Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

00:00 Intro
00:10 Ride start and interesting situation
01:10 Somehow I was not expecting this hill
02:30 Attempting right lane change
03:35 Zoox, call me 🤙
03:50 Cool lane change
07:10 Getting stuck in intersection
12:05 Going around stopped car
13:45 Car in window hallucinations for a minute or so
15:45 Not-so-great PUDO followed by disaster

The intersection situation at 7:10 was interesting. The Waymo was already half way into the intersection when the light turned red. As Ed Niedermeyer points out, a human driver would likely have committed and just gone even though it was a red light just to get out of the intersection. But the Waymo stops presumably because it is programmed to obey traffic laws and not run a red light. In this instance, the intersection bends and the Waymo does not appear to be seriously blocking traffic so it ended up fine.

The drop off at the end was horrible. Waymo definitely needs to keep working on drop offs.

Well we are discussing driverless readiness and not necessarily paid public service.
Your post said: "How long do you think it will take for them to offer a 24/7 driverless service (in whatever way, employee only then public tour or full public service) in 50-100 sq mile?" I'm pretty sure EVNow's reply of 3 years referred to full public service, as did my comments.

They can't serve all the geofence that they can drive driverless in. Because of the limited amount of cars they have left.
"Limited cars" is Waymo's choice. Jaguar would be delighted to deliver the 20k i-Paces Waymo "ordered" 5 years ago. Production doesn't stop until 2025.
They officially left in 2019,
Yikes. Time flies.

I never said "Austin took 8 years". Just that early testing gave them a head start in Austin. Despite that it'll take them ~2 years from restart to full public service. I disagree that earlier h/w and s/w erases that head start. Otherwise it'd be pointless to test to soon-to-be-obsolete Gen 5 there today.

You seem to be focused on how fast Waymo "could" deploy. But you asked how long it "will" take. Two very different things. Their technology has never been the issue. It's their lack of business model and entrepreneurship that's slowing their rollout.

Your post said: "How long do you think it will take for them to offer a 24/7 driverless service (in whatever way, employee only then public tour or full public service) in 50-100 sq mile?" I'm pretty sure EVNow's reply of 3 years referred to full public service, as did my comments.
Sorry, let me re-phrase it.

1) How long do you think it will take for them to offer a 24/7 driverless service in 50-100 sq mile for employees only?
2) How long do you think it will take for them to offer a 24/7 driverless service in 50-100 sq mile for beta public riders?
3) How long do you think it will take for them to offer a 24/7 driverless service in 50-100 sq mile for full public service?

So three timelines.

"Limited cars" is Waymo's choice. Jaguar would be delighted to deliver the 20k i-Paces Waymo "ordered" 5 years ago. Production doesn't stop until 2025.
Yup I agree.

Waymo Execs likely leaning towards the Zeekr car rather than retro-fitting more I-Paces. But I disagree and probably lots of employees disagree with them on that because its going to slow things down. Its probably going to take to the end of 2024 to get a meanful amount of those cars in the US and also to validate the platform.

I never said "Austin took 8 years". Just that early testing gave them a head start in Austin. Despite that it'll take them ~2 years from restart to full public service.
Duly noted.

How long do you think it will take for them to be driverless for employees and then also for beta public riders (before full public service)?

I too believe there won't be a public service like PHX anytime soon, but not because of tech limitations. Mainly because of exec decisions and the fact that there aren't enough cars to go around.

Based on their statement in August: "we’ll begin an initial phase of operations this fall, with fully autonomous deployment and our first rides with the public in the months following."

I believe it points towards them initiating a driverless beta public ride phase for people on the wait-list by the end of 2023 or Q1 2024 at the very latest. So below 1 year from restart.

I disagree that earlier h/w and s/w erases that head start.
How meaningful is the head-start if it consisted of maybe ~3% of your current plans? (The geofence before compared to the geofence they are planning on offering). Not even taken into consideration the night and day difference in software.

Now however if you're saying testing in Austin before helped make their system overall better and more general, then yes every city they have tested in has improved their software, shown them areas to improve their hardware, processes, etc.

Otherwise it'd be pointless to test to soon-to-be-obsolete Gen 5 there today.
I don't think Gen 5 is going to be obsolete. I think the tech going into the Zeekr van will be of similar quality as Gen 5 with maybe some reduction in size (productization). I say maybe because even the Gen 5 when announced looked more sleeker than what it ended up being. There are several missing sensors on the released Waymo Zeekr Concept Van. But hopefully the difference between retrofitting and actually being built to specification from the factory means we get a more integrated looking vehicle.

Gen 4 > Gen 5 on the other hand saw multiple orders of magnitude quality increase in every category.
You seem to be focused on how fast Waymo "could" deploy.
Well that's all that matters when looking at how mature the SDC tech is.
I look more into when they start offering driverless rides to employees and then when they start offering rides to public beta riders.
Actually being able to run a full public charging service takes more and can run into regulations (as we saw in California) or not enough vehicles.
Their technology has never been the issue. It's their lack of business model and entrepreneurship that's slowing their rollout.
We both agree on this. Definitely!

And the point i'm trying to make is, do you agree or disagree that having 1-5 cars in a city is different from having 50-100 cars?
do you agree or disagree that having 10k-50k cars in a city is different from having 50-100 cars?

I can see Waymo offering a service there in 4 years. But i'm less interested in whether they will attempt to offer a service.
But rather if they tried, how long would it take. You seem to say they are already trying and failing even if they just sent "One Google self-driving Lexus RX450h SUV"
It is useless to me if it is going to take 4 years. I'd have moved out of this place & retired by then - thanks to TSLA. Also wherever I move I'll be able to use my FSD. Take that WayTinyODD !

0:00 Start
0:39 Briefly exceeding the speed limit
0:51 Begin 30 mph speed limit
3:31 Lane change for slowing lead vehicle
10:37 Pull over & vehicle approaching warning
10:55 Pull out with traffic
11:52 Slowing for vehicle with lights on
12:35 Weird intersection shape with pedestrians crossing
13:02 Smooth yield to privileged cross traffic
13:17 Passing a parking car with oncoming traffic
13:47 Unprotected right turn
14:21 Roundabout
16:27 Indecisive pull over location
15:62 Calling support
17:16 Destination update & extremely narrow road
18:01 Pull over

Waymo has done over 700,000 driverless rides this year!

Thank you @Waymo riders for taking over 700,000 trips this year with no human behind the wheel. And to our team who made it happen! Much more work to do to safely scale our tech, but excited to welcome more riders in more places in 2024.

Reactions: Bitdepth
Lots of good Waymo driving in this video!

00:00 Ride start
00:15 Unprotected right
01:10 Nudging around pedestrian
02:10 Guy wants to parallel park
03:00 The titular almost-accident
03:10 Waymo honks
03:45 Slowing and nudging for pedestrian
04:45 Changing lanes for truck
05:15 Edge of lane for car sticking out
09:15 Path visual freaking out
10:40 Giving space to more pedestrians
11:35 Braking for scooter
15:08 Unprotected left on yellow
15:50 Dude going 58 in a 25 runs red light
16:55 Attempted left lane change…
18:24 Actual left lane change
21:25 Car whips to the right in front of Waymo to avoid stationary car
25:46 45mph in SF!
27:01 Tricky sharp unprotected right
28:30 Unprotected right and cool pedestrian prediction

Interesting case at 3:00, the car in front reverses to back into a parking space and almost backs into the Waymo. The Waymo honks at the car. The accident is avoided but the guy in the other car gets mad at the Waymo (I guess for not giving him enough space).

Last edited:
Cruise had it coming. The accident was the straw that broke the camel's back. I think Waymo will survive and hopefully prosper.
We will see. The details will probably matter. Hopefully nothing major happens for years (and they can point to many major accidents avoided!) so they can rack up those relatively incident-free miles in the meantime. It’s just a very unforgiving environment.

It’s a little sad that no matter how many miles they drive safely, they are one horrible accident (which may or may not be their fault) away from having to shut everything down.

Yeah but that is more about how our society and regulatory system works than how Waymo works. Society seems quick to condemn AVs for any mistake that they make. And I am not saying Waymo is perfect (they certainly are not). But I do think the tech is ready to scale (responsibly) to more places.

And IMO, Cruise was not shut down because of one horrible accident. They got shut down because of a constant trickle of incidents and accidents over many months that finally culminated in the tragic dragging of a pedestrian. Furthermore, Cruise tried to cover it up. The cover up was the final nail in the coffin. So in Waymo's case, when a serious accident happens (and we know an accident is inevitable eventually), I hope that society and regulators can look at the totality of Waymo's safety record and see that Waymo's overall safety record has been good and therefore they should not get shut down over one bad accident.

Of course, the details will matter a lot. An accident caused by Waymo would be much more serious than an accident where Waymo was simply the victim.

Reactions: spacecoin