Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way to limit ludicrous mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a teenage boy who just received his temps. When he gets his real driver's license is there any to lock the car from ludicrous mode? I know I can limit top speed and place in valet mode, but these options do not achieve my goal.

Thanks

Please, just try my suggestion. You can set the limit to anything from 50 to 90.

Unlike valet, the frunk, glove box, and memory seats still work.

performance is reduced. How much on ludicrous I’m not sure. But definitely reduced on an s100d.

if the driver hits the speed limit it even notifies the app user.

Exactly

DBA784DC-9062-4A82-8CD0-8208830345C1.jpeg

Reactions: daviddfann
Yeah I get don’t give him the keys idea, but that is not reality. Eventually he will be driving it. I thought valet limits to 70 mph? Which is fine except the freeway.
How is that not reality? Dad didn't want sis driving his vehicle so he bought her a $3000 shitbox. Absolutely no reason any of my kids need to drive my S, they got by not driving my S yesterday why do they all of a sudden need to drive it today? Sure they can drive when Im in the car but they'll be getting their own shitbox when they can drive on their own.

I bought my 15 year old a 2014 Ford Focus Electric for $7K. My 17 year old ran into the back of a van with it and so I learned how to take the bumper off and then I stitched it together using zip ties. We call the car Jack now... (Jack Skellington for those that don't get the reference). Cheap electric cars are the way to go for young drivers.

Brent

Show the kid the phone app while somebody else is driving the car- showing exact location, speed, etc. Show him the power usage screen where spikes represent the driver flooring it. Install a GPS unit that tracks location and driving habits, or better yet, don't do that but tell him you did.

Use teslalog.com and Life360.com

And tell him the car has a record of everything and if he ever disables the access or teslalog shows max power > 300 (meaning he moved it into ludicrous) then he no longer has access. Let him make choices and learn the consequences of those choices. A good life lesson either way.

And show him the news stories of the other kids crashing and dying in their Tesla.

Reactions: Don TLR and hoang51
Yeah I get don’t give him the keys idea, but that is not reality. Eventually he will be driving it. I thought valet limits to 70 mph? Which is fine except the freeway.
Why not reality? My 19 yo son has never driven my 3, even with us in the car, and he won't be driving it in the foreseeable future. He has a 2009 Focus, which he's already wrecked once, and hit a curb another time. Nationwide, 43 percent of first-year drivers and 37 percent of second-year drivers are involved in car crashes. No way he's driving my Tesla.

Reactions: LCR1 and Krugerrand