TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Vendor Watch Out Tesla, There's a Tough Road Ahead in 2018

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Vendor Content, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Vendor Content

EDITOR’S NOTE: This is a sponsored post from Autozin, an online marketplace for cars. As was evident on the December 2017 U.S. electric car sales reports, Tesla may face an intense rivalry this year. Despite the fact that Tesla has been a sensation in the automotive industry with its electric luxury sedan, failing to achieve...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. jgs

jgs Active Member

Until there's even one other AWD BEV on the market, there's no competition for my car dollar. Every now and then I think "am I willing to live without AWD"? Then I look out my window on a snowy day and watch the FWD cars struggling (and sometimes failing) to get up the hill and the Subarus confidently cruising along on the exact same road, and I answer myself "no".

• Like x 1
  3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Last time it snowed around here I took my RWD BMW with snow tires and left the AWD Tesla at home.

• Like x 2
  4. Ande

Ande Member

Are you joking ?
    Fisker ? - it's the greatest vaporware, borderline scam ever. They claim to have some new, unproven battery technology that nobody else has, and always lots of hype. The only thing they actually manage to achieve in the past years are those selv-burning cars that went up in smoke randomly, nothing but bragging and big words since then.
    you cannot compare any existing product to those claims/lies.

• Helpful x 1
  5. SO_S90D

SO_S90D Member

So would you say your BMW RWD vehicle performs at or better than your Tesla AWD for handling in snow(Assuming similar tires and not counting range in cold temps)?

6. jkn

jkn Member

Bolt does not have supercharger network. So it loses competition. Fisker cannot even produce significant number of cars.

Tires are more important than AWD. Note that while AWD accelerates faster than RWD, it does not stop any faster.

7. SO_S90D

SO_S90D Member

Oh yes. I know. I live in Michigan. But i still prefer AWD over FWD or RWD.

• Like x 1
  8. jgs

jgs Active Member

Oh sure, it's well known that if you have to choose snow tires or AWD, you're on-the-balance better off with the snow tires. But of course it's a false dichotomy, you can have both if you want (and I have in the past). I know my local conditions; for me, AWD with all-seasons is adequate, year-round. FWD (or RWD I imagine) isn't. That said, I'm seriously considering adding snow tires next winter, which if I do will unquestionably be the best setup.

Edit to add: you don't have summer tires on the AWD Tesla by any chance? Because AWD with summers is worse than anything other than 2WD with summers.

9. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

This is about 2 years premature...

• Like x 1
  10. Jason Bloomberg

Which of these "competitors" that Tesla needs to "watch out" for offer accessibility to a nationwide high speed charging network? Answer: NONE. A long range BEV without a rapid charging network to support it is like putting up solar PV in the shade.

11. LCR1

LCR1 Member

The vast majority of people don't need a national super charger network so it become irrelevant for over 80-95% of drivers. Over 90% of people drive less than 100miles a day.

• Like x 1
  12. jkn

jkn Member

People buy car, so that they can go where they want when they want. EV without supercharging does not give that freedom. It can only be 2. car. For that it must be cheap.

13. LCR1

LCR1 Member

No people buy a car because they need to get to work and their kids to school. Again, the vast majority of people will never need a supercharge network. Last I read something like 10% of miles driven in Tesla were Supercharge miles, so again, the vast majority of people have no need for a nation wide network.

14. jkn

jkn Member

They also want to visit relatives and make holiday trips. Leaf is good enough for daily usage for most people. It has been years on market. Roughly as many Leafs have been sold as Teslas. Much cheaper car should have sold many times more.

15. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

95% of my car use is <100 miles per day.

Occasionally though I need to visit family or airport etc.

300 miles range and superchargers means I can do this without fuss or range anxiety or excessive planning for charging or another car.
    Otherwise I need second car.

This is why superchargers are important for much more than regular long range travellers.

• Like x 1
  16. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

The vast majority of people don't need pickup trucks either.

• Like x 2
  17. SO_S90D

SO_S90D Member

For daily use, that’s true. But I suspect many people would like the option to go on longer trips. And the supercharger network makes it possible without too much compromise.

• Like x 1
  18. kbM3

kbM3 Member

Fisker as competition. That was a good one:)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

Sorry but I think you are wrong. May be that is correct for you, but a supercharge network is very impotrtant even if you use it only for 10 % of charging!

• Like x 1
  20. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

There is no competition for Tesla in 2018, may be in late 2019....