Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water leaked inside when driving through rain - known issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way back from a road trip, I noticed the front passenger carpet very wet (underneath my Tesla rubber matts). At first, I thought I tracked in water from walking in the rain. But upon further investigation, it was very soaked. I drove through some heavy rain while in GA, I think somehow the water splashed and the rubber seal didn't keep the rain out. I didn't see any signs of water on the headliner or the pillars, just the floor.
Anyone else have this problem on their MS?

Not on the floor matt, but the carpet underneath it and only on the passenger side. I didn't see any other signs of water in the areas you mentioned, but I did notice some moisture on the door sill, but didn't think much of it. :-(

I've washed the car several times, been through rain, not as heavy as the one I went through last week though, with no problems.
I don't think it's he AC drain, car was fine all the way to FL from NJ. It's only got 3k miles also.

I've washed the car several times, been through rain, not as heavy as the one I went through last week though, with no problems.
I don't think it's he AC drain, car was fine all the way to FL from NJ. It's only got 3k miles also.
Either ac drain plugged or windshield leak. Hope for the first. Crawl under car with ac running and look for the drip. If no drip find the drain and rod it out with a coathanger .If a drip, water is probably coming in and going through the dash which if not fixed could short something. In rare cases the drain doesnt get hooked up at the factory.

Happening to me too. New MS 90D purchased in March.

Only wet place is the passenger carpet. Discovered last week because of a bad musty smell. No leak/leak damage visible anywhere in the car (roof, pano, etc). Took to SC, who thought possibly was the AC drain but unlikely, but did something to it anyway. I had gone through a car wash and the car also sat outside in an overnight rain. It finally dried out during good weather. Then it rained on Monday, when I left it out again. Yesterday (Tuesday) morning was the first time it was wet again and just happened to be the day scheduled with the SC for a more in depth look. They wanted it two days, but didn't get it back to me today due to other issues (rattles, etc). So I don't know the final outcome. Will post.

SC had for 3 days. Said fixed. Day after I got back (yesterday) the passenger floor had a huge puddle again after leaving out in an overnight rain. They can't look at again for 2 weeks. Very disappointing.
Did you get this fixed? I have the same problem and saw another post saying it was the condensation drain tube that popped off. I'd like them to re-carpet if that's the issue. I carpet under the center console is wet and I can already smell that musty odor. If anyone has tips on how to deal with the service center, I would appreciate it. The car is brand new, 30 days old (Model s 2017).

Either ac drain plugged or windshield leak. Hope for the first. Crawl under car with ac running and look for the drip. If no drip find the drain and rod it out with a coathanger .If a drip, water is probably coming in and going through the dash which if not fixed could short something. In rare cases the drain doesnt get hooked up at the factory.
Did you ever get this fixed?