Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water falling into boot when opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this issue has been around since the model 3 was released. It's starting to annoy the hell out of me with all the rain we've been getting. Every day, I go to open the boot after the car has been sitting there overnight and every day the water just drips straight into the boot when I open it :mad::mad:

Has Tesla ever addressed this? Is it worth adding the issue to my upcoming SC visit?

I know this issue has been around since the model 3 was released. It's starting to annoy the hell out of me with all the rain we've been getting. Every day, I go to open the boot after the car has been sitting there overnight and every day the water just drips straight into the boot when I open it :mad::mad:

Has Tesla ever addressed this? Is it worth adding the issue to my upcoming SC visit?

It shouldn't happen. Some people reported this on early cars but I believe some modifications were made. It looks like there may be a fine tolerance between where the rubber edging (that is attached to the glass) finishes and the boot opening. There is a gutter space between the two that should carry away any drips.

August 2019 Delivery, not had any issue.

I wonder if having the glass sealant helps, breaks the flow into multiple rather than one big stream. My read glass is treated with Gtechniq G1.

It’s a design flaw... there might be sticking plasters to stop it falling from the glass but I can’t see how the water can ever stop falling from the bootlid straight into the boot area ...
without a total redesign, which won’t benefit anyone with a car now , I can’t see how this can be stopped

August 2019 Delivery, not had any issue.

I wonder if having the glass sealant helps, breaks the flow into multiple rather than one big stream. My read glass is treated with Gtechniq G1.
No I don't think so, as it's usually water drops on the boot lid which then flow onto the back screen and causes the waterfall into the boot!
I have an early Model 3 and one delivered 2 months ago and they both do it if there's been enough rain. Mind you, so did my last BMW so it's not just a Model 3 thing.
My solution is to have a non scrach silicon wiper handy to sweep the water off the boot lid and glass before opening.

no issues here either, I do keep the tiny gutter clear and don't fling the boot open, but other than a few drops getting in I'm impressed how well it keeps the water out. My volvo used to pour the entire surface of the boot lid into the back. I kept a towel in the boot to mop it up with.

no issues here either, I do keep the tiny gutter clear and don't fling the boot open, but other than a few drops getting in I'm impressed how well it keeps the water out. My volvo used to pour the entire surface of the boot lid into the back. I kept a towel in the boot to mop it up with.

I had a 2012 Peugeot 508 exactly like that too. The way the boot lid pivoted meant that the lid edge was about 3" inside the boot opening. A real PITA

Thanks guys, yes mine is one of the newer ones (delivery sep 2020). I have some glass water repellent on which could be making things a little worse (droplets clumping together into bigger ones). The problem I have is that the seal lip is usually filled with water already so there's no room to catch any droplets running off - instead they fly down the rear windscreen, skate across the flooded lip and fly straight into the boot!

I'm currently wiping lots of the excess water off the top of the boot by hand before opening which helps a bit - but then I have a wet hand :eek::mad:o_O