Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was all ready to pull the trigger on a Model X...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Chaps, been lurking on this for a while now reading anything and everything to do with the Model X.

Took a 24hr test drive last week and was very impressed, so much so that after dropping the car off I resolved to try and buy one. I have done the sums and it works out a similar cost to buying a £35k cheaper Q7 over a 4 year period which is the car I nearly bought before trying the X.

I'm coming from a BMW 535d M Sport which is rammed with extras so I'm used to comfort seats, auto wipers, great ambient lighting at night, nappa leather seats, excellent rolling refinement etc. But, 90% of my driving is around town and for short trips so it botheres me firing up a 3.0l turbo engine to go down the road, I know its doing the car no good and my fuel economy is rubbish with a cold diesel engine.

So, in spite of the lack of premium polish I resolved to get one, I love the technology, the power and the autopilot is great although the nag is killing me and I did get banned once...

I was minutes away from leaving a deposit however I stipulated that I wanted to try it on 20" wheels to assess comfort and also check luggage capacity. I turned up today again with my suitcases in my wifes car and with one rear seat down it blitzed the luggage test swallowing 6 suitcases with room for more.

I then took it on a 30+ mile trip which flew by due to AP and shopped for a number of hours, I was fairly comfortable on the first 24hr test drive but couldn't get comfortable on this one. I fiddled endlessly with the seat and still no joy.

The journey back was hellish, rain and heavy traffic and the car was calming if somewhat noisy BUT, I still couldnt get comfortable...

I went out again this evening for an hour and no amount of fiddling made a difference, maybe I was already sore, maybe I am overtired (5hrs last night) I don't know but now I have serious doubts. I can feel a steel bar in the seat under my thigh which has been commented on, and the lack of thigh support is an omission in my book but seat comfort and refinement are something I have taken for granted and now its really unsettling me.

I'm going to have to sleep on this (again!) and maybe sit in a few others at the dealership tomorrow when fresh and not sore before making a decision but this first world problem is unsettling me.

Anyway, they're amazing cars, and I may pull the trigger tomorrow, so many of you love them and cant be wrong and it does suit my day to day, if not perhaps long distance cruising so who knows, we'll see.

Thoughts and comments gratefully appreciated.

@Peteski is a big dude in the UK. He probably has some comments.

I had the cheapy cloth/leather interior in my X which was perfectly comfortable but I don't know what your interior does and if it makes a difference with the "bar"?

And are the Model s seats the same? You can drive around in one of them just for A/B testing?

Seating is subjective. For my wife and I, our X seats are the most comfortable ones we have ever had in any car. (FWIW, she hates the next-gen leather seats in my S).

BTW we got the cloth seats in the X, they aren't as hot.

OP, you might ask Tesla if they can get S or 3 seats if you find those more comfortable. I am not sure if they would bolt in, or if the connections are different.

I’ve not got my X yet but I had an hour test drive and also sat in a number of MX’s and not found an issue with the seats “yet” I’m also a very big guy and apparently over the weight limit of what the seats are designed for.......

Obviously if your not comfortable driving then it’s likely to spoil the overall experience but given that your first ride was good maybe it was just a bad day the 2nd time round the 20’s should be nicer drive than 22’s.

Why don’t you ask for a 24 hour test drive?

@Peteski is a big dude in the UK. He probably has some comments.

Well I'm 6' 1" and 190 lbs, so a reasonable sized dude, lol!

I find the MX seats very comfortable and have never felt any steel bar under my thighs (although someone else mentioned it in another thread recently). I agree with the general lack of thigh support, although it is supposed to be good for you! I've owned a few BMWs and they are at the opposite extreme with tons of thigh support with extending seat bases etc.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference, but IMHO the MX seats are pretty comfortable compared to most. I have my seat set up pretty upright with plenty of lumbar support and I think that helps a lot with posture. The seat bases seem relatively short, but I soon got used to that and generally sit with my feet flat on the floor when in AP, rather than stretched forward. Again it just creates a better posture than reclining back with legs extended. The MX has a huge seat adjustment range in terms of height, recline and tilt and plenty of lumbar adjustment, so it takes a bit of time to really find the optimum position.

I would suggest another long test drive and try a few different seating positions. I would be surprised if you can't find an acceptable position.

6’2 205lbs

Both of my X's seats have been very comfortable.

Older has white perf seats with 42k and have taken 10 long trips (700 miles) very nicely.

Latest X is non perf but also very good for long drives.

Btw: I’ve got 4 different seat settings depending on type of travel/how my back feels. You can’t do that with any non Tesla.

I'm 6'9 320lbs 4 percent body fat. I just can't seem to find that correct mirror/seat position combination. I like to look at myself when I drive, and the side/rear mirrors just aren't large enough to accommodate. On weekends, I move the seat all the way back, angle the mirror properly, but all I get is a view of my pecs. No good. I know that they are 10x the size of an avg guys pecs, but I want to see some upper abs too for perspective. On weekday mornings, I need to check out my face before work to make sure I am making the most of what I got going on. The mirror is angled up slightly, seat halfway forward, but all I get to gaze on is my chiseled chin. Helloooooo I have some great cheekbones and perfect symmetry too. Oh I guess not. The worst is the drivers side view mirror. No matter what I try, I can't get it to reflect my obliques. All I see is my arm. Obviously my arms are huge, if you are looking in the side window that is pretty much all you see. Tesla, raise the side mirrors up and lower the armrest to give me some relief. I am seriously considering adding reflective material to the inside of the windows and roof so I can see what I'm doing(flexing), and anyone outside the car can see me too.
Get with the game, Tesla!

