Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was just told that AP 2.0 won't get FSD.

If your HW2.0 & already paid for FSD won't be supported, which solution do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on Depak Ahuja's comments on a call a couple of years ago my understanding is that the money is set aside in a different account and isn't being used for operations (or any other category). It's just sitting in an account somewhere.

giphy.gif

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
IMHO, I say folks need to stay patient. From what elon has said, a large number of folks who purchased FSD, it certainly sounds like they will upgrade your hardware. We all know communication sucks with Tesla. Hold off a bit more and see what the company ends up doing.

I really think FSD purchases will get the upgrade. If not, there will be a huge backlash. I bet even some will join a class action. I really doubt Tesla will go through all that.

Reactions: scottf200
@TeeEmCee

OK so what do you think "gaap deferred revenue" means in the annual shareholder letter, quarterly results letter, and form 8k? If the CFO says they set that money aside to offset the liability why do you not believe those statements and the documents they've filed with the SEC? Why don't you go listen to the quarterly and annual conference calls until you hear Depak say it and then tell me why you don't believe him.

"We have yet to recognize a significant amount of deferred revenue from future functionalities related to Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability options."

Deferred revenue $841,494,000 (from Q4 2018 letter)

Last edited:
UPDATE #2: I picked up my car on Monday. Love the X but it was an ordeal! I had an appointment on Saturday and I spent 5 hours at the service center. They took my trade and I transferred my money and I was in the car ready to go. Hours went by and ended up needing to pick up the car on Monday. Here is the story, The used car manager was able to add FSD to my contract for 5K. The service department was unable to add FSD to the car for reasons previously posted. After about 3.5 hours, they told me that they were sorry and therefore they could comp the FSD because the contract was screwed up. They had already had me sign over my trade so I couldn't have my car back and transfer them the money. They said that unfortunately they wouldn't let me take the car because the vehicle did not match the contract with FSD so they had to put me in a loaner. They let me know that I had to wait until Monday so they could remove FSD from the contract but wrote me a letter and sent me an email stating that they would add it after delivery. I picked up the X on Monday and noticed right away that it did not have Nav on AP or any 2.0 features. I called tech support and this was quickly fixed. I was told my car had AP 1 software and maps loaded on it, but they confirmed that it was AP 2.0 hardware. A software update overnight fixed this. I love this car and it now has all the 2.0 features. I sent them the email from the service center and waited a few days for a response. I called back and I was told that I was in que to have FSD added. The service center manager has been great keeping me updated saying that it is in process. I hope it all works out and I get FSD. Sorry for the long post but wanted to keep everyone who is interested updated.

Thanks for the progress report.

What's happening with Tesla? Doesn't it want people to pay for FSD? Why does it make upgrading to FSD a tortuous process and only those who could endure it would eventually get it?
It's a company with huge growing pain. Lot of the employees are incompetent, and the engineering department doesn't do enough to streamline the processes.

@TeeEmCee

OK so what do you think "gaap deferred revenue" means in the annual shareholder letter, quarterly results letter, and form 8k? If the CFO says they set that money aside to offset the liability why do you not believe those statements and the documents they've filed with the SEC? Why don't you go listen to the quarterly and annual conference calls until you hear Depak say it and then tell me why you don't believe him.

"We have yet to recognize a significant amount of deferred revenue from future functionalities related to Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability options."

Deferred revenue $841,494,000 (from Q4 2018 letter)

An around-the-bush answer to that would be this:

I used to be a GM shareholder when they went bankrupt the last time. I used to joke about the fact that there was this very nice conference room door on the third floor, that was going to be mine once they parted the assets. But then there was this guy in Washington, who decided to wipe his bottom with over a hundred years of bankruptcy law, and everything went to unions and cronies and the likes of me were left holding $0 worth of bag. My point was, when SHTF, all bets are off.

You're talking about the perfect world where all laws are followed, Tesla does not go bankrupt and nobody takes off with the cash. In that world, the Social Security money's all there as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It's a company with huge growing pain. Lot of the employees are incompetent, and the engineering department doesn't do enough to streamline the processes.

I don't think it was incompetent employees.

It's used to be very easy.

We could go to the web and click upgrading to FSD in our own personal account page with no problem.

or

We could call and the operator who would do that for us so we didn't have to click on the mouse ourselves.

The technology was there.

Something has just changed in the past few weeks.

Someone has thrown in a monkey wrench to make it almost impossible for its employees to do their job!

Last edited:
OP's experience should be considered nothing per Tesla's standard, because "It's super easy to swap the HW2 and HW3 computers." /s

Isn't it also super easy to swap HW2 and HW2.5 computers?

What's happening with Tesla? Doesn't it want people to pay for FSD? Why does it make upgrading to FSD a tortuous process and only those who could endure it would eventually get it?

• Funny
Reactions: Tam
@Hkwinger, which one of these two do you think is what happened:

Option 1: They don't want to sell FSD unless the original buyer wants to buy it. Therefore it was difficult to add FSD to a CPO.

Option 2: The CPO had Basic-AP but not EAP. The salesperson was talking about these 4 features that are now part of the new FSD package but used to be part of Enhanced-Autopilot:
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
Some salespeople might say, "your car has FSD features" when talking about a CPO with EAP. When they said they couldn't add FSD, maybe they meant they can't switch AP to EAP to include the 4 FSD features that come with EAP.

When you look at the options you purchased, which one do you see:
A) You see both "Autopilot" and "Full Self-Driving"
B) You see "Enhanced Autopilot" but no "Full Self-Driving"

Last edited:
IMHO, I say folks need to stay patient. From what elon has said, a large number of folks who purchased FSD, it certainly sounds like they will upgrade your hardware. We all know communication sucks with Tesla. Hold off a bit more and see what the company ends up doing.

I really think FSD purchases will get the upgrade. If not, there will be a huge backlash. I bet even some will join a class action. I really doubt Tesla will go through all that.
Spud’s always right. For me I can’t see buying FSD that’s been vapor ware for so long. Maybe sometime in the future, but for now not happening for me. Plus it’s 7 grand for me. Have a great evening all.

@Troy I am really not sure. At first I thought that engineering blocked any additional people getting FSD on 2.0 cars. I was told by delivery that FSD was available on 2.5 and above. I was really worried that a decision had quietly been made not to support 2.0 cars. The sales team that sold me the car was adamant that 2.0 cars were good for FSD.

The whole contract vs what’s on the car was a huge cluster. After I took delivery I was actually relieved to see that it didn’t have enhanced AP as was actually on the build sheet. I hope that was the reason an engineer in Fremont said FSD couldn’t be added to my car. I was pleasantly surprised to see this fixed within 24 hours.

Waiting over 2 days and not having FSD added yet has me alittle worried again.

I also own a model 3. That computer/MCU is so much faster. I’m thinking that FSD would not only require a AP upgrade, but also a MCU upgrade. I really hope that Tesla will perform the upgrades or at least simplify the software to work with my current hardware but it’s a coin flip for me if I believe that will actually happen. Now, all I want is to get what I was promised by the sales and delivery folks and to have FSD added at least to the build sheet. Even if it’s not figured out yet. After all, although it was a CPO, my X wasn’t cheap.

It doesn't matter if you ordered FSD or not. We were told our cars came with FSD hardware. Tesla obligated themselves to make it happen for everyone that bought an AP2.0 vehicle.

I am so shocked and disappointed. I am a Model 3 owner and loved it so much I decided to order another Tesla. I went with a CPO Model X. A requirement for my second car was that it be upgradable to FSD for long term upgradability so I specifically searched for an Enhanced Autopilot vehicle and worked with my sales person who told me 2.0 would be FSD eligible. I found a vehicle and ordered a Model X that had AP 2.0. Tomorrow is my delivery date and I asked for FSD to be put on the vehicle before delivery weeks ago. When the delivery person was reading through the notes he just told that 2.0 cars will not have FSD capabilities. He was shocked and asked his techs to call Engineering in Fremont. He was told that there was a change and Tesla will only support FSD in 2.5 vehicles. I let them know that a lot of owners have paid for FAD on 2.0 cars but was told that the engineers in Fremont confirmed it. FSD will only be available on 2.5 cars and beyond. I have decided not to take delivery of my original vehicle, even though I have already transferred payment to Tesla. It has been 4 weeks, I have secured my loan, paid a huge down payment and I was counting on my vehicle to be delivered tomorrow. What a shock! I think a lot of 2.0 owners are going to be very upset moving forward. Has anyone heard about this. I wonder if it is new, with all of the language changes they have been making with Auto Pilot. What a huge disappointment!

You will get a free upgrade to hw3 if your car has fsd enabled.
Tesla owners who ordered Full Self-Driving will get free HW3 upgrade, says Elon Musk

Because somebody screen capped what somebody else said on Facebook recounting a conversation between yet another party and a 4th party.

I dunno. I mean, seems legit.

Its the same person who started this thread. He's posting the same misleading information in multiple places. Not only is he trying to get a discount on a 2.0 vehicle, He's also trying to get them to honor the upgrade without being the original purchaser well knowing that the current hardware installed is not capable of Full Self Driving. Sounds like someone trying to be a baller on a budget... JM2C

I really wish we could get an official word for SOMEONE at Tesla that specifcally says HW2.0 will be upgraded to HW3. Everything I've seen over the past year or so has said HW2, which could easily be mistaken as HW2.5. I just purchased a HW2.0 MS P100D with FSD. I can live without Sentry but missing out on things like Enhanced Autopilot definitely hurts, especially since I paid $100,000 for a FSD CPO car with hopes to have those types of features.