Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching people making poor car choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re the Tesla board. Even if we end up with another leaf we would hang out here a bit as it is a fairly well mannered board with lots of good info. And sooner or later we’ll probably own a Tesla so nice to stay informed.

TBH, I traded my Leaf on my Model 3. Once I drove it the fate was sealed. My wife still has the backup ICE car which paradoxically she only drives locally.

And if a semi hits you, what car would you rather be in an i3 or Model 3?

Holy *sugar* the rationalizations..

I cannot predict when and if I get hit by a semi.

I cannot also predict when and if I get a fender bender.

Given the unknowns and the rather permanentness of death, I’ll go with the Model 3 and deal with the cons if that bridge were to come.

Your ownership of multiple teslae makes it clear that you are in a financial situation to not have substantial problems if your car is in the shop for 2 months after a fender bender and the insurance coverage for a rental runs out. A lot of people aren't in that situation.

Reactions: cwerdna and UTMB
The two major things I see clouding your guess are:

What happens with tax credits as you mention

What happens with other EVs- in 2 years we're supposedly going to have a flood of other EVs on the market, potentially cheaper, new, as well. A LOT cheaper if they're both decent AND get the full 7500 (or bigger) tax credit. Will we? dunno. Will they be good? dunno. But nobody really does.

If VW puts out a non-crap EV with comparable range, better UI features (that ain't hard), service where you can actually get decent help/treatment, for 29.9k brand new, so 19.9k after federal and CA credits... yeah I think getting 25k for a 2 year old used SR Model 3 might be tough. OTOH is Tesla has FSD working in that time, different story. You might be right, I just think your confidence level is....optimistically high...given how many ifs/maybes surround EV pricing the next 2 years.
If tax credit comes back his Model Y will be that much cheaper also.
And even in 2021, $25000 Tesla would be an excellent choice even if Nissan brings 210 mile Leaf for $37K.

Reactions: MXWing
TBH, I traded my Leaf on my Model 3. Once I drove it the fate was sealed. My wife still has the backup ICE car which paradoxically she only drives locally.
I hear ya. We have had 4 test drives, two in the S and two in a Three. They were all awesome. We took an Eplus for a test drive not to long ago when we were in the US. It was pretty nice and I like the Epedal. The hatchback was also nice. I still love the styling of the model 3 sedan though. What a nice classy car.

Yah I suppose. We thought about it at least once. We should probably reconsider it as both of us loved our test drives in the S. Don’t laugh but one of the reasons we leaned away from an S was the size of the car and our garage. It would fit but would be really tight. Frankly I would probably just park it outside in my leafs spot and put the leaf in the garage. We recently saw a nice 2017 on autotrader in Montreal. Right around a 100 grand (Canadian). About 25000 more than what we want to spend though.

Anyway. We have some time, I still think there is a chance that they’ll develop an adapter before we buy. Then we would get a new model 3 LR RWD white on white, sport rims, FSD.

Re the Tesla board. Even if we end up with another leaf we would hang out here a bit as it is a fairly well mannered board with lots of good info. And sooner or later we’ll probably own a Tesla so nice to stay informed.
I don't want to be pessimistic, but I am not sure about the adaptor any more...it might be more profitable for Tesla to maximize the use of the Superchargers.

The sense of superiority many people have on this forum is truly disappointing. That’s part of the reason why I never owned a Harley during my years of riding; I never wanted to be associated with a group of people who thought themselves better than others because of what they chose to ride. Apparently I now find myself in a similar group.

That's too bad. I bought a Harley because I wanted one, and I don't give a damn what other owners think or do. They're free to live life how they want, and so am I. Just live your life.

Your ownership of multiple teslae makes it clear that you are in a financial situation to not have substantial problems if your car is in the shop for 2 months after a fender bender and the insurance coverage for a rental runs out. A lot of people aren't in that situation.

Even with 3 Tesla's in the family, there are 3 full time drivers that support their cars. Same stress if any of them are out of commission as one person household with one Tesla.

I haven't had a fender bender but I wont give up my Tesla based on just a *possibility* that might happen. Anything can happen, but it doesn't mean it will happen. There are ways to manage risks. Look for the insurance coverage that works for you. If there is an accident that allows the car to be drive-able , why not drive it until waiting for parts?

