Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was I wrong?

Are you holding out for a $35k version?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed I would have been able to purchase a Tesla model 3 for $35k by now. I put $1k in April 2016. Was I stupid then to think I’d be driving my $35k car now? Am I wrong to think it will be 2020 before I can get it? Is it a good business practice to take $1k pre-order deposits for something that can’t be delivered for 4 years? Do consumers care? Should I be worried that corners will be cut in production to make a profit on a $35k car? I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. I’m still dreamin of my $35k model 3 in my driveway.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
You know Musk's track record with regards to hitting production timelines. Is it disappointing three years later to have nothing to show for your deposit? Yes. Should you have expected this? Yes.

Do I sympathize? Most definitely yes. As for cutting corners to meet production targets, take a look at this forum for an answer to that on the even more expensive trims...

I think the $35,000 version will be available on the second half of this year. I wouldn't worry about cut corners and sloppy build quality. If the interior is anything like the cloth option in the S and X, it'll be very nice. Of course, you won't get a number of features on the $35K version... as long as you're okay with that, I think you should hold out for a few more months. I don't think they'll build very many $35K versions at first, so it's important to have that reservation if you want one of the first ones.

I’ve read posts about the paint dings, scrapes, and chips. I also have watched some youtubes. I know there are complaints about the panel gaps.

If what’s visible is sloppy shouldn’t we assume what’s not visible is sloppy too?

Can they source cheaper materials for the base model to cut a profit? Cheaper labor?

The texts, e-mails, and phone calls trying to get me to buy a non-base version tell me they don’t want to sell a $35k car. But I feel that was the selling point originally.

I assumed I would have been able to purchase a Tesla model 3 for $35k by now.

Q: I put $1k in April 2016. Was I stupid then to think I’d be driving my $35k car now?
A: Nope, It's coming soon. I think when the Model 3 arrived in 2017, it was assumed that the entry level or base model would come as the last offering, just like in the Model S and X. I think you'll see it in 2019, possibly by summer.

Q: Am I wrong to think it will be 2020 before I can get it?
A: Yes. I think all signs point to a summer of 2019 arrival of the $35K base model.

Q: Is it a good business practice to take $1k pre-order deposits for something that can’t be delivered for 4 years?
A: Sure. Tesla does not force anyone to put a deposit. People choose to put down a deposit because it's important for them to get on the list. Tesla take a deposit, and it is fully refundable, so it's not bad business practice. It's all about changing the automotive space, from vehicle, to how vehicles are sold, to the "make a deposit"... Worse case, the money is refunded back... albeit through a process that can sometimes take 6 weeks for the check to arrive, but it will arrive.

Q: Do consumers care?
A: I'm not too sure. On some regions, absolutely, and in other, I think consumers don't necessarily care as they still feel like they will get their $35K Model 3. Worse case, you can ask for your refund back.

Q: Should I be worried that corners will be cut in production to make a profit on a $35k car?
A: Nope. I don't think this is about cutting corners, but economies of scale to reduce the actual cost of the vehicle (parts, assembly, feature/function). Elon said that the $35K base model is still an awesome EV. It won't come with EAP or FSD, or even the PUP, but those are add-ons to an awesome EV experience... Some of which can be added in a future if they are software (like EAP and FSD).

I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. I’m still dreamin of my $35k model 3 in my driveway.

Don't let the dream disappear. It's just taking time for him to achieve the $35K vehicle in a way that he's not going to take a loss on it. You'll be a proud Model 3 owner soon, and at that point you'll forgot about the lengthy time you've waited. You'll be driving more miles than you've done in your ICE, with a huge grin on your face. You'll also feel proud that you never gave into the "I'll never get my base Model 3", and you'll begin to enjoy the same excitement that other Model 3 owners are currently feeling right now.

What is invisible and is great engineering that makes this car compete in every category, from city driving to track performance. All that while being the safest car ever tested.

If you are researching reliability, keep in mind that issues have subsided as production numbers increased.

