Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out this weird intersection Waymo had to handle.

This clip is crossing Mason from Yacht Road, then turning onto Marina. Then later up into Pacific Heights. Pretty much all of this is in the employee-only zone (well, employees + Dads + brothers, ha). Here's another trip in the employee zone, mostly in the Mission and Market areas.

Dolgov shares exciting end of the year update on Waymo's progres:

Highlights:
  • 5th Gen was game changer
  • "even more ambitious" plans for 2023
  • More robust perception in different weather conditions, such as rain and fog
  • Rich detection and semantic signals such as pedestrian pose, gaze direction, or hand gestures
  • Understanding the intent of other road users via scene-level context and subtle social cues
  • Leveraging massive amounts of data to build large-scale synthetic simulation environments, with realistic sensing and agent behavior
  • #WaymoDriver generalizes across cities, which enabled us to scale in SF and PHX simultaneously this year, and showed incredible performance in LA right from the get-go.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ramphex
@drtimhill I want to take our discussion about Waymo's lidar to the Waymo thread.

Just to give more detail from my previous post. In this image, the top view is the lidar point cloud with some color coding, the bottom view is the camera view. That is not the NN interpretation. That is the actual lidar point cloud you are seeing.

LidarBlog_Sept22.png

In the video, the top part is the lidar point cloud overlaid on the HD map with some UI added. The bottom part is the camera view. The vehicles, pedestrians are from the point cloud. It is not the NN interpretation. But that view does have some UI added, like the red wall to show where the car should stop or the line that shows the planning path.

As you can see from the point cloud, the lidar has high enough resolution to detect and classify objects. Of course, just like any sensor, lidar just provides data that software has to process. So it is the software that actually detects and classifies, not the lidar sensor itself. The same is true for cameras too. Cameras don't detect objects, they just provide data that software uses to detect objects. But the lidar provides enough raw data for the software to detect and classify objects.

The older lidar from a few years ago had lower resolution and was probably not as good at detecting and classifying objects. That is probably what you are thinking of. But the new Waymo lidar has much higher resolution as you can see from the image above. The new lidar definitely can detect and classify objects very well.

And check out this Waymo presentation where Anguelov talks about the new 5th Gen lidar and shows the lidar point cloud with color coding.

Hope that answers your questions.

The older lidar from a few years ago had lower resolution and was probably not as good at detecting and classifying objects. That is probably what you are thinking of. But the new Waymo lidar has much higher resolution as you can see from the image above. The new lidar definitely can detect and classify objects very well.
yes, this is clearly an improvement, though I worry about the $$ for that higher resolution. it's tricky though to see how much you can resolve from the picture since the overlaid camera view tends to "fill-in" the point map.

Just to give more detail from my previous post. In this image, the top view is the lidar point cloud with some color coding, the bottom view is the camera view. That is not the NN interpretation. That is the actual lidar point cloud you are seeing.

That picture seems to be the lidar point cloud overlaying map assets: see the hashed crosswalk.

Also, we have no idea if that point cloud was generated in a single spin or MULTIPLE spins, e.g. how many seconds / spins of point clouds is that?

That picture seems to be the lidar point cloud overlaying map assets: see the hashed crosswalk.

The hashed crosswalk is from the lidar point cloud.

Also, we have no idea if that point cloud was generated in a single spin or MULTIPLE spins, e.g. how many seconds / spins of point clouds is that?

One 360 degree spin will generate a complete point cloud but the lidar does not stop after one spin. It spins continuously to generate a point cloud in real-time. You think the lidar just spins around once and then it is done? LOL.

Not likely. If you look below the lines, you see the actual points. The picture is heavily augmented with some overlay.

That is wrong.

Are you saying a LIDAR point cloud generates those concentric lines?:

Yes.

What do you mean from the lidar point cloud? lol. The hashed crosswalk isn't the point cloud.

The point cloud are those points I showed in the above screenshot.

Man, what are you smoking!

View attachment 892313

No. You are wrong. The point cloud is not just the tiny points we see behind the hashed line as you are trying to claim. You think the point cloud is just a few sparse points? LOL. The point cloud is millions of points that make up all those lines. All those orange lines are part of the point cloud.

No. You are wrong. The point cloud is not just the tiny points we see behind the hashed line as you are trying to claim. You think the point cloud is just a few sparse points? LOL. The point cloud is millions of points that make up all those lines. All those orange lines are part of the point cloud.

Nope, I'm not wrong. Not sure what kind of koolaid you're drinking.

• Funny
Reactions: diplomat33
Nope, I'm not wrong. Not sure what kind of koolaid you're drinking.

I am telling the truth. Here is video of Pony.AI autonomous driving with the lidar point cloud overlaid on top of HD map. You can see the static map and the concentric circles move with the car at the center. The car stays at the center of the concentric circles. You can also see vehicles cast a shadow in the concentric circles because the vehicle is blocking the laser light. The concentric circles are part of the point cloud, not the map. I know what I am talking about.

Side note: we see Pony.AI drive autonomously in snow and the lidar handles snow just fine. So let's stop the myth that AVs with lidar can't handle snow.

What do you mean from the lidar point cloud? lol. The hashed crosswalk isn't the point cloud.

The point cloud are those points I showed in the above screenshot.

Man, what are you smoking!

View attachment 892313

The white hashed crosswalk is not the point cloud (I was wrong in a previous post). That is the HD map. The orange/yellow concentric lines are the lidar point cloud.

Last edited:
Reactions: powertoold
The concentric lines are a visual aid to make the point cloud more palatable for human eyes.

You are definitely wrong about that. The concentric lines are not a visual aid. They are the result of the lidar scanning process:

lLHfkP1.png

The actual point cloud are those tiny dots I showed you.

Those tiny dots might be "loose" points in the point cloud but this is the point cloud:

btiAlov.png

Last edited: