Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water condensation in tail light trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem, i also have water coming out of every opening when i open the trunk. As far as i can see there is an opening above the taillight between the metal

Yikes! That doesn't look good. My bet is a poor rear window glass seal. Whenever I wash my car, water will pool in the gap between the glass and the body along the bottom edge of the glass. My practice now is to lift the rear hatchback and let it drain out for a minute or two before I chamois off the car.

I just washed my new (1 month old) MS, and I too noticed condensation in the left backup light, but not the right. I don't recall seeing this on delivery. I think I'll wait and see if it goes away. From reading this thread,it looks like it happens to many of us after washing, and some people report it stops, others not. If not, it's off to the service center!

I just washed my new (1 month old) MS, and I too noticed condensation in the left backup light, but not the right. I don't recall seeing this on delivery. I think I'll wait and see if it goes away. From reading this thread,it looks like it happens to many of us after washing, and some people report it stops, others not. If not, it's off to the service center!

I had the problem and it took service 4 times to get it done, the last one involved a new solution from engineering that resulted in a service bulletin. Mine had condensation, but unfortunately the process of trying to fix that introduced another problem - dust intrusion. After I no longer had issues with condensation, I had problems with dust/dirt collecting inside.

I would encourage you to leave it alone. The condensation doesn't harm anything, is normal for the design, and evaporates shortly after washing and leaves no residual. I would hate for you to have to go through what I did.

Service resealed mine. No idea if it solves the problem since it's been parked in the garage and not moving since I got it back. Given that the vehicle will soon be traded, I don't think I'll ever find out if it solves the problem. If I lived someplace drier I'd probably not worry about it but I expect that I'd have the condensation 9 months of the year constantly here.

I had the problem and it took service 4 times to get it done, the last one involved a new solution from engineering that resulted in a service bulletin. Mine had condensation, but unfortunately the process of trying to fix that introduced another problem - dust intrusion. After I no longer had issues with condensation, I had problems with dust/dirt collecting inside.

I would encourage you to leave it alone. The condensation doesn't harm anything, is normal for the design, and evaporates shortly after washing and leaves no residual. I would hate for you to have to go through what I did.

Agree..I have had my rear appliqué deinstalled/reinstalled multiple times. Jerome G mentioned to me a few months ago that he is working on a totally redesigned chrome appliqué to both fix the problem and also upgrade appearance a bit (...nothing major, but I saw the beta appliqué on his sig red S).

If I lived someplace drier I'd probably not worry about it but I expect that I'd have the condensation 9 months of the year constantly here.
My current car has condensation in one of the tail lights... pretty much for the last 5 or 6 years. And yeah, it's pretty much a year round problem here, I won't be tolerating it if it is a problem on my Model S when it arrives :)