Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was I wrong?

Are you holding out for a $35k version?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed I would have been able to purchase a Tesla model 3 for $35k by now. I put $1k in April 2016. Was I stupid then to think I’d be driving my $35k car now? Am I wrong to think it will be 2020 before I can get it? Is it a good business practice to take $1k pre-order deposits for something that can’t be delivered for 4 years? Do consumers care? Should I be worried that corners will be cut in production to make a profit on a $35k car? I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. I’m still dreamin of my $35k model 3 in my driveway.
Presumably you knew the $35K version wouldn’t have the same features as a more expensive version. Similar to buying a BMW X1 rather than an X6. I would hope they’ll start including some of the $35Ks in the production mix this year so you can have your car.

I assumed I would have been able to purchase a Tesla model 3 for $35k by now. I put $1k in April 2016. Was I stupid then to think I’d be driving my $35k car now? Am I wrong to think it will be 2020 before I can get it? Is it a good business practice to take $1k pre-order deposits for something that can’t be delivered for 4 years? Do consumers care? Should I be worried that corners will be cut in production to make a profit on a $35k car? I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. I’m still dreamin of my $35k model 3 in my driveway.

You should have it by April.

You should have it by April.

Impossible. You would cannibalize Q2 sales.

Tesla did not decide to drop prices by 2000 on a whim on Jan 1st 2019. It was planned for 6 months to a year in advance.

Someone will ask Elon about it on the Q4 con call and he will say they are “working on reducing costs” and “later in year” without specifics.

He will then pivot to model y and semi trucks.

View attachment 368406 Yes they tried to push me into canceling. That didn’t feel good. Why would they think I want to cancel? I’m waiting patiently for almost 3 years for my order :)

I hate to say it but have to.

This is a specific attempt to offer a refund to people with a non-confirmed deposit.

This says "well, we offered it!" if there comes a time of eventual financial downfall. Since reservations would be wiped out in the case of a certain type of financial issue of a company, they must have showed at least some level of respect for the unsecured monies that are in the liabilities of the corporate financials. As seen with Europe, reservations only bought about a month of "line jumping" versus the recent opening up orders to anyone. If I were holding a reservation, I would take it back, then wait until the point that the $35k is actually offered, then get in line again. However, some with reservations have seen delays of months in getting it back. Policy is now something like 45-60 days from point of asking to getting the refund of the reservation.

The seats are not leather.
Ok, maybe the non not leather if they do those. Although I think the seats are pretty nice but I haven’t sat in them for long.
I really kind of just want to see where they go with options and packages, prices, performance etc.
My ‘12 p85 still makes me really happy but I’m now aware of how things change really fast, prices, performance, included options.
The tax credit makes it stupid to wait this year for a SR if you have enough tax liability to get a MR for the same price, too late now though.
Longer range is nice to have, especially after a 100k miles and you lose~5% or so

The question of whether or not the car is worth the wait should be answered in one short test drive, I have an April build car and like any new car if you look hard enough you can find minor imperfections, I have almost 16k miles on it already with no problems whatsoever, most people who have problems will post something but the vast majority that are enjoying their car will not, if the federal rebate is of concern as it is for most then the current mid range model is effectively about 40,000 with a larger battery and premium interior, I have doubts myself that the 35k version will come before the end of the year.

Reactions: StillDreamin
I think people who were holding out for the Standard Range Model 3 and didn't order a Mid Range Model 3 missed the boat when the full 7500 rebate expired.

$46000-7500 = $38500 for a car with all the premium interior features and a 264 mile EPA range. It's really an amazing value compared to other EVs in that price range.

It's been 3 years. If you were hoping for the 35000-7500 = $27500 dollar car, that ship has sailed. I think the reason a lot of people could make the "Tesla Stretch" is that they had 3 years to plan and save extra money torwards that goal. If you couldn't save enough money to afford the car in 3 years then it's probably too much of a stretch.

Maybe you missed it but for about 4 days in mid October, Tesla was selling the Model 3 Mid Range for $45,000 which after federal tax credit and California state rebate would have been net $35,000 to you. Pricing and tax credit has changed since then, but the fact remains you could have had a Model 3 for $35,000 a few months ago.

My feeling is, most of the people who were looking at the 35k tesla Model 3 were not looking at a "35k" model 3. They were looking at a "25k" model 3. I have no proof, but I feel that pretty much everyone who did not jump on the 46k - 7500 (and for OP - another 2500 from california rebate, and another 500-1k if OP puts charger in garage), means that OP could have had a "36 k" mid range tesla model 3 with premium interior, that they could add EAP to "later" or not at all.

But, those people had done the math with the car being 35k minus 7500-10k, so..25k. Given how pretty "basic" the model 3 is to begin with as far as interior and options go, the mid range with the premium pack built into the price and no EAP was the clear winner there.

The "35k" Ev is going to be so basic that other than the exterior looks, a bolt or leaf will likely be a better choice from an options luxury feel.

