Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty through CBI Finance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most "warranty" programs are basically insurance programs. And like any insurance or the lottery (same concept) people are expected to pay in more than they get out, on average.

So by definition, there is more than 50% chance (probably more like 70%) that you will be throwing your money away.
But if you never have any money available to do repairs, it may be a prudent choice (although putting the money in a dedicated bank account would be more prudent)

Anyone had any experience with the CBI Finance warranty program?
The problem with their warranty is that it only covers an explicit parts list. I just reviewed the list and it wouldn't even cover the most common items for my Model S like door handles, axel / half shafts, LCD screens and suspension components. However it does look like it would cover the battery and drive units but to a maximum of $15,000.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I have had some correspondence with CBI to clarify some things. They cover the cooling systems (already had that repaired), AC and heating, brake components (excluding wear items like pads), switches and control actuators (already had that repaired), steering gear and touch screen and related elrectronic components (already had that repaired). I believe that they cover the axle shafts as well. However, parts like the shafts and syspension componensts are not unique to Tesla--many EV shops can perform those repairs. Moreover, the issue with the axle shafts is related to the riding height and extreme angle of the shafts/inner tire wear. If one has installed an adjustable camber kit and now drive primarily in low, there is no reason that the shafts won't last a very long time. Is there a possibility they could "wiggle" out of some coverage---maybe. In my experience every time I take my X in, the cost is at least $1500. Still thinking about it.

I have had some correspondence with CBI to clarify some things. They cover the cooling systems (already had that repaired), AC and heating, brake components (excluding wear items like pads), switches and control actuators (already had that repaired), steering gear and touch screen and related elrectronic components (already had that repaired). I believe that they cover the axle shafts as well. However, parts like the shafts and syspension componensts are not unique to Tesla--many EV shops can perform those repairs. Moreover, the issue with the axle shafts is related to the riding height and extreme angle of the shafts/inner tire wear. If one has installed an adjustable camber kit and now drive primarily in low, there is no reason that the shafts won't last a very long time. Is there a possibility they could "wiggle" out of some coverage---maybe. In my experience every time I take my X in, the cost is at least $1500. Still thinking about it.
Thanks of the feedback. If you look at the coverage doc they have posted (CBI Finance Coverage), axles are listed as covered under PHEV and HEV but not BEV. I've had the front half-shaft axles replaced twice on my Model S in the last 4 years under warranty and I always drive in the normal height position. They are a known problem for Model S and X but I hope the latest parts revision will last longer. Tesla now has a special discounted price to cover this out of warranty because it is so common.

Also, reading the fine print of the coverage, they only cover the battery for 1 year or 20,000 km past the manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks of the feedback. If you look at the coverage doc they have posted (CBI Finance Coverage), axles are listed as covered under PHEV and HEV but not BEV. I've had the front half-shaft axles replaced twice on my Model S in the last 4 years under warranty and I always drive in the normal height position. They are a known problem for Model S and X but I hope the latest parts revision will last longer. Tesla now has a special discounted price to cover this out of warranty because it is so common.

Also, reading the fine print of the coverage, they only cover the battery for 1 year or 20,000 km past the manufacturer's warranty.
Looking again at the parts list they list "Shaft assembly" as covered for BEV. That looks like it would cover the half-shafts.

Hey Tesla Family-
Just wanted to present another option y'all might not be aware of. We are XCare through Excelrate auto and we have a variety of extended warranty options for you. We are all Tesla veterans and created a warranty specifically to work around the direct-to-cosumer service process. We have even gone a step further than Tesla and just released our new XCare Battery+ Drive Unit protection!

Check us out for more info or a quote:

Let us know if you have any questions and lets keep you on the road for years to come!
-Team XCare

Hey Tesla Family-
Just wanted to present another option y'all might not be aware of. We are XCare through Excelrate auto and we have a variety of extended warranty options for you. We are all Tesla veterans and created a warranty specifically to work around the direct-to-cosumer service process. We have even gone a step further than Tesla and just released our new XCare Battery+ Drive Unit protection!

Check us out for more info or a quote:

Let us know if you have any questions and lets keep you on the road for years to come!
-Team XCare
This is the Canada forum section. Do you offer warranties in Canada? I see you are based in the US.

I've been in contact with them and one thing interesting came to mind. You can subscribe to their warranty (or insurance, whatever you want to call it) after your own one has expired and there is only a one month cool down before you can make a claim. So, if you have an expensive part to replace and can drive something else in the mean time, could be an inexpensive option.

I've been in contact with them and one thing interesting came to mind. You can subscribe to their warranty (or insurance, whatever you want to call it) after your own one has expired and there is only a one month cool down before you can make a claim. So, if you have an expensive part to replace and can drive something else in the mean time, could be an inexpensive option.
Good idea