Reactions: StealthP3D
E20C6216-351E-494A-8120-B6456F7064D8.jpeg
Yes they tried to push me into canceling. That didn’t feel good. Why would they think I want to cancel? I’m waiting patiently for almost 3 years for my order :)

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar and GSP
I assumed I would have been able to purchase a Tesla model 3 for $35k by now. I put $1k in April 2016. Was I stupid then to think I’d be driving my $35k car now? Am I wrong to think it will be 2020 before I can get it? Is it a good business practice to take $1k pre-order deposits for something that can’t be delivered for 4 years? Do consumers care? Should I be worried that corners will be cut in production to make a profit on a $35k car? I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. I’m still dreamin of my $35k model 3 in my driveway.

Not stupid, just expectations were a bit too ambitious.

Assuming you were able to get a $35K Model 3 would you have paid $8,000 for EAP and FSD? I am thinking not.

Tesla would not exist right now if those 120,000 Model 3s were all $35K versus $60K.

Economics is the study of finite resources and unlimited wants. and how to allocate scarce resources.

Considering the demand for $35,000 Model 3s would be near infinite, how would you fairly allocate those cars?

Smart business is to prioritize those who are past customers and supported the brand.

There are over 120,000 Model S and Model X owners in the United States. If the first 120,000 Model 3's went to them

- you would still be waiting.

To solve your problem you can either

1.) Do nothing and wait. Though $35,000 will arguable go up to $37,000 or so (directly or indirectly) for inflationary reasons.

2.) Use whatever time you have now to save more money and cut expenses elsewhere. Bigger downpayment means you can afford a more expensive car.

Lastly, remember price is what you pay. Value is what you get.

Any version of the Model 3 is worth its price.

I’ve read posts about the paint dings, scrapes, and chips. I also have watched some youtubes. I know there are complaints about the panel gaps.

If what’s visible is sloppy shouldn’t we assume what’s not visible is sloppy too?

Can they source cheaper materials for the base model to cut a profit? Cheaper labor?

The texts, e-mails, and phone calls trying to get me to buy a non-base version tell me they don’t want to sell a $35k car. But I feel that was the selling point originally.

You’re in San Diego with Stores near you. Have you gone to one of them and walked around looking at the cars, not only in the Store, but on lot either for delivery or in for service? Have you looked over the multitude of Model 3s in southern California parking lots available to walk past and see? Should get a good idea of build quality and panel gaps out there.

Keep in mind most panel gaps if an owner feels he has them can be adjusted rather easily. In the beginning of production the gaps were sometimes more of an issue for people. I don’t see many complaints (and let’s face it forums are were you will find them) on this any more. I had a bumper/hood adjustment made in my 9/2018 build and I think 3 dirt specks in my paint that all were addressed to our satisfaction. I did not go around with a caliper and measure my panels gaps but visually to us the panels look pretty evenly distributed. Not sure what kind of person you are with respect to this.

I have no idea where you come up with some of your concerns. The cars are on an assembly line and will all be built to the same standards and Tesla has improved on the cars as time goes on. If something can be done better, like the headlights, they’ll do it then and not wait for a year or so. A less expensive material choice for seating or headliner likely will be in the standard model—I do suspect there will be a hard-wearing fabric—the one that was offered in the MS we had as a loaner once was very comfortable and felt nice BTW. Didn’t feel cheap at all. While my car doesn’t have alcantera headliner, I find what I do have in my car to be very nice. There will be other material areas where different products will be offered from the MR/LR PUP package. And I wouldn’t doubt at some point in the standard version if there aren’t upgrade items you’ll be able to customize but don’t see that happening in the very beginning—just like when the AWD came out they only offered black interior. I assume there are still a lot of deposit holders in the U.S. for the standard version and Tesla will want to get them out to people who have waited as soon as possible.

Tesla is working to simplify production of their cars — from future MS/MX cars down to the Model 3 and its standard version. Simplifying doesn’t mean using cheaper parts, just thinking smarter in body construction/wiring/etc. that saves time on the line and gets the job done, like in reducing wiring harnesses with shorter runs. Things like the SuperBottle design where Tesla created this one system to handle so many cooling functions in the car that even Sandy Munro thought was the best fabulous smartest design he has seen and previously unseen in the automotive industry. Your standard Model 3 will eseentially be the same car as other Model 3s. You’ll have the same smart, sexy, stylish look as the more expensive models. Your standard model will have benefited from all the Model 3s previously built. Think of it this way: The higher priced versions were more the production guinea pigs where problems got worked out and suppliers got tested. I don’t think Tesla will ever produce a car, at any price range, that looks “cheap”. Your wait time has allowed them to be profitable and gear up and smooth out production, all to your advantage. Pretty typical progression for any company to sell higher end products first to help payoff the initial investment costs so it was probably naive to think the lower cost models would come out first from production and not the way they have.

