Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the Model 3 Trunk Opening Changed at All?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My bet is that the split is the same as it was in the top pictures.
I think there is still a seam going along the top of the outer portion of the tail light, but it is very hard to see in these pictures either from the lighting or the angle they are taken from.
Why would they have a gap running down the center of the tail light if both halves moved together on the trunk lid?
I think they just lined up the upper trunk lid seam with the seam on the rear side reflector / charging port door on the other side.
(I could be wrong... We'll see when somebody gets a shot with trunk open on the new cars)
I had the same thought. I think the second split is just to mirror the charge port door as you noted. If you look at the protoypes, the charge port door had the same seam:
2017-Tesla-Model-3-rear-three-quarter.jpg

I think this IS one of the original prototypes with AP2 cameras added. There is nothing else different from this car and the first prototypes we saw a year ago.

I think he's fooling us. We get down about this being final and then they roll out the real finished product.

Hey, if the relatively small trunk opening of the Model 3 doesn't let you fit in bigger items, you guys can pick up a used "beater" Bolt next year to handle such utility runs to fit in bulky items. Since most 3 reservation holders won't get their 3 until probably 2nd half of next year at the earliest anyways, there should be some used '17 Bolts available by then. 56.6 cubic feet of space with the rear seats down. ;)

Hey, if the relatively small trunk opening of the Model 3 doesn't let you fit in bigger items, you guys can pick up a used "beater" Bolt next year to handle such utility runs to fit in bulky items. Since most 3 reservation holders won't get their 3 until probably 2nd half of next year at the earliest anyways, there should be some used '17 Bolts available by then. 56.6 cubic feet of space with the rear seats down. ;)
Actually, (besides being an EV), the usable space in the back of this vehicle is the only thing I like about it. It's tall, but not very horizontally deep.

If the new seam in the taillight is for a new opening, this is how it would look
5v7ya03.jpg
No way it will be like that. That is an engineering and manufacturing nightmare. Plus, it doesn't address the primary concern of the opening, which was the height, not the width.

The new seam on the passenger side is just a design element to mimic the charge port opening on the driverside. Or there could possibly be charge ports on either side, but I am almost certain it has nothing to do with the trunk opening.

No way it will be like that. That is an engineering and manufacturing nightmare. Plus, it doesn't address the primary concern of the opening, which was the height, not the width.

The new seam on the passenger side is just a design element to mimic the charge port opening on the driverside. Or there could possibly be charge ports on either side, but I am almost certain it has nothing to do with the trunk opening.
Yes.. Nice render though. It shows just how ridiculous that idea would have been.

Good point about the charge port. It certainly seems possible what we think is a part of the trunk opening, is actually just a charge port opening.

However, it still seems possible extending towards the sides and making the interior parts of the trunk corners a little smaller perhaps downwards as well could be in the books. Here is a less extreme mock-up of @McHoffa 's inspired thinking...

Not pictured here, but they might also shorten the big rear window a bit to add a little height as well?

model3_trunk.jpg

I wonder if they just found a way to narrow the inner lower sill to make the opening slightly bigger without changing the exterior at all. It wouldn't make a huge difference but would technically make Elon's statement that the small opening was "fixed". One thing I just realized is that the trunk interior will be larger than most sedans just from the fact that the trunk hinge/arm doesn't retract into the trunk when it's closed.

Last edited:
They definitely DID change the rear of the car presumably to accommodate more trunk space. It went from "damn that looks hot" to "can I trade this mini X in for my mini S". The proportions are all off now and the car is left looking bloated and very unsporty.

See the direct side shot of the rear end from here:
TESLARATI.com

...and compare it to the one from here:
Tesla Model 3: Will it Be a Good Family Car? - Motor Trend

Edit: maybe definitely did is a little too strong. I'm hoping beyond hope that this is some trick of camera distortion that is there in every new spy shot of the car. It's not looking good for this hope though given what I'm seeing.

Last edited: