Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some info on the Waymo One Tour in Santa Monica:

For Santa Monica, Waymo distributed over 1,000 early access tickets that work for one week and “served thousands of trips” in its first month, with 80% of people taking multiple rides. More than a thousand of those trips were to dine out and shop, while 27% of all trips took place between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Passengers gave Waymo One a 4.69 star rating on average.

35:40 -- 35:50 Yada yada, extra sensors doesn't make sense. Then the Tesla goes into oncoming traffic. Omar is such a shill and Gali is just not very smart.

Omar is talking and talking to justify how Tesla is so bad. It's just sad. "Waymo can't go everywhere", "sensors are so expensive". Dude: try to sit in the backseat in a Tesla have have it drive itself ANYWHERE.

Last edited:
35:40 -- 35:50 Yada yada, extra sensors doesn't make sense. Then the Tesla goes into oncoming traffic.
Omar: ..... all the extra h/w, all the extra cost to get the Waymo to run...
<Tesla veers into oncoming traffic>
Omar (w/o missing a beat): ....this thing can do pretty well without any of that.
LOL. He goes on to say Tesla will soon be so much smoother than Waymo, etc. because they have so much more data. Dude, they've had more data for a decade.

A minute later Gali says if he wants an autonomous taxi in SF he's calling Waymo instead of Tesla because "I'd get way less car sick and be way less freaked out". That couple minute stretch is hilarious.

At 16:30 the Tesla blows through a stop sign. Less than a minute later it almost veers into parked cars. None of this fazes Omar. He still drinks the Kool-Aid, now in exciting new "end-to-end" flavor.

At 16:30 the Tesla blows through a stop sign. Less than a minute later it almost veers into parked cars. None of this fazes Omar. He still drinks the Kool-Aid, now in exciting new "end-to-end" flavor.
He says "holy sh*t, whats going on here".

Today I engaged FSD with a short block to go before turning left - the car had to move over two lanes. There were two cars coming on the left ... so FSD had to go slow and once the cars passed change lanes. Instead it took and accelerated fast to catch up the cars. Had to disengage.

I don't know how much training is needed for E2E network to figure things like this out.

Reactions: boonedocks
None of this fazes Omar. He still drinks the Kool-Aid, now in exciting new "end-to-end" flavor.
He also goes on about how he doesn't have the latest version and the the next verison of course will blow your mind and the usual Tesla-stan bullcrap.

I actually have a bet with Omar on Twitter that I get to change his Twitter bio to whatever I want for 12 months unless Tesla is Level 3 in any ODD by September 2024. The bet was made in Sept'22. Doubt that he will honour it though.

I have the same bet with Teslascope's official account...

People are REALLY clueless.

He also goes on about how he doesn't have the latest version and the the next verison of course will blow your mind and the usual Tesla-stan bullcrap.

I actually have a bet with Omar on Twitter that I get to change his Twitter bio to whatever I want for 12 months unless Tesla is Level 3 in any ODD by September 2024. The bet was made in Sept'22. Doubt that he will honour it though.

The level of denial gets more amazing as time goes by. People just want to believe!

I’m curious how the end game will play out. Abandonment of HW3 is going to start happening in a couple years. I guess by then all the true believers will have HW4, so the dance will continue?

Just such a hard problem. No one even close.

0:00 Pull out
1:30 Braking for wrong way cyclist
6:34 Unprotected left turn
7:23 Roundabout
8:14 Awkward trajectory for lane split
9:06 Brake hop at red light
12:21 Extremely assertive lane change
12:37 Nudge for pedestrian and animal in street
13:49 Yielding to unparking car
19:33 Waymo show car at farmers market
20:06 To be continued

That lane change at 12:21 was super assertive. Looks like the Waymo Driver has no problem "forcing" itself in when it needs to in dense traffic.

Hopefully the sun has finally set on these shills given the steady stream of customer videos displaying embarrassing performance with the latest FSD software releases.

0:00 Pull out
1:30 Braking for wrong way cyclist
6:34 Unprotected left turn
7:23 Roundabout
8:14 Awkward trajectory for lane split
9:06 Brake hop at red light
12:21 Extremely assertive lane change
12:37 Nudge for pedestrian and animal in street
13:49 Yielding to unparking car
19:33 Waymo show car at farmers market
20:06 To be continued

That lane change at 12:21 was super assertive. Looks like the Waymo Driver has no problem "forcing" itself in when it needs to in dense traffic.

No drama. Waymo quietly knocks it out of the park.

Maybe after they maximize their operating territories they will determine how much, if any, excess design margin they have for possible system simplification and cost reduction.

Not in the area I live .... and thats what matters to 99% of US population that can't use WayMoTinyODD.

So let me ask you this. If Waymo decided to actually try to deploy a service in your location. How long do you think it will take for them to offer a 24/7 driverless service (in whatever way, employee only then public tour or full public service) in 50-100 sq mile?

Reactions: boonedocks
JJ Ricks 100th Waymo video with special guest Ed Niedermeyer:

00:00 Intro
00:40 Ride start
06:55 Yielding to emergency vehicle
17:13 Going around a car halfway at stoplight
17:40 Unprotected left
20:55 Beginning of dense pedestrian traffic and tight streets
23:50 Yielding to and then passing cyclist, which causes failed right turn and reroute
24:59 Tunnel
26:35 Unprotected right, yielding to pedestrians
28:30 Uphill climb
29:00 Cable car
29:20 Right on hill
30:10 Luke
30:35 Right turn with somewhat obstructed view
32:38 Ridiculous hill climb

So let me ask you this. If Waymo decided to actually try to deploy a service in your location. How long do you think it will take for them to offer a 24/7 driverless service (in whatever way, employee only then public tour or full public service) in 50-100 sq mile?
Not long. I don’t argue or even have dialogue with those comments but I feel like Waymo will deploy for a much higher % of the public than Tesla Vision will have in 12-36 months

Several years, going by past experience.

Not long. I don’t argue or even have dialogue with those comments but I feel like Waymo will deploy for a much higher % of the public than Tesla Vision will have in 12-36 months
You mean Tesla robotaxi ? Definitely - but if and when Tesla robotaxi comes it will rapidly expand. Any doubt it will expand faster than Waymo ?

Several years, going by past experience.
So are you disregarding the timeline in LA or do you take that into account?

How does your assessment of "several years" mesh with above?

Now some might say, "oh Waymo has always been in LA". But there's a difference between having acouple cars in a city versus having dozens. To the point people in LA see dozens of it all day long.

Also what do you think will be the timeline of Austin which begun mass testing in April 2023, will it also be several years similar to the timeline of your location?

So are you disregarding the timeline in LA or do you take that into account?
Let me ask you. How many years will it take Waymo to cover top 100 metropolitan areas in US ?

Again - once Tesla "gets to FSD", will it deploy slower or fast than Waymo ?

Its mind boggling how two companies with different strategies are being compared as if they have the same strategy and challenges. Calling this comparison dumb is giving it too much credit.