Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These "other manufacturers" are the same knuckleheads that have been screwing over customers with poor sales, service and quality issues for decades, so anticipating they are going to somehow magically transform both their business practices AND produce a competitive product at scale, and pack Tesla's lunch is a fairly myopic and unlikely outcome IMO.

Edit - that's not to say I believe "big auto" is dead, far from it, but their ability to outmaneuver Tesla in the full battery EV market, for the segments Tesla are going after, is going to be handicapped by a lot of factors including the "inventors dilemma" , wanting to protect billions in existing investment/infra, and more. If anything, Tesla is well positioned to start moving "down market" with lower priced models at some point.
They'll only start moving "down market" when there's a demand for it. They removed the lower and cheaper trims because they're making more on the higher trims. Similar to iPhones, why make a cheaper model, when your high end model is selling well? They'll only consider it when sales slow and/or real competition is on the market the affects the former. Cars like the KIA EV6 while are starting to give Tesla a run for their money just can't be produced at scale that's viable or threat to Tesla.

I don't think it is THAT unlikely. They can scale faster than Tesla can and have the infrastructure that Tesla had to build from scratch. 5-10 years from now I think the gap is a lot smaller, and when that happens customer facing issues like these become an issue for Tesla, especially when 1 million deliveries become 5 million and they have more models, complicating supply chain even further.
I'll just leave this here....

He's not the all seeing oracle, but he's got some fairly compelling reasons why the traditional automakers are in a larger bind than a lot of people (including themselves) realize.

I'll just leave this here....

He's not the all seeing oracle, but he's got some fairly compelling reasons why the traditional automakers are in a larger bind than a lot of people (including themselves) realize.
One of the automakers CEO, I think Ford or GM? Recently discuss how switching manufacturing process from ICE to EV is a bigger undertaking than people realize. These ICE automakers just can't switch to manufacture EVs overnight, it'll take awhile to even switch over the process much less a viable and competitive model/trim.

Reactions: Corndart
One of the automakers CEO, I think Ford or GM? Recently discuss how switching manufacturing process from ICE to EV is a bigger undertaking than people realize. These ICE automakers just can't switch to manufacture EVs overnight, it'll take awhile to even switch over the process much less a viable and competitive model/trim.
If that were their only constraint, I'd have more optimism they'll power through it. But Tesla made a lot of really smart investments in materials technology, mega casting, motor design and construction, battery assembly, overall simplification and no off the shelf parts bin BS the traditional automakers have to contend with. They've also secured production and materials for batteries, which is going to jam everyone late to party up big time. China has scooped up large swaths of raw materials, effectively controls production of batteries, and can certainly lock out or make it price non-competitive for the late comers to try and manage through. Absent break throughs in battery tech (which will continue to happen), it creates a big wall and barrier to entry all by itself.

If you've never read or heard of "The Innovators Dilemma", to me it encapsulates what's happening here quite nicely. And it's why a centuries old industry is highly prone to complete disruption that could certainly clear the decks of the "old guard", and pave the road for the new comers to eat them alive. Yes, this could be a hyperbolic, apocryphal, chicken little like cry on my part, but it's nearly certain many of them won't survive the changeover.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with that, it is a challenge to revamp to an all electric model from an ICE model but that is not as much of a challenge as building a whole new system from scratch. Ford now says it will be producing 150K Lightnings a year in less than 18 months. It took Tesla until Q4 of 2017 to hit that pace. Rumors of an all electric Explorer coming in the next 24 months. If it is based on the current Explorer model (best selling SUV in existence) then it will be a problem for Tesla Model Y sales, especially those who want a usable third row.

Well I ended up stopping at the Renton location today and got straightened out. Certainly Tesla's lack of communication sucks but I am also over reacting as well. I did speak to 2 people who were extremely helpful and although they can't work miracles they did give me a fast track class on what to expect going forward and what I can do to expedite the process when I get to the point that I need to get a car sooner. In the mean time, I know I am not getting a car in the next 2 weeks which gives me all the time I need to push through my refinance on my house so at least I am not sitting here stressing about that deadline and gives me something to do while I am waiting on Tesla. In the mean time I am going to stop stressing myself out (about this at least) for 2 weeks and work on other stuff. See you back here in a couple of weeks.

Well I ended up stopping at the Renton location today and got straightened out. Certainly Tesla's lack of communication sucks but I am also over reacting as well. I did speak to 2 people who were extremely helpful and although they can't work miracles they did give me a fast track class on what to expect going forward and what I can do to expedite the process when I get to the point that I need to get a car sooner. In the mean time, I know I am not getting a car in the next 2 weeks which gives me all the time I need to push through my refinance on my house so at least I am not sitting here stressing about that deadline and gives me something to do while I am waiting on Tesla. In the mean time I am going to stop stressing myself out (about this at least) for 2 weeks and work on other stuff. See you back here in a couple of weeks.
Did you at least cop a joyride in a Model S Plaid? Or have they run the hoonigans out of the place? ;-)

Did anyone else get a massive extension to their EDD? I ordered my MYLR on 8/25 and up until a few days ago my EDD was 1/4 - 2/1. Now it just says June. I tried contacting my sales rep, but he turned out to be of no help and just repeated what I saw and said that the date is subject to change (overstatement).

