Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warrington Supercharger parking charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A heads up to anyone who uses the supercharger at Warrington Park Royal Hotel
They’ve put a new ANPR system in place and you’ll now need to register your car at the hotel otherwise you’ll be hit with a parking fine.
Signage is there but not especially obvious (quelle surprise!)
This information has not yet made it to the on-board Supercharger details.

That's going to work well, not. Last time I was there, there were Teslas all over the place (2 very slow chargers and it was a Friday evening) and the SCs are tucked around the backside so you need to enter the car park just to get an idea of the length of wait - on that occasion, I bailed and came back early the following morning. Quite frankly these are the worst superchargers that I have encountered by far, although to be fair, not helped by being a short drive out of Warrington and a cold morning so not much time to warm things up - I peaked at 35kW!

So presumably doing a drive by, you are going to have to still register?

Reactions: DaveNN
A heads up to anyone who uses the supercharger at Warrington Park Royal Hotel
They’ve put a new ANPR system in place and you’ll now need to register your car at the hotel otherwise you’ll be hit with a parking fine.
Signage is there but not especially obvious (quelle surprise!)
This information has not yet made it to the on-board Supercharger details.
I was there a few weeks back as the M6 was shut due to an 80yr old driving north up the southbound etc...carnage.
Whilst it was dark, I spotted the ANPR signage but I am part owl and yes, perhaps not obvious.
My advice would be get the car on charge ( around the back), registered in reception and get yourself a pint.
The bar is very decent.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I was there a few weeks back as the M6 was shut due to an 80yr old driving north up the southbound etc...carnage.
Whilst it was dark, I spotted the ANPR signage but I am part owl and yes, perhaps not obvious.
My advice would be get the car on charge ( around the back), registered in reception and get yourself a pint.
The bar is very decent.

Note that you can register either at the hotel main reception ... all the way round to the front ... or at the Health Spa entrance which is close to the Supercharger stalls themselves. (If you are at the main reception and there's a queue you will see there's a dark screen in the middle of the desk facing you ... don't wait at the back of the queue like I did, just go to the front, tap the screen and you will see that is where you add your registration.)

These chargers are V2 and are obviously well used so you are going to be sharing, with accordingly slower speeds. However, I wouldn't say they were slower than any other pair of V2 Supercharger stalls.

On reading this it sounds like things would be better if this pair didn't exist, then the navigation would route everyone to Burtonwood where there are a decent number, whilst Burtonwood is actually on the M62 it's only a couple of minutes from the M6 for those going north/south.

On reading this it sounds like things would be better if this pair didn't exist, then the navigation would route everyone to Burtonwood where there are a decent number, whilst Burtonwood is actually on the M62 it's only a couple of minutes from the M6 for those going north/south.
So what do hotel/gym users do if they need to charge their cars?

As a regular gym user with ANPR system my registration in entered permanently by the staff so I don't need to do it every time. Why would I charge there when my home is much closer and cheaper?
The Hotel is close to a M6 junction and car sharers were leaving their cars in the hotel car park. Not any more.
Yes, there is that.
To be clear I, too, don't drive somewhere to charge my car up...my home is closer.

Eh?
Having an EV charging facility on site is a great benefit to many hotel residents.
When I stay away, it's my first consideration.
I tend to prefer one that has free or inexpensive destination chargers. If I'm going to stay in for the night there is not much use for a Supercharger. Plug for one hour and you're most likely to get hit with idle fees. So unless you don't mind popping out of the gym mid-training to unplug the car once it becomes fully charged up and move it around the parking lot it's a hassle really.

Eh?
Having an EV charging facility on site is a great benefit to many hotel residents.
A hotel with AC charging might be worth the effort to go to as usually its cheaper and you can leave overnight but if you are planning to DC charge like a supercharger then it doesn't make much difference whether its at your hotel or a services as you will need to go and move it again when its charged.

I doubt local gym users will be using a DC charger when they could charge for a lot less at home, the exception being people without chargers but thats more of a temporary issue for most people.

I tend to prefer one that has free or inexpensive destination chargers. If I'm going to stay in for the night there is not much use for a Supercharger. Plug for one hour and you're most likely to get hit with idle fees. So unless you don't mind popping out of the gym mid-training to unplug the car once it becomes fully charged up and move it around the parking lot it's a hassle really.
I didn't mention supercharging...

Eh?
charging but not a super charger.

it makes no sense to have SC at the hotel. Unless you fancy to plug you car, check in and then move your car 25 minutes later.

In reality, 7KW charger over night is what is required for hotel guests. so it makes more sense to have 20 chargers at 7 kw rather than 1 SC at 150kw

it makes no sense to have SC at the hotel. Unless you fancy to plug you car, check in and then move your car 25 minutes later.
AC / desty charging for overnight guests / longer stays.

SC for folks on route who may want to stop and eat/drink/rest break. That’s how we’ve done when driving through France for example. More than 2 SC bays at given hotel site over there though.

They manage to do it fine over the other side of the ditch. Our charging infrastructure is comparatively embarrassing
I agree
I was impressed how more or less any petrol station in Netherlands have additional fast charging station (50 kw or more) near where pump/washer is located. so basically - anywhere you have a place to charge. cool.

However, there are few nice developments in UK as well.

Near to where I live, on Ashby-de-la-Zouch, on M42, EG Group (Euro Garages?) have installed "ChargePoint" station. Location - far end of Esso Garage. So something similar as they have in Netherlands!
What is interesting, is that they have a large display where they show the charging cost (0.65 £ now) on large display - which is very similar style to the standard petrol station price list.
4 x 150 kw - is very nice addition to Ashby and one DC charge in very close proximity to me ;)
500x500

and around few hundred yards away, Tesco car park, has 4 x 75 kw CCS by PodPoint (dearer than the one above) - and I found it out just a moments ago.. because Tesco car park has 2 entrances and I always used to come from another than the chargers installed :D

so infrastructure is getting there quite quickly!

Reactions: Sean. and MrBadger