Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I’ve decided that a model 3 is better for me than a model s. Your thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been on the hunt for a preowned model s for a little while now and I’ve had some issues with dealerships. Had a chat with a sales rep at a Tesla showroom today and I think that the model 3 might be a better choice for my budget and from a practical standpoint.

Less to go wrong ( no enhanced suspension)
No burn in on MCU etc and I can get more bang for the buck with regard to options ( EAP, LR and low mileage. ) the posts I’ve seen here about using the preowned program seem good - and best off all- I don’t have the stress of a dealership telling me that they “‘must”‘ sell all cars with LoJack and they can’t remove it lol

is there anything about the model 3 I haven’t considered?

Reactions: father_of_6
Model 3 is undergoing a refresh. You can get a good price on a left over, but pickings will be small. If you order a new one, you will need to wait over a month for delivery. Nobody knowsfor sure what will be difference on the refresh.

Model 3 or Model S depends on what you’re looking for. I have a 2019 Model S and a 2023 Model 3 RWD.
The Model S is faster, roomier inside, has a more useful hatchback and the adaptive air suspension is smooth.
But, it also costs more than a Model 3.
The Model 3 is great if you’re just looking for a daily driver that has the storage space of a regular sedan, you can’t beat it. If you don’t need the space and upgraded suspension, save your money and go with the 3.

They are certainly different cars ... to choose one over the other really depends on what you want in a car (and it's not just as a daily).
Personally have had both as performance models but really enjoyed the model 3 the most. Its fun and agile...model S was like a power boat cruiser, fun going straight but not so much in the twisties.

I have both, I have the model S LR and Model 3 RWD. If you want ride quality, quietness and comfort, and long drive, model S it is. If it's for daily driving less than 20 miles daily and no need to worry about where to park and way cheaper, model 3 RWD is enough. If you really need the range and interior upgrade go for the 3 LR. And if you want performance, be ready to spend on tires and rougher rides. I use both in different situations.

Been on the hunt for a preowned model s for a little while now and I’ve had some issues with dealerships. Had a chat with a sales rep at a Tesla showroom today and I think that the model 3 might be a better choice for my budget and from a practical standpoint.

Less to go wrong ( no enhanced suspension)
No burn in on MCU etc and I can get more bang for the buck with regard to options ( EAP, LR and low mileage. ) the posts I’ve seen here about using the preowned program seem good - and best off all- I don’t have the stress of a dealership telling me that they “‘must”‘ sell all cars with LoJack and they can’t remove it lol

is there anything about the model 3 I haven’t considered?
It depends on what you're looking for. The model 3 is way more responsive in terms of its handling than the model S and has many more affordable suspension upgrades and coilover kits to make it handle and ride even better. There is some evidence that the Highland is actually going to be a hatchback so it may be more practical than the current model 3 in terms of carrying stuff. I'd wait until the Highland comes out to make my decision either way. Although the model S plaid is way faster than our performance model 3s, we can't even use the performance we have so I think the Plaid is overkill. And it's pretty much neck and neck in terms of performance between the model S long range and the performance model 3. If you're looking for fun to drive the model 3 is the way to go. If you're looking to carry a lot of people and do a lot of long distance driving, the model S might get the nod.

I've responded to a handful of posters looking at years old S's for about the same price as a new Model 3. My advice was always the same - get a Model 3 instead.

I got a Model S as a loaner... granted it was very old, but I very much did *NOT* like that vehicle. It drove like a boat, as another poster mentioned. It also had some bizarre design choices.

I'm sure the redesigned new Model S is much nicer than that one was, but I personally still prefer the handling of the Model 3. I'm not in water, so why would I want me vehicle to feel like a boat, matey? Model 3 it is... the best go-kart in town.

I did this same calculus a few years back and ended up with an M3P. I then threw some money at a comfort suspension and am super happy with the choice. In my opinion, the 3 is the better drivers car and is more reliable. If you value NVH and suspension comfort above all else - and at times in my life I’ve been this guy - then the S is the way to go. Unfortunately, and in my opinion, the S is pretty long in the tooth and leaves much to be desired in this comparison.

I did this same calculus a few years back and ended up with an M3P. I then threw some money at a comfort suspension and am super happy with the choice. In my opinion, the 3 is the better drivers car and is more reliable. If you value NVH and suspension comfort above all else - and at times in my life I’ve been this guy - then the S is the way to go. Unfortunately, and in my opinion, the S is pretty long in the tooth and leaves much to be desired in this comparison.
Which comfort suspension did you end up with? I've had 2 M3P's in the past and my biggest gripe was the rough jarring suspension. I live in the city where the roads really suck so I felt everything in the M3.

Also, do you lose any part of your warranty by altering the factory suspension?

Thanks!

Reactions: BrisbaneB

Eeeeek!

Which comfort suspension did you end up with? I've had 2 M3P's in the past and my biggest gripe was the rough jarring suspension. I live in the city where the roads really suck so I felt everything in the M3.

Also, do you lose any part of your warranty by altering the factory suspension?

Thanks!
You cannot deny warranty coverage for owner modifications unless you can show - and not simply offer some flaky argument but actually have evidence - that the modification caused the failure. In other words they can't blanket disallow a warranty repair simply because the car's been modified.

The most failure prone area by far in the model 3 suspension is the front upper control arm which was poorly sealed around the ball joint. Tesla has been replacing those en masse for pretty much everybody if they have any kind of squeaking noise in the front suspension. They know that that has nothing to do with aftermarket issues and it shouldn't be an issue there. The poster who had that repair denied is an outlier. We've had both cars upper control arms done in our cars, both of which have aftermarket suspensions. If you get a crappy service center they might pull that crap but it's still crap and not the way most service centers are operating.

As for other kinds of suspension failure the second most common would probably be blown shocks from pothole or other road hazzard Impact damage and there of course the problem is not the aftermarket suspension, it's the dynamic overload of a part and you'll just have to go buy another shock from Mountain Pass or whoever you bought the part from.

Long story short. Don't sweat it. And the reviews on the Mountain Pass coilover kits have been pretty much A+ across the board whether you go with the Sport or the Comfort Adjustable or non-adjustable kits. They're all fantastic. And most people feel that the car ride handling balance is really transformed by the significantly upgraded shocks. And you can set the car up to be either really firm or really pretty comfortable which is something you can't do with a stock suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: theslimshadyist

You can find an anecdotal example of almost any kind of Tesla Service Center horseshit but that does not establish that that practice is widespread. We have had both upper control arms replaced in both of our cars which have aftermarket suspensions. Nobody even raised a question and they knew that the failure of the upper control arm had nothing to do with aftermarket parts and everything to do with the crappy sealing of the ball joint on the stock control arm. If you get somebody who's ignorant you should escalate the issue to a supervisor or even to a regional office review. The failure of the upper control arm due to moisture getting into the ball joint is a well-known and documented issue. Like I said one ignorant shop does not prove anything.

I went with the MPP comfort suspension. I also put in all their rear arms except for the trailing arms. In the front, I installed their front upper control arms. I’d already had the factory ones replaced under warranty once and the second set was squeaking. I’m super happy with this setup. The Stealth came with 18” wheels from the factory.