Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a note, Lynnwood pickup would have a 10.8% vehicle tax vs. a 10.4% if you had it delivered at home.
@PNWLeccy Not true/accurate. I confirmed with with Tesla and got a written response, counter what you say.

"Hello, yes the request is in. Also clarification on other points to follow;
  1. Home Delivery doesn’t result in a lower tax rate. Where the vehicle delivery originates determines the tax rate that will be calculated, so if it's out of Renton then you will pay Renton sales tax.
  2. There’s no "choice" to have home delivery (Tesla Direct). You have to qualify for it.
Thanks!"

Last edited:
Reactions: TSTSTS
Thanks for letting me know. I did not know that. How about RTA, is it dependent on where you live? When I bought a Subaru last June I did not get charged RTA fee. Now with Tesla there’s a $540 RTA fee.
I think RTA only applies to "Incorporated" King County. For reference, I live in "Unincorporated" Renton/King County. Just received my PLAID registration yesterday. A very reasonable rate, as you can see. Sales tax is also lower, at 8.6%, for any services done at this address (like a new roof/gutters, etc.).

registration MYP.jpg

@PNWLeccy Not true/accurate. I confirmed with with Tesla and got a written response, counter what you say.

"Hello John, yes the request is in. Also clarification on other points to follow;
  1. Home Delivery doesn’t result in a lower tax rate. Where the vehicle delivery originates determines the tax rate that will be calculated, so if it's out of Renton then you will pay Renton sales tax.
  2. There’s no "choice" to have home delivery (Tesla Direct). You have to qualify for it.
Thanks!"
My SA told me explicitly that both Bellevue and Seattle SC's are not doing ANY local pickups and only home deliveries. Vehicle tax rate would be based on delivery address and this is how it has always worked in past.

He said that only Lynnwood and Renton allow local pickups now and perhaps they function a bit differently but I wouldn't expect it to.
Thanks for letting me know. I did not know that. How about RTA, is it dependent on where you live? When I bought a Subaru last June I did not get charged RTA fee. Now with Tesla there’s a $540 RTA fee.
If you are not in an RTA region you should definitely reach out to have it removed. They've messed up my RTA calculation previously (which is a more complicated issue) but if you aren't supposed to be charged, that should be an easier request to remedy.

My SA told me explicitly that both Bellevue and Seattle SC's are not doing ANY local pickups and only home deliveries. Vehicle tax rate would be based on delivery address and this is how it has always worked in past.

He said that only Lynnwood and Renton allow local pickups now and perhaps they function a bit differently but I wouldn't expect it to.

If you are not in an RTA region you should definitely reach out to have it removed. They've messed up my RTA calculation previously (which is a more complicated issue) but if you aren't supposed to be charged, that should be an easier request to remedy.
@PNWLeccy I'll be picking my MYP up in Renton, sans RTA (as was the case with my M3 and Plaid).

Last edited:
I think RTA only applies to "Incorporated" King County. For reference, I live in "Unincorporated" Renton/King County. Just received my PLAID registration yesterday. A very reasonable rate, as you can see. Sales tax is also lower, at 8.6%, for any services done at this address (like a new roof/gutters, etc.).

View attachment 709648
That is good news then. I asked the Lynnwood SC to look at possibly removing the RTA fee of $540 as I did not get charged last June when I bought my Subaru. they said they can look into it when I get a VIN

Reactions: jebinc
Just a note, Lynnwood pickup would have a 10.8% vehicle tax vs. a 10.4% if you had it delivered at home.
Just think what our government is doing with all that tax revenue... They can pay for someone who doesn't want to get a job so they can have internet and cell phone service to play Xbox games and hopefully apply for jobs in-between gaming breaks. All the taxes we pay in our state is crazy. I finally got a response back on removing the RTA county tax. That's an easy fix once I get my VIN :)

I ordered the 18' Wall Connector right before they started selling the 24'. I realized today that while it would probably work for my set up, I will be more comfortable with the additional length.

If anyone in the Greater Seattle Area is interested, I'd like to offer up the 18' for sale before sending it back to Tesla. DM me.

Remind me - have we discussed what folks plan to do for paint protection in the Seattle Area yet? I'm thinking of full front PPF and ceramic all around. But new to this type of care. So my knowledge is rather limited. What are your opinions?
@GoRun26. Same here as my Plaid. Flaps, three coats of ceramic coating, self applied, then a few days later a wash and maguires ceramic wax hybrid during the rinse cycle. Tint for the front glass and sun strip for the windshield as well.

Reactions: GoRun26