Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Waiting in Spokane... anyone have insight on what to expect delivery-wise here on the sunny side? Will I have a technician present who I can note any defects with? Will it be dropped off a truck into my driveway? Any tips?

Ordered 8/17 - white on white MY, induction, no FSD, long range. No trade-in and completed questionnaires fairly quickly.
Text on 9/9 - 2-3 weeks. No VIN yet.

I assume you opted for "carrier direct delivery" ? If that's the case, this is a 3rd party transport company. They may be familiar with Tesla's, but they are NOT employed by Tesla and NOT paid by Tesla to show you anything or talk to you about anything. Think of it as a FedEx guy but dropping off your car instead of a package. They'll unload the car, probably give you a minute or two to inspect it for major damage (broken glass, large dents, etc) and then have you sign paperwork. Mine was dropped off at 10pm and it was dark, so my inspection was literally making sure the car ran (it drove off the truck and into my drive way) and that glass was intact and not large dents. You then could inspect the car closer and get on the phone with your sales advisor immediately to document the mileage (likely only a mile or two more than when they loaded the car) and photograph any issue spots and see if the Tesla service center will address/correct them. It's likely unless the issue is large they probably won't be too open to fixing stuff unless you push hard.

When did you order? When did you get notice of a VIN? I've now seen two Washington state Model Y deliveries today... it seems like Tesla might finally be shuffling cars up here but tracking down the order dates now will be key to figure out how far behind they're filling orders...

Also in Spokane. Options are to go to Bellevue to inspect before buying or have carrier delivered to Spokane (must pay for car sight unseen before they will load on a truck).

i was going to go to Bellevue back when delivery might have been August (ordered July), but now with work and the 3 day window they give to pick up I doubt I can make it so have opted for carrier direct with fingers crossed!

Thanks! I assume (eek) that we can still reject the car if necessary, or note problems to be fixed even with payment being processed. Do you think so? From what I’ve seen, if there are defects you make a note of them and a later appointment date at the Service Center. But, I have not seen any info on how that works with carrier delivery. Maybe our cars will be road trip buddies on the truck together!

I assume you opted for "carrier direct delivery" ? If that's the case, this is a 3rd party transport company. They may be familiar with Tesla's, but they are NOT employed by Tesla and NOT paid by Tesla to show you anything or talk to you about anything. Think of it as a FedEx guy but dropping off your car instead of a package. They'll unload the car, probably give you a minute or two to inspect it for major damage (broken glass, large dents, etc) and then have you sign paperwork. Mine was dropped off at 10pm and it was dark, so my inspection was literally making sure the car ran (it drove off the truck and into my drive way) and that glass was intact and not large dents. You then could inspect the car closer and get on the phone with your sales advisor immediately to document the mileage (likely only a mile or two more than when they loaded the car) and photograph any issue spots and see if the Tesla service center will address/correct them. It's likely unless the issue is large they probably won't be too open to fixing stuff unless you push hard.

When did you order? When did you get notice of a VIN? I've now seen two Washington state Model Y deliveries today... it seems like Tesla might finally be shuffling cars up here but tracking down the order dates now will be key to figure out how far behind they're filling orders...

Thanks that is very helpful! There was not the specific third party carrier option but I do have a delivery destination fee in my order.

i ordered August 17. No VIN yet. Received a 2-3 week timeline via auto text on 9/9.

From what I’ve seen of my YouTube rabbit hole viewing sessions, Tesla has been very open to fixing all of the issues that have popped up (tailgate, panel gaps, seat alignment, paint defects, etc.). Good idea to get on the phone with someone right away. I will probably refuse to fully sign delivery paperwork and instead note that full inspection is not possible.

thanks again!

Thanks that is very helpful! There was not the specific third party carrier option but I do have a delivery destination fee in my order.

i ordered August 17. No VIN yet. Received a 2-3 week timeline via auto text on 9/9.

From what I’ve seen of my YouTube rabbit hole viewing sessions, Tesla has been very open to fixing all of the issues that have popped up (tailgate, panel gaps, seat alignment, paint defects, etc.). Good idea to get on the phone with someone right away. I will probably refuse to fully sign delivery paperwork and instead note that full inspection is not possible.

thanks again!

Everyone pays the destination fee, even if you pick up at a store. The only way around that is buying a used car. I would strongly caution not signing since this is a 3rd party carrier and not Tesla. While this is a free service to you, Tesla IS paying someone to deliver the car to you. When I had mine delivered in the Tri CIties the driver had three cars on his truck and was a Spokane based driver. He had mine for RIchland, another Tesla for Kennewick, and some crappy early 2000s Chevy Van that was going back up to Spokane. If you refuse delivery I assume it just gets kept with the driver where ever he ends up going and you might be responsible for getting the vehicle back to Tesla to return it within the seven day period. When you sign with the carrier direct driver, you're not signing to take delivery from Tesla, that has essentially already happened when you paid in full and they loaded the car onto the carrier. When you sign with the carrier you're releasing them of liability and saying they actually got the car to you. As long as it didn't fall off their truck, or they damage it when loading it on (again, probably something large like broken glass or large dents) then they have done their job and expect you to sign.

