Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need a lot more...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
For the last 4 years Tesla has had trouble keeping up with the demand for charging in California. On an average Saturday, one of the largest Supercharger stations in Southern California has a wait. 48 stalls and still a 5 min wait.

IMG_20240210_144944~2.jpg

We need more L2 charging where people park for long periods. Especially multi unit housing. Too many people buying EVs with no way to charge them and only rely on fast charging. That’s not the way to do it.
I agree. Especially malls where people spend more time than at grocery stores, L2 chargers make a lot of sense. In fact I believe it will encourage people to spend more time at malls to get more charge. In general, L2 chargers can help get lots of EVs off superchargers. L2 is way cheaper to install.

I agree. Especially malls where people spend more time than at grocery stores, L2 chargers make a lot of sense. In fact I believe it will encourage people to spend more time at malls to get more charge. In general, L2 chargers can help get lots of EVs off superchargers. L2 is way cheaper to install.
I agree that would help. More superchargers would also help. However I see a different problem. Myself I would never buy an EV if I could not charge the car at home while I sleep. Not everyone has figured that out yet.

Every new house built should have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage from day one.

Every new Condo and Apartment building should have a 240 volt electrical line to at least half of the parking spots from day one.

As long as people use superchargers like gas stations this is going to be a problem.

I can't even remember the last time I went to a mall. It's been years. I can't imagine spending enough time at one to make charging worthwhile.

I can't even remember the last time I went to a mall. It's been years. I can't imagine spending enough time at one to make charging worthwhile.
Not just malls but basically any shopping center or grocery store or restaurant. You don’t need a full charge every time you plug in.

If someone doesn’t have home charging but can plug in at every errand stop they have to make, then it can keep their charge level maintained enough so they don’t have to rely on supercharging as much. 30 mins here, an hour there. That can be enough for 10-15%.

I can’t imagine owning an EV w/o having L2 charging at home. Worse than range anxiety (which I never get) is charging anxiety. I tried that with my last car…after a week I realized I needed a faster way to fuel and most electric companies are rebating L2 chargers now anyway. Even though I had a L2 charger already, when I got Model Y I picked up the Tesla Wall Connector (and ran a new dedicated circuit) because it’s about twice as fast as my previous EVSE.

If someone doesn’t have home charging but can plug in at every errand stop they have to make, then it can keep their charge level maintained enough so they don’t have to rely on supercharging as much. 30 mins here, an hour there. That can be enough for 10-15%.

On average people drive less than 37 miles a day. That's a little over 1 hour on a L2 charger. Could very easily be done at daily errands. Work place charging would also make a massive impact on EV charging. That's where people park their cars all day. I think charging at the work place is the most underrated location for chargers but would make the biggest impact for EV charging.

Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex
On average people drive less than 37 miles a day. That's a little over 1 hour on a L2 charger. Could very easily be done at daily errands. Work place charging would also make a massive impact on EV charging. That's where people park their cars all day. I think charging at the work place is the most underrated location for chargers but would make the biggest impact for EV charging.
Since I work from home, my home charger covers me at work too ;-)

Reactions: David99