Did anyone else get a massive extension to their EDD? I ordered my MYLR on 8/25 and up until a few days ago my EDD was 1/4 - 2/1. Now it just says June. I tried contacting my sales rep, but he turned out to be of no help and just repeated what I saw and said that the date is subject to change (overstatement).
MYLR ordered 6/18 and my EDD window has narrowed and moved up from 1/8-2/5 to 1/7-1/20

Reactions: Here4Comments
MYLR ordered 6/18 and my EDD window has narrowed and moved up from 1/8-2/5 to 1/7-1/20

Same here. MYLR. Ordered 6/19 and my EDD narrowed and moved up 1/7 to 1/18. I don't trust the EDD anymore considering the number of times it has changed.

I did call up Tesla Bellevue around a week ago, asked about the numerous EDD changes and if at all there was an option to change my booking to MYP if I could get that faster. Got a very blunt reply that I can change the order, but it would be with a the revised pricing and I would enter the queue from the beginning all over again. Didn't make sense. Atleast the rep who answered the call took my name and number and mentioned if there is any MYP or MYLR which shows up in inventory, he would give me a call (not sure how scalable that is to have a manual list and call customers)

Your Sales rep will be no help unless you want to keep hearing your EDD repeated to you a few more times…but honestly… the MYLR buyers on here have been really getting the short stick on deliveries the past few months it seems. Here’s hoping this quarter they will focus on getting more of these MYLR out to buyers.

Same here. MYLR. Ordered 6/19 and my EDD narrowed and moved up 1/7 to 1/18. I don't trust the EDD anymore considering the number of times it has changed.

I did call up Tesla Bellevue around a week ago, asked about the numerous EDD changes and if at all there was an option to change my booking to MYP if I could get that faster. Got a very blunt reply that I can change the order, but it would be with a the revised pricing and I would enter the queue from the beginning all over again. Didn't make sense. Atleast the rep who answered the call took my name and number and mentioned if there is any MYP or MYLR which shows up in inventory, he would give me a call (not sure how scalable that is to have a manual list and call customers)
Strange thing is I was following this thread at the end of September delivery push and I was sooo close it seems to getting delivery because a lot of post I saw on here were order dates in mid to late June, (mix of MYP and MYLR) so I felt like I was VERY close… then comes end of quarter push for December and I felt I had to be close but nothing… it’s very frustrating

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
Update 1/5: just logged in and my EDD is 1/8 - 1/12. I’ve been assigned a VIN and allowed was able to view my MVPA and pay my balance. Hopefully this is a good sign that it will be here sometime next week. I’m not holding my breath though.

What is the story on this? I feel like I’ve seen a few references to Renton and joyrides. I mean, I can put two and two together but just curious if there are any other details.
Third party info and I am going off memory, so take it with a grain of salt. Guy takes his Model S plaid into Renton for normal service right after taking delivery. Gets the car back and the front bumper looks like someone crammed it into a curb at speed, it is cracked and torn up. He goes to pull the video from the cameras and the hard drive he left in the car had been reformatted. He had a third party app (I think) that logs trip data through the Tesla onboard computer. He pulls data from that and his car is doing 120+ on the freeway, being launched multiple times and driven all over the damn place on 2 separate trips. If I recall correctly he was in for an interior cosmetic issue, so they had no need to drive the car in the first place really. He raises hell, Tesla initially ignores him so he goes to Twitter and Facebook and a bunch of people come out of the wood work saying they had similar issues at the same location. Tesla regional guy gets involved, apparently they launch an internal investigation and a few days later Renton service is so understaffed they had to bump a bunch of appointments due to "staffing issues", pull at least 3 sales advisors into the service department to try to patch it together (they were covering there for 2 months) and the guy who originally posted all the info comes back with an update that says the individuals involved are no longer employed by Tesla and that Tesla is resolving the issue to his satisfaction.
Again, this is all third party and all off memory so some of this may not be 100% accurate.

Third party info and I am going off memory, so take it with a grain of salt. Guy takes his Model S plaid into Renton for normal service right after taking delivery. Gets the car back and the front bumper looks like someone crammed it into a curb at speed, it is cracked and torn up. He goes to pull the video from the cameras and the hard drive he left in the car had been reformatted. He had a third party app (I think) that logs trip data through the Tesla onboard computer. He pulls data from that and his car is doing 120+ on the freeway, being launched multiple times and driven all over the damn place on 2 separate trips. If I recall correctly he was in for an interior cosmetic issue, so they had no need to drive the car in the first place really. He raises hell, Tesla initially ignores him so he goes to Twitter and Facebook and a bunch of people come out of the wood work saying they had similar issues at the same location. Tesla regional guy gets involved, apparently they launch an internal investigation and a few days later Renton service is so understaffed they had to bump a bunch of appointments due to "staffing issues", pull at least 3 sales advisors into the service department to try to patch it together (they were covering there for 2 months) and the guy who originally posted all the info comes back with an update that says the individuals involved are no longer employed by Tesla and that Tesla is resolving the issue to his satisfaction.
Again, this is all third party and all off memory so some of this may not be 100% accurate.
This is pretty accurate from what I remember on the FB post about it. Many people chimed in about horrible experiences they had at the Renton SC as well, including me.

I had taken my car in for a rattle issue but didn't realize until a few days after picking the car up that it had been driven for ~140mi. When I picked up the car, the tech made some off-hand comments about how some rattles are tricky so the techs take them on their commute to help identify them. I didn't think much about it until I saw my invoice. I know some rattles are a pain to diagnose but 140 miles to identify a rattle is egregious