Nothing wrong with those, they are nice cars but I dont like how they look... but if I had to choose between a bolt / leaf with their options, a base model 3, or an ICE car in that price range, I dont think I would choose the model 3.

If the choice was actually "35k car" then 46k minus 10k with the premium pack was the obvious choice to make, unless one was either stubborn about "I put a reservation on a 35k car" or was expecting a 25k model 3 which they are not going to get. By the time the standard range model 3 comes out, its going to be 35k minus 1875, or 35k minus zero (my opinion), so the value was already missed.

The good thing for OP is, that OP can get their money back and in 1-2 years there will be many more choices in this 35-50k space for EVs.

Reactions: bonaire
They were looking at a "25k" model 3.

Funny, at the original unveiling, neither Tesla nor Elon ever suggested there would be a $25k after incentive Tesla. In fact, that suggests Tesla knew they wouldn’t be able to make the $35k base model until after the tax credit started to phase out. And remember this is Tesla that constanrly advertises post-incentive and post-gas savings prices.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Why build a base 35k model while your premium demand still exceeds your international demand? I wouldn’t. Seems like common business sense outside a slight bit of guilt and desire to put to rest the notion some have that the base model will never be offered. When they have meaningful production capacity to sell they base model, they will. And I don’t doubt they want to gain some time for more efficiencies to make a fair profit first. It all should come together this year while some tax credit still exists. This way Tesla guarantees good demand for at least all of 2019.

I think people who were holding out for the Standard Range Model 3 and didn't order a Mid Range Model 3 missed the boat when the full 7500 rebate expired.

$46000-7500 = $38500 for a car with all the premium interior features and a 264 mile EPA range. It's really an amazing value compared to other EVs in that price range.

Exactly this.

What likely happens from here is once Europe (and rest of world) backlog is largely filled they announce the short-range, but still require the PUP available Q3 this year...keeps them from having to make major MFG line changes...so now you've got a $40,000 short-range Model 3, but you only get $1875 as a tax credit... net cost $38,275.... Only $125 cheaper than if you've bought the mid-range 6+ months earlier (or $875 MORE than the mid-range if you were lucky enough to order it at 45k for those few days).

Then near end of the year the actual 35k one comes along, with tax credits expiring entirely, so most of its buyers will end up 35k net cost... saving only a few k over the MR with PUP and having both shorter range and no PUP features.

Funny, at the original unveiling, neither Tesla nor Elon ever suggested there would be a $25k after incentive Tesla. In fact, that suggests Tesla knew they wouldn’t be able to make the $35k base model until after the tax credit started to phase out. And remember this is Tesla that constanrly advertises post-incentive and post-gas savings prices.

I recently watched the model 3 unveiling and Elon does say $35000 before tax rebates/incentives

however a $35000 car 3 years ago would be ~$39000 today

Tesla waiting to sell the cheapest model 3 once hitting 200,000 cars seems likely but I'm sure it is happening a year or so later than they expected

I recently watched the model 3 unveiling and Elon does say $35000 before tax rebates/incentives

Correct. But notice they didn’t mention the number $7500 (or net $27500 price after tax credit) as if to avoid the current scenario where it’s already phasing out. Compare that to when they announced Model S as “starting at $49900 after $7500 federal tax credit”.

Last edited:
Reactions: gambit48

I still expect a $35,000 Model 3 in 2019 for a California dreamer, possibly before May, definitely before October.

I stayed up well into the night after midnight Eastern time to watch the reveal in 2016 but I didn't reserve. I fully expected to wait until the non premium interior reveal to make a decision on if I'd get a $35K version or not. A big factor is there is no service center or store in my home City (metro area just under 1 million people with both I-40 and I-75 passing through town, but it's a 3+ hour drive one way to a Tesla service center).

Maybe I don't get a $35K version, Maybe I end up buying a used Mid range instead (still under $35K by waiting for a used one) or maybe I splurge and get short range + AWD (If Elon ever allows such a combination). But whatever my choice will be I knew I'd be waiting for the reservation queue to empty before I pulled the trigger and chose between the dozens of configs available below $40K both new and used.

My $1000 is still worth $1000. Definitely not more. Maybe $0 if all goes wrong. Investing in Tesla stock would have been a better move. And correct me if I'm wrong, but people are buying the car now who made no $1000 "vote of confidence" in 2016. When the numbers came out with how many people had thrown in their $1000, it was pretty clear that the full credit would not be likely. But hey, I'm still dreamin maybe there will be some credit for those who did believe in a $35k model 3 with some tax credit, because that was the dream I was sold on. I don't care about any features or range. I was sold on the idea of quality made EV for an affordable price. What I can afford I don't think is for anyone here to judge.

What was crazy for me was the deposit didn’t even go toward the car I bought. The sales guy says it happens all the time and so I had to request a refund for the reserve to get that back. My account shows two orders one with a vin.

Are you saying you had a reservation, and then bought another car (from the lot? or a confirmed order?)
and that the reservations don't automatically go to the car you bought but rather just stay out there as extra money and you have to somewhat fight for it?