Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was your Model 3 reservation symbolic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not symbolic here. Of course I don't know with certainty that I'll buy the car yet (wait for reveal #2 'super next-level' for that), but I'd say I'm 90% sure I will. We skipped the X in favor of the XC90 T8, and when the 3 ships we'll be about ready to replace our 2013 Prius V. The 3 looks pretty close to perfect for that use case.

I think some are interpreting symbolic to mean "not going to buy" but I was also wondering if people were trying to "make a statement" or "send a message" by making a reservation. Maybe I should've used a different word? o_O

I don't know about make a statement, but I did want to show support now. In other words, even were the impact on delivery timing negligible, I'd likely have reserved yesterday anyway.

I think my deposit was somewhat symbolic, and I wanted to be a part of something awesome. I'm not in the financial position to purchase a $35K car(or $27.5k for that matter). A $17k civic is more in line with what a person with my income should be spending on a car. But I put down the deposit with the hope that my finances improve and that it will encourage me to save money.

This isn't to say that I plan on cancelling, but its a real possibility. Whatever the case, the Model 3 will be my next car, its just a matter of how long I have to wait.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Heck no, mine was not symbolic, but that doesn't mean I won't pick up a CPO Model S and walk away from the Model 3 reservation. It just depends on how the future shapes up.

I'll be driving a Tesla one way or another. I've been following the company since 2006.

i'm in for two; wife for one. all three cars are already spoken for by family and friends. so if anything we may get one more. many of our friends and family want a tesla without the high admission price. some may buy used but i think autopilot and its related safety features will make buying a new 3 a better deal than a used s.

Two friends and I all made reservations for the Model 3 yesterday. However, I don't think any of us will actually be getting a Model 3. We wanted to show our support for Tesla and be part of history.

We don't want to wait any longer before upgrading to electric. While we most likely won't be buying a Model 3, we will each be getting a Model S or Model X.

Did anyone else make a Model 3 reservation knowing they most likely will transfer their deposit to the S or X? Did you make a reservation because you wanted to show ICE manufacturers that we really do want long range electric cars? Did you buy because you care about the future and the environment? Was your reservation symbolic to you in some other way? Details, please! :)

Noooooo ! None of us as daft as you ! And plus, unlike you....we have better things to do with our time ! Clearly, you don't have a job.....

Will buy the SUV version too ! Actually, that was what I preferred ! But this first 3 rocks and looks a bit like a muscle car....no other EV guy will make a muscle looking EV with Tesla type performance at this price point....with a Super Supercharger network to go along with it.....let one the autonomous driving capabilities

I have no need for another car after taking delivery of my X two weeks ago (we are a 1-car family). But I put in my reservation, and I look forward to the early delivery (existing owner + California). I'll figure out what to do with the car when it's time to configure—maybe buy it for my mother or inlaws, or sell it (at cost) to a friend who wasn't already in line. In other words, while I don't need it, I want to facilitate getting it to someone who does.

Still, I won't lie—I did try to rationalize keeping it for myself.

I reserved one as well yesterday. Most likely though will b getting an Model S or X later this year. I don't think I'll be transferring over the M3 deposit though just in case I end up wanting to get the M3 as well. Never know what the future holds. Have friends or family who may want the car instead.

MorrisonHiker,
I think I know what you were trying to say-and I was right there with you! I don't need another car, but don't mind making a 'symbolic' reservation. It might be passed on down to a latter SUV version or used if a family member needs. Will see! Don't let the forum rain on your feel good! I won't let them rain on mine!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker