Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was your Model 3 reservation symbolic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
Two friends and I all made reservations for the Model 3 yesterday. However, I don't think any of us will actually be getting a Model 3. We wanted to show our support for Tesla and be part of history.

We don't want to wait any longer before upgrading to electric. While we most likely won't be buying a Model 3, we will each be getting a Model S or Model X.

Did anyone else make a Model 3 reservation knowing they most likely will transfer their deposit to the S or X? Did you make a reservation because you wanted to show ICE manufacturers that we really do want long range electric cars? Did you buy because you care about the future and the environment? Was your reservation symbolic to you in some other way? Details, please! :)

Last edited:
Two friends and I all made reservations for the Model 3 yesterday. However, I don't think any of us will actually be getting a Model 3. We wanted to show our support for Tesla and be part of history.

We don't want to wait any longer before upgrading to electric. While we most likely won't be buying a Model 3, we will each be getting a Model S or Model X.

Did anyone else make a Model 3 reservation knowing they most likely will transfer their deposit to the S or X?

This has to be the silliest thing I have heard all week. And I use silliest to be polite.

Reactions: forumman83
I made two. I am not sure whether I will want a smaller car in a few years. Love the S, but it is still very large and my family is moving on and out over the next 3 years. Thus, at least one 3 will be for the youngest daughter who is all in Tesla when she can drive herself to college in 18/19. The other may be for me or hubby. The only symbolism for me, and it was huge, is that this is the only time I have ever felt the need or wanted to line up for anything. It was truly enjoyable seeing all of those fans in line and being able to talk Tesla with and at them without anyone rolling their eyes at my "Kool-Aid Speak." I will cherish that memory forever. And my d was able to be there with me. Fun, fun day all through to the reveal.

The only symbolism for me, and it was huge, is that this is the only time I have ever felt the need or wanted to line up for anything. It was truly enjoyable seeing all of those fans in line and being able to talk Tesla with and at them without anyone rolling their eyes at my "Kool-Aid Speak." I will cherish that memory forever. And my d was able to be there with me. Fun, fun day all through to the reveal.
Congratulations on your reservations! That's what I was hoping to hear. I was quite moved yesterday watching the line counts grow and grow throughout the day. I think the Colorado Tesla store had one of the biggest turnouts of all. It was great to read story after story of people lining up to make a deposit on a car that they knew very few details on. I saw more than one news anchor say it was silly to make a reservation sight-unseen but then those in line or even their fellow reporters quickly reminded them that the deposit is entirely refundable and there was no risk. Many people were standing in line based on their trust of Tesla and their believe that Tesla can change the world.

I placed my reservation because I want a Tesla and wanted to be part of that historic day. The thing is, I'm not going to be patient enough to wait for the 3. There will be a Tesla (or maybe even three Teslas) in my garage later this year. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: EV-Bull and ModelX
I don't know that it is symbolic, but I will be getting an S at the end of this year and hadn't yet decided if I will just transfer my deposit over or leave it. I actually do want the S and the 3, but getting the S may put off the need for the 3 a little longer than the reservation would be necessary for. So, not sure.

I reserved 2 because I want to buy two. Able to hold 5 adults is huge as I have 3 small kids and with the frunk/trunk see the 3 as a realistic car for my wife and I to have.

Now I just need the CPO inventory to come back so I can get a 'cheap' model S to hold me over until my 3's are ready.

Did anyone else make a Model 3 reservation knowing they most likely will transfer their deposit to the S or X? Did you make a reservation because you wanted to show ICE manufacturers that we really do want long range electric cars? Did you buy because you care about the future and the environment? Was your reservation symbolic to you in some other way? Details, please! :)

Wow! I had not thought of that. I appreciate you supporting Tesla and the cause in that way. And you might well want to get one when the time comes.
I ordered three: my wife and I have an S and want the 3 for our second car, and we paid for the deposits on two others, one for each of our grown children (in their names).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Have to admit that I'm a believer in whole Tesla Master Plan thing. So, yes, sight-unseen I waiting in the cold/snow of Denver for 3 hours outside and an hour inside (showroom is at a Mall). Was very please with the reveal but can't wait for more details in the coming weeks/months.

Was fun being part of such a large group, enjoyed seeing the smiles on the Tesla employee's faces :)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I reserved 2 and will certainly get at least one of them, though both my wife and I may do it. We planned this out pretty carefully. I had a nice BMW that was getting to it's end of life, so we decided to get rid of it and replace with a 3 year lease on a Leaf, to get into the EV world. The lease will end on that around the time the Model 3 is ready, at which point we will be able to get the Model 3 as the replacement. SInce our one ICE is long paid off, we will likely keep it as a backup and use the Model 3 as our daily drivers.

I will definitely take 1 of the 2 I reserved. Second will probably convert to a Y, or let go. I wanted to flexibility of locking in a position in the queue, just in case.

That's similar to what I'm thinking as well. I'll either get an X now (or move the X reservation to an S) and then save the 3 reservation for a Y in a few years.

I already own a new 70D, but my deposit was not symbolic. I also own a 2012 LEAF, which just got a new battery under warranty, and the Model 3 will replace that. I already have at least one friend that is interested in my Leaf when her Smart Car lease expires next year, so that made it easier to justify/convince myself that I should get a base Model 3. Many of my friends can't afford a Model 3, or a new Leaf/Bolt, and don't qualify for the $7500 tax credit, so this is sort of my way to pass it on.