As for the labor, the standard model coming this year will be made in the same factory with the same experienced workers as their other car models.

If you really have an issue believing Tesla will sell a sub-standard car when the standard model comes out, just get your $1K back and buy something else.

Last edited:
103C2B7D-E179-4AF6-A494-3F3ACE364509.jpeg
Not stupid, just expectations were a bit too ambitious.

Assuming you were able to get a $35K Model 3 would you have paid $8,000 for EAP and FSD? I am thinking not.

Tesla would not exist right now if those 120,000 Model 3s were all $35K versus $60K.

Economics is the study of finite resources and unlimited wants. and how to allocate scarce resources.

Considering the demand for $35,000 Model 3s would be near infinite, how would you fairly allocate those cars?

Smart business is to prioritize those who are past customers and supported the brand.

There are over 120,000 Model S and Model X owners in the United States. If the first 120,000 Model 3's went to them

- you would still be waiting.

To solve your problem you can either

1.) Do nothing and wait. Though $35,000 will arguable go up to $37,000 or so (directly or indirectly) for inflationary reasons.

2.) Use whatever time you have now to save more money and cut expenses elsewhere. Bigger downpayment means you can afford a more expensive car.

Lastly, remember price is what you pay. Value is what you get.

Any version of the Model 3 is worth its price.
I am actually concerned with that very first definition of economics.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar
View attachment 368419
I am actually concerned with that very first definition of economics.

That's a definition for dictionaries. For practitioners we use something like this:

The economic problem – sometimes called basic or central economic problem – asserts that an economy's finite resources are insufficient to satisfy all human wants and needs. It assumes that human wants are unlimited, but the means to satisfy human wants are limited. The economic problem is the problem of rational management of resources or the problem of optimum utilization of resources. It arises because resources are scarce and resources have alternative uses

That's a definition for dictionaries. For practitioners we use something like this:

The economic problem – sometimes called basic or central economic problem – asserts that an economy's finite resources are insufficient to satisfy all human wants and needs. It assumes that human wants are unlimited, but the means to satisfy human wants are limited. The economic problem is the problem of rational management of resources or the problem of optimum utilization of resources. It arises because resources are scarce and resources have alternative uses
You said “economics is”. Now you used the same research tool as I and are defining an economics problem. So the model 3 is an economics problem.

Surely a “practioner” of economics would not say the demand for Tesla model 3s is “nearly infinite” as you have done? Or are you a practitioner of economic problems specifically?

You said “economics is”. Now you used the same research tool as I and are defining an economics problem. So the model 3 is an economics problem.

Surely a “practioner” of economics would not say the demand for Tesla model 3s is “nearly infinite” as you have done? Or are you a practitioner of economic problems specifically?

There is no point to study something unless there is a problem to solve. Unless you don't care about compensation of course.

If ASP of a Model 3 is over $50,000 and you are waiting 1.5 years from the first car produced, its common sense that you'd be waiting much longer than that if the car was only $35,000 (ignoring Tesla would be dead and no point).

Look, you can debate semantics or you can start providing details on your situation and I'll be glad to assist you with an optimized route to a Model 3 asap. The $35,000 Model 3 comes with trade offs btw. It's not identical to the current offerings just at a reduced price.

Or not, and make the same post wondering the same thing in 4 months.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
View attachment 368406 Yes they tried to push me into canceling. That didn’t feel good. Why would they think I want to cancel? I’m waiting patiently for almost 3 years for my order :)

I suspect it was reverse psychology. ;) Get you to think if you might want to jump now on a MR (no pressure approach to do so) or ascertain that you are still interested in the standard version.

• Informative
Reactions: StillDreamin