The contacting Tesla immediately and documenting any issues you want fixed is so Tesla can't come back and say that the scratches or misalignment might have been caused from you driving around for a few days or something.

Carrier Direct is kinda a crap shoot in that you "accept" the car when Tesla loads it on the truck. You still have seven days to return the car, but per their agreement you can't order the same configuration for a period of one year if you do return a car to them. Now if there are large issues maybe you can work with Tesla to allow another order, but YOU still need to get it back to them within 7 days and 1,000 miles, which means driving it to Seattle area to hand it over to them or paying for it to be shipped back.

I still think it's a FANTASTIC service that they offer, you just need to be willing to deal with a couple things possibly or extra hassle in getting them fixed. They adjusted their mileage requirements now so the Tri Cities is no longer far enough for the carrier direct. I've worked something out where someone is going to be able to pick up my vehicle for me (no I won't explain, I think this is unofficial and them going way above and beyond to help me out, both on Tesla and the person's part) and I'm paying ~$900 to have it transported from that side over to me in the Tri Cities... last year with my Model 3 it was free since Tesla took care of it.

If gaps or alignment really bug you, go pick the car up in person, it's probably ~$250 for a flight, even if booked the night before (Thanks COVID!) and then drive it home. You have a 3 day window now they can delay delivery, hopefully that works with your work schedule, or duck out of work an hour or two early and catch a flight, pick up the car "late" with Tesla at like 7 or 8 pm and then get home by midnight or something. Or just accept that the gaps are a little mismatched or roll the dice that Tesla will approve the Spokane service center to make adjustments the best they can.

(While there are many stories of Tesla allowing adjustments and corrections, there are just as many stories with Tesla saying that some misalignment is "within spec", so calibrate your expectations)

Ordered 8/19
Tigard
White AWD
Black interior
No FSD
Sent a text this morning to one Tesla guy in Tigard asking for an update. Don't know if he received it or not but soon after I got a call from my apparent actual Tesla guy in Portland telling me that they have a car for me coming and I can pick it up this Saturday! So hype!!

Ordered 8/19
Tigard
White AWD
Black interior
No FSD
Sent a text this morning to one Tesla guy in Tigard asking for an update. Don't know if he received it or not but soon after I got a call from my apparent actual Tesla guy in Portland telling me that they have a car for me coming and I can pick it up this Saturday! So hype!!
Jealous! I ordered the same except MSM on 8/1 and nothing so far.

Ordered 8/19
Tigard
White AWD
Black interior
No FSD
Jealous! I ordered 8/13 same config from Tigard and nothing yet.

Ordered Aug 26th
Blue, LR, No FSD, 19 in, Black interior, Tow Hitch

Text Sept 2 saying 2-4 weeks.

No VIN or delivery date yet.

@kickenandbrian - I live about 3 miles from the Bellevue storage lot so could probably go take a look in there to try to find it and get you pictures.
That would be awesome. Still not sure when it will get to Bellevue but I’ll let you know.. thanks

I just got my VIN today! Ordered the RWD on 11/28/2019, converted it to AWD on 7/11/2020. On Sept 4th I called and found that the upgrade hadn't gone through, so I've really only been eligible for a match for a couple weeks. VIN is in the 51XXX range.

The MVPA says that the odometer is at 15, is that normal? I'm not sure if that means it's already been built or if that's just a placeholder.

Reactions: knikak
I just got my VIN today! Ordered the RWD on 11/28/2019, converted it to AWD on 7/11/2020. On Sept 4th I called and found that the upgrade hadn't gone through, so I've really only been eligible for a match for a couple weeks. VIN is in the 51XXX range.

The MVPA says that the odometer is at 15, is that normal? I'm not sure if that means it's already been built or if that's just a placeholder.
Placeholder.

congrats!!

Reached out to Lynwood SA again, because I am obnoxious (I have a literal mountain of accessories in my garage). SA said my car should be here the last week of Sept (looking at 26, 27 or 28th most likely) with a birthday some time in the next few days. Said there will be a LOT of cars coming in during that last week.

Additional tidbit: He said if you get a text for delivery, and none of the times work for you, accept one of them anyway then just call and have your SA make any changes as needed. If you don't accept then you are just automatically assigned a spot.

Ordered 8/15
MSM/20”/white interior/tow/no FSD

Finally! A text!

“Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 7 - 13 days from today. Once your Model Y starts moving to your delivery center, we will reach out to schedule your delivery appointment.

Please note that this timeframe is an estimate and may shift in either direction.

This is an automated message. Please reply to this text with any questions and a Tesla Advisor will reach out.”

Reactions: Janene and knikak
Finally! A text!

“Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 7 - 13 days from today. Once your Model Y starts moving to your delivery center, we will reach out to schedule your delivery appointment.

Please note that this timeframe is an estimate and may shift in either direction.

This is an automated message. Please reply to this text with any questions and a Tesla Advisor will reach out.”

Almost the same message for me, except 8 to 13 days (Blue/White LR Model Y Gemini). I'm in Eastern WA but the Tesla is coming to the Portland store.... I'm actually kinda hoping it's closer to the 13 days as I'm still trying to nail down financing...

Finally! A text!

Just got the same text. Spokane here.