Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze, Model Y and Cell phone holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0831B67CN/

This one - someone else on TMC had recommended it but it doesn't work for me. Currently it resides in the "drawer of things I used to use or tried to use and maybe will again someday" but will in fact be thrown out at some future date while making room for more crap... ;)

I bought this and returned it about 20 days later after realizing the suction cup material started to melt. I had it sticking to the back of the screen at the time.

Reactions: Rocdude
I respect those who want to have a phone holder on the windshield or the screen - however - isn't it the same 'glance' to look at the phone at the windshield or near the screen as opposed to down on the charger? I like the minimalist look of the Tesla and have no desire to change it. Having said that - in my Wrangler I have all types of mounts etc etc - because its that type of car...

Reactions: laservet
I respect those who want to have a phone holder on the windshield or the screen - however - isn't it the same 'glance' to look at the phone at the windshield or near the screen as opposed to down on the charger? I like the minimalist look of the Tesla and have no desire to change it. Having said that - in my Wrangler I have all types of mounts etc etc - because its that type of car...
@VaxAce
My only concern is my normal cruising speed limit is 80 with a Lexus. I pay close attention to Waze as I drive. Not sure how it will work out with a slow car like a MY... I have to be extra careful. That’s my concern.

Am I the only one that finds these threads ridiculous? This is a solved problem on almost every new car sold today by way of CarPlay and Android Auto. Tesla’s resistance to implementing it in their cars is so frustrating.

These are the most technologically advanced cars on the road. All of these mounts and wires are so dated and clumsy. They could integrate CP/AA in the entertainment section of the interface and it would work great. At least make it a checkbox option for those of us that want to use it!

Am I the only one that finds these threads ridiculous? This is a solved problem on almost every new car sold today by way of CarPlay and Android Auto. Tesla’s resistance to implementing it in their cars is so frustrating.

These are the most technologically advanced cars on the road. All of these mounts and wires are so dated and clumsy. They could integrate CP/AA in the entertainment section of the interface and it would work great. At least make it a checkbox option for those of us that want to use it!
+1
Yes, CarPlay should be integrated

+1
Yes, CarPlay should be integrated

Tesla wants complete control over the user experience in the Tablet. Can't blame them. They need to display driving information on the display. Something that Carplay and Android auto do not allow.

Do I wish that Tesla would open their platform to third parties. YES. I would like a "Tesla APP Store" so that I could add other APPs to the entertainment and theater sections. For example Plex and Pocket Cast. For me, I would welcome the Waze data on my map. Would like to notify fellow travelers to hazards too. Waze and Tesla can do that without AA or CarPlay.

Tesla wants complete control over the user experience in the Tablet. Can't blame them. They need to display driving information on the display. Something that Carplay and Android auto do not allow.

Do I wish that Tesla would open their platform to third parties. YES. I would like a "Tesla APP Store" so that I could add other APPs to the entertainment and theater sections. For example Plex and Pocket Cast. For me, I would welcome the Waze data on my map. Would like to notify fellow travelers to hazards too. Waze and Tesla can do that without AA or CarPlay.

CP/AA do not have to take over the interface. It could be implemented as part of the entertainment section of the Tesla interface.

In fact it is not even capable of full screen in some cars with larger displays. See attached image of a Volvo touch screen for reference.
2A96B476-0FE2-4080-815E-57FBF24231A7.jpeg

Volvo & Google had to work together to do that integration. Google owns the full screen. It is not bad, but Volvo did sell it's sole to make it happen. It is not Android Auto it is "Google Automotive". Tesla would never do that. There is a way for both Waze and other APPs to work with Tesla. Musk once said they would have an SDK. We need to ask them to do it. Stockholders need to ask them to do it.

Tesla does not integrate Waze in its display. I need the waze for the up to date “speed trap” alert. So essentially I will NOT be using the expensive and huge Tesla display.

Any suggestions for safely integrating Waze (with current warnings) during driving?

Any recommendations for a cell phone mount/holder?

Thanks.
MagicMount™ Charge3 Dash

Mounted this on the left side dash next to the vent. Routed usb C cable (6ft not theirs) to center console pretty awesome there are also super cheap non charging mounts that are way lower profile
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Rot...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Got this mount yesterday and it works well to view movies on my IPad Pro while camping. Also works for the phone too. Will set it up tomorrow on the front windshield and take some pictures.

I got this mount to also view Waze or ABRP on a IPad mini.

Arkon Large Tablet Long Arm... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00585CLR2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Fred
Many years ago I had a mount like this and when I was in the Northeast in summer the suction cup would not hold more than 20 minutes. Does this one hold even in hot and cold weather?

Totally agree with you. We are in 2020 and Tesla is constantly talked about being a tech car, but when you exclude CarPlay and Android Auto there is no way you are tech car, at least with the infotainment system. Consumers want choices and do not want to be locked in.

We should not need a mount to get what we want. Ugly and stupid when you have that big screen.

Reactions: Stach and Filteq