Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We/I need some regen/discharge tick marks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The regen/discharge bar on the top right needs tick marks so can gauge how much power is being expended in real time. I know you can see this in the odometer cards at the bottom, but it's not very convenient or easy to read on the move.

I'm not sure what you mean that you can see the instantaneous usage in the cards. The cards only show an average.

I've gotten over micromanaging the efficiency though. It's nice to sometimes view, but I've realized that the if I want the highest efficiencies, stay away from adding that extra 5 or 10 mph to the speed limit and to keep the foot off of the brake as much as possible.

I also wanted this at first, coming from an S, which tells you the instantaneous kW of consumption and regen. But now that I've had the car for a few months, I don't really care anymore.

And to clarify, we're talking about the thin horizontal bar that turns black when you're consuming power, and green when you're regenning.

I also wanted this at first, coming from an S, which tells you the instantaneous kW of consumption and regen. But now that I've had the car for a few months, I don't really care anymore.

And to clarify, we're talking about the thin horizontal bar that turns black when you're consuming power, and green when you're regenning.
Bolt comes with 3 levels on this. Simple is a fixed graphics that changes shade, a ball that slides in a non-linear way above (regen) and below (consumption) a fixed line and phases green to yellow towards the extremes, and then a numeric kW readout of regen/consumption.

I turned off the kW readout really quickly. All those numbers flipping by, bah. I've left it on the middle setting, the rough equivalent to bar. Frankly, 6+ months in now I've long rarely paid attention to it anymore, too. It was more like a training device, for me. Have gotten used to judging how I'm affecting the range, what kind of driving does what.

Yes, that's it. All I want are some small marks on it that show how many kilowatts per mile you're consuming / regenning. They don't even need to be labeled as long as we know scale is. Like maybe one mark for every kilowatt/mile or something. Right now with no marks on the bar it's fairly useless. All it really tells is your using power or your getting it back with no reference to anything. At that point, why even bother putting on the display at all? With some marks at least you could make a guessimate about how to stretch your range or maybe whether or not you even need to worry. Since we already have the bar why not put some marks on it and make it useful?

I know with the LR it wouldn't necessarily be used 90% of the time, but if you somehow got yourself in trouble in the middle of nowhere it could be quite handy. My Leaf had this information and it was very handy when I was making a long trip. And yes, I know the LR is no Leaf, but still it's good to understand how your car uses power when you're driving. A lot ICE vehicles have a Miles per Gallon gauge and they can go a long distances too.

I am a software product designer by trade (also called UX designer). There's a saying in design circles: good design is a subtractive process. Most likely for Model 3, tesla evaluated the usefulness of specifying power levels on the bar and determined it was not useful, or it caused clutter. So they got rid of it. The big challenge of product design is that rarely can you satisfy 100% of people. You generally aim for 80%. In this case, they probably determined most people don't care/need to know that information.

If you're not convinced why good design is about ripping sh*t out, consider your typical cable provider's remote. There are so many buttons. And if you make the case for why any particular button exists, it wouldn't be hard. But all together, it makes for an unpleasant and confusing experience.

Also, just to clarify, the regen/consumption bar is a readout of instantaneous power, with units of kW. It is not a per mile measurement. Therefore it is pretty far removed from efficiency measurement, which in Teslas are Wh/mi. In other words, if your goal is to make sure you make it to your destination, instantaneous power is not going to give you much insight.

In Model S and X, there is an instantaneous efficiency readout (Wh/mi) that is much more useful in guiding the driver on how much juice they are using for a trip. That energy chart, which provides a "miles remaining" estimate based on your current usage habits, is not present on Model 3.

I am a software product designer by trade (also called UX designer). There's a saying in design circles: good design is a subtractive process. Most likely for Model 3, tesla evaluated the usefulness of specifying power levels on the bar and determined it was not useful, or it caused clutter. So they got rid of it. The big challenge of product design is that rarely can you satisfy 100% of people. You generally aim for 80%. In this case, they probably determined most people don't care/need to know that information.

If you're not convinced why good design is about ripping sh*t out, consider your typical cable provider's remote. There are so many buttons. And if you make the case for why any particular button exists, it wouldn't be hard. But all together, it makes for an unpleasant and confusing experience.

Also, just to clarify, the regen/consumption bar is a readout of instantaneous power, with units of kW. It is not a per mile measurement. Therefore it is pretty far removed from efficiency measurement, which in Teslas are Wh/mi. In other words, if your goal is to make sure you make it to your destination, instantaneous power is not going to give you much insight.

In Model S and X, there is an instantaneous efficiency readout (Wh/mi) that is much more useful in guiding the driver on how much juice they are using for a trip. That energy chart, which provides a "miles remaining" estimate based on your current usage habits, is not present on Model 3.
Tesla also has the fit everything into 1 screen rather than 2 + the wheel-hole display. Stuff had to get cut.

With the 310mi range and the SC network fleshing out there's going to be less need for it to try make those SC to SC leaps. It might still matter for the SR. Maybe they'll figure out how to fit it in without sucking eventually.

Bolt comes with 3 levels on this. Simple is a fixed graphics that changes shade, a ball that slides in a non-linear way above (regen) and below (consumption) a fixed line and phases green to yellow towards the extremes, and then a numeric kW readout of regen/consumption.

I turned off the kW readout really quickly. All those numbers flipping by, bah. I've left it on the middle setting, the rough equivalent to bar. Frankly, 6+ months in now I've long rarely paid attention to it anymore, too. It was more like a training device, for me. Have gotten used to judging how I'm affecting the range, what kind of driving does what.

Conplete opposite opinion on this. Been using the same kW Output measure on my Spark EV for over 3 years now and its saved me more than 1 time (including once when the rear electeonic brakes got semi stuck on).

It enabled me to easily gauge uphill and downhill terrain when I couldnt visually see the slope myself simoly by understanding my vehicles steady state power requirements and relative speed. Adjusting my driving patterns accordingly when I need or want to hypermile.

Super useful information to have that simply needs an option to be able to turn on.

Conplete opposite opinion on this. Been using the same kW Output measure on my Spark EV for over 3 years now and its saved me more than 1 time (including once when the rear electeonic brakes got semi stuck on).

It enabled me to easily gauge uphill and downhill terrain when I couldnt visually see the slope myself simoly by understanding my vehicles steady state power requirements and relative speed. Adjusting my driving patterns accordingly when I need or want to hypermile.

Super useful information to have that simply needs an option to be able to turn on.
An 80 mile range vehicle is going to be a very different experience.

I just put on CC and whatever the hills are doing the hills are doing. I can still see approximately where I'm at with the bar, and I can check at the macro level on the energy screen. The only thing I really adjust for is strong headwinds (or tailwinds) and there's usually visual indication of that on vegetation, or I feel it because of gusts, anyway.

Reactions: JeffK
I understand the need to keep things simply and non-cluttered, but just adding some little vertical lines down energy bar isn't really adding a lot, but you get a lot more info with that simple little change. Tesla could make them toggleable, so people could choose. Knowing your continuous power usage is very powerful tool for optimizing your range. If you can see that dropping your speed 5 mph is reducing your power consumption by 10%, or how having the heat/AC on or off is changing things, or how climbing uses power, it's really quite an eye opener. There are still some places where range even in a Tesla can get dicey. Not everywhere in the US has Supercharger coverage. Sure the major interstates do, but the state routes don't all have coverage. I live in Oregon, if you look at the map you'll Eastern Oregon is pretty much devoid of Superchargers even though their are many state highways through the area.

If you can see that dropping your speed 5 mph is reducing your power consumption by 10%, or how having the heat/AC on or off is changing things, or how climbing uses power, it's really quite an eye opener.

I agree with this to an extent. I don't need to know with granularity that it was a 10% reduction in power consumption if I slow down by 5mph. Likewise, I don't need to see the exact power reading that the HVAC contributes. Just knowing that it uses more on than off allows me to make the right calls on how often to engage HVAC. "Long black bar is worse than short black bar" is enough feedback. If I'm trying to drive efficiently, I try to make that black bar as short as possible.

Also, making things configurable in settings sounds reasonable at first glance, but then what you have is cluttered Settings, and it becomes difficult for users to discover where to configure stuff. Android suffered from this in its early days. They inevitably removed a lot of configurability, which caused some groaning from the power users, but it was a welcome change for the masses. Again, designing for the 80%. The tech users were always in the minority.