I'm a skinny guy, 5'9, 155lbs and the seats in my X are just not comfortable for me. I can't quite seem to find a position to make it comfortable. I had to buy a seat cushion just to make it bearable. I love the X though, enough so that I am putting up with the seats

I'm a big dude living in the hot desert. We opted for the cloth seats in both vehicles as we find it much more comfortable temperature and breathability wise in both summer and winter temps. Plus the cloth doesn't cost extra. I find the seats to be pretty comfortable. We took a 3,000 mile trip this summer without any issues. I could stand for the bolsters to be a bit farther apart, but I can live with them while I attempt to slim myself down. :)

Reactions: K3Man
I'm just about 6'2" and around 225#. Never found the seats to be uncomfortable on long drives. I suppose it's really subjective. If it's uncomfortable for you, then no rationalizing from anyone else will make it comfortable. I have the fabled ventilated UltraWhite seats.

Guys, panic over!

Thanks so much for all your feedback, very reassuring. BTW I'm 5'9" and weigh 14st, I'm no lightweight but not huge either.

I drove the car back to the dealer (sorry store!) this morning and asked to sit in quite a few X's. They all immediately felt far more comfortable and it was actually a huge relief for my legs. I then went back to the car with the girl and she looked at the seats and said although the car is a Dec 2017 registration, it was manufactured in mid July 2017 with older style leather seats. The leather had stretched and the padding sagged (10k miles) so that my bum was sitting lower in the seat and the steel bar was sitting under my hamstrings and I was just in discomfort from having my heavy legs (all muscle ;) ) laying across a steel bar!

Ready to proceed now and I'm glad I took the time to sit in other vehicles before walking away.

Hopefully placing the order tomorrow morning for an inventory car with the following spec.

Model X 100D
Midnight Silver
20" Silver wheels
7 Seater
Beige/Oak premium interior
Premium Upgrades Package
Enhanced Autopilot

I think that's it.

Excited but also more than a little nervous I have to admit, am I going to love it?

Guys, panic over!

Thanks so much for all your feedback, very reassuring. BTW I'm 5'9" and weigh 14st, I'm no lightweight but not huge either.

I drove the car back to the dealer (sorry store!) this morning and asked to sit in quite a few X's. They all immediately felt far more comfortable and it was actually a huge relief for my legs. I then went back to the car with the girl and she looked at the seats and said although the car is a Dec 2017 registration, it was manufactured in mid July 2017 with older style leather seats. The leather had stretched and the padding sagged (10k miles) so that my bum was sitting lower in the seat and the steel bar was sitting under my hamstrings and I was just in discomfort from having my heavy legs (all muscle ;) ) laying across a steel bar!

Excited but also more than a little nervous I have to admit, am I going to love it?

It ain't easy being huge and ripped and trying to fit into a normal human's world. You go get some!

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
Guys, panic over!

Ready to proceed now and I'm glad I took the time to sit in other vehicles before walking away.

Hopefully placing the order tomorrow morning for an inventory car with the following spec.

Model X 100D
Midnight Silver
20" Silver wheels
7 Seater
Beige/Oak premium interior
Premium Upgrades Package
Enhanced Autopilot

I think that's it.

You'll definitely love it...

Big dude here just coming off a long road trip in the X. The seats are terrible. Uncomfortable and not really that adjustable. The vinyl is hot and doesn't breathe. You can't consider this car a "luxury" vehicle in my mind. The tech is awesome, the company is decent, build quality and attention to detail/comfort - not so much.
I agree on the vinyl; I like the look of the white, but hate the way it holds body heat. I'm not sure why you tried to call it a "luxury" vehicle in your mind considering that it 's not. It's a premium vehicle at best, but batteries and cutting edge technology are expensive. My best guess is that the price seems to make people say luxury when they shouldn't and you fell into that trap.

Other than the X seats sitting higher off the floor, I can't tell any difference between the S and X seats (in the 2017/2018 models anyway).
I think you're right that they're the same except height (the amount of open space under the seats in the X supports this theory), but I find the seats in the S to be much more comfortable for that very reason. Unlike what most people apparently find comfortable, I prefer to sit on my butt and not have my legs touch the seat so much, but I want to sit back as far as possible for visibility and head space. In an S, that's no problem (although my hair still rubs the headliner in front of the sunroof), but in the X, because the seats don't adjust to a flat position and are higher off the ground, it often feels like they are cutting off circulation to my legs. I would actually prefer the seat base to tilt forward, but I'm guessing regulations don't allow that anymore, because I've yet to find a post-90's vehicle that would do that.

• Helpful
Reactions: shiz