If it was a big enough hit to disable the car, I’m glad I’m in a Tesla.

If it was some warranty issue, you get a loaner. Consider I always get loaners even in the most impacted service market, Tesla will provide.

I am just like anyone else when it comes to the fundamental theorem of economics: "Unlimited wants, limited resources".

I might get a little bit more of the wants I desire over the next person because I managed my limited resources probably a little more wiser than the next person.

I was personally able to go from a M3 (Mazda 3!) to a 3P because I skipped a few BMW M3’s along the way.

I was fortunate enough to jump on a second 35K Model 3 because I already have the same cash outlay anyway. It just replaces my Volt lease.

In exchange, I get a far superior product and one that if I decide to - I can drive as little as I want, or as much as I want. I can also keep it for as long as I feel like it.

You are not a fool if your budget is only 20K. Buy the Volt.

You ARE a fool if you have 35K and you bought something else.

One of the worst mistakes a person can make at finances or giving up optimal utility is throwing good money after bad.

Last edited:
You are not a fool if your budget is only 20K. Buy the Volt.

You ARE a fool if you have 35K and you bought something else.

One of the worst mistakes a person can make at finances or giving up optimal utility is throwing good money after bad.
That sums up my feelings for the same dollars at $35K, the Tesla Model 3 is the best value in 2019. Who knows what will come later. But if you’re in the market today that is it.

Same stress if any of them are out of commission as one person household with one Tesla

You’re telling me that if your car was unavailable neither of the other drivers could adjust their schedule to help compensate by helping drive you around, or the other two share rides and you take one of the cars, or something along those lines?

That’s not the same as a dude who only has one car and lives alone and has nobody to share with.

For the record, I’d still buy a model 3 so I’m in your camp, but I’m just pointing out that other people have other circumstances. Also I think the people who live 300 miles from a service center are completely bonkers

Last edited:
Reactions: OutofThyme
I'm sure if we were to go to a Leaf or other EV forum, we would find threads similar to this.

You’d find a whole lot of ignorance.

Or you will find insurmountable or irrational lines in the sand like Bimmer forums. “If it doesn’t make noise, I don’t want it.”

As I said, I have a Volt and joined the enthusiast groups.

What I find is people have already made up their minds on the superiority of the Volt or hate Elon Musk.

They have not invested the hours to understand the Model 3. If they did, they wouldn’t say the things they do.

Or they say something like they wish they could have the 3, but they can’t afford it.

That the Model 3 is triple the cost of a Volt (it’s not)

They think it’s a $700 monthly payment which is not true if you factor in all the incentives and credits.

Range anxiety is a huge concern when it’s really not. Few people drive in a pattern where the Model 3 is going to burn lots of their time.

Those who are 90 percent or more in gasoline should be getting a Prius instead of a Volt. I’ve never owned a Prius but I know enough about them to know they are the superior car for those who are lugging around discharged batteries for the majority of their travels.

Or they talk *sugar* on Elon Musk and it’s not even the merits of the actual vehicle anymore.

I’ve have had to post an image of my middle finger on the Volt touch screen to prove I’m not a troll or Tesla shill.

Last edited:
That's one fantastical Iron Butt :D

Me wants.
I feel the same way, but people tell me this is a feature they need.

That and the lack of engine noise.

But we know in here it just sounds funny when when a nice sounding engine revs up real loud like it's trying so hard to keep up with a silent car... Of course those same people tell you then that acceleration isn't everything at which point i have to agree. That's why Tesla is so great, they have better acceleration and fuel economy and great handling. Then they say the interior sucks and it's a shitty basic interior and the rich screen is dumb etc, But what's more luxurious than having the car drive for you?

Then the conversation always ends in "real case guys want shifting and sound and Superior quality" then on to panel gaps etc.

Well people just like what they like and are afraid of change... Next time i hear that my car will add several hours to a road trip and that my car can't just fill up in 10 minutes, I'll just respond with "can your car go 6 months without ever filling up at the station period?"

Last edited:
Reactions: iMoe