Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need that CCS adapter soon [Volta installing EV charging at Walgreens]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A step in the right direction! Walgreens is a HUGE brand with apparently a lot of locations across the country.

But I don't think I've ever been in a Walgreens long enough to get a decent amount of charge in an EV. Hopefully Volta will get in negotiations with grocery store chains and highway-side restaurants chains next. The few Superchargers I've used at places like Hanafords and Applebees were great.

Walgreens doesn't have bathrooms, at least I've never noticed one in a Walgreens. A fast charger location without a bathroom is unacceptable.

As for the CCS charger. I want one eventually but it's far from critical right now. The current CCS network is pathetic, I would not want to own a CCS car right now. We just went to Maine yesterday, at the Kennebunk Service Plazas (North and South) there are eight Superchargers at each but only one Chargepoint 62KW unit. At the Portland Supercharger location there are also eight Superchargers plus one 62KW EVGo. BTW none of the CCS chargers were in use but there were some plugin hybrids using the J1772s.

Walgreens doesn't have bathrooms, at least I've never noticed one in a Walgreens. A fast charger location without a bathroom is unacceptable.

As for the CCS charger. I want one eventually but it's far from critical right now. The current CCS network is pathetic, I would not want to own a CCS car right now. We just went to Maine yesterday, at the Kennebunk Service Plazas (North and South) there are eight Superchargers at each but only one Chargepoint 62KW unit. At the Portland Supercharger location there are also eight Superchargers plus one 62KW EVGo. BTW none of the CCS chargers were in use but there were some plugin hybrids using the J1772s.

Just because you don't know where to look doesn't mean they're not there.

1644865399401.png

Kennebunk has two (2) ChargePoint CCS/CHAdeMO DC fast chargers at each service plaza, not one.

Kennebunk Service Plaza - Northbound | PlugShare
Kennebunk Service Plaza - Southbound | PlugShare

They aren't nearly as fast as Superchargers, but they enable EV travel through the area and offer redundancy in the event of a station failure.

Also, Walgreens does have restrooms. Whether or not they're available for customer use probably depends on the location.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
> The current CCS network is pathetic ...

Not sure if I'm understanding the scope of this, but I'm currently looking at crossing the U.S. on 50. The supercharger outlook there is bleak. L1 DC fast and L2 (J1772) chargers are the only way across. I'm waiting for the CCS1 adapter; have a TT30 on order; and hoping the 14-50 will come back in stock on tesla.com (way cheaper than those on eBay), the latter two for RV park charging.

Not sure if I'm understanding the scope of this, but I'm currently looking at crossing the U.S. on 50. The supercharger outlook there is bleak. L1 DC fast and L2 (J1772) chargers are the only way across. I'm waiting for the CCS1 adapter; have a TT30 on order; and hoping the 14-50 will come back in stock on tesla.com (way cheaper than those on eBay), the latter two for RV park charging.

Tesla are still building out the Interstate Supercharger locations - though I believe they've started talking about US and state highway systems as well.

Making that journey on L2 alone would be rather time consuming, but I think you'd be in short range of some Superchargers along the way to speed up the overall trip. The few L2 required stops would likely be good overnighters. I hope you do a trip writeup - that would be good information for other people hoping to do the same thing. The CCS adapter would certainly be a benefit, but the rate Tesla is moving I'm not sure I'd wait on it.

Tesla are still building out the Interstate Supercharger locations - though I believe they've started talking about US and state highway systems as well.

Making that journey on L2 alone would be rather time consuming, but I think you'd be in short range of some Superchargers along the way to speed up the overall trip. The few L2 required stops would likely be good overnighters. I hope you do a trip writeup - that would be good information for other people hoping to do the same thing. The CCS adapter would certainly be a benefit, but the rate Tesla is moving I'm not sure I'd wait on it.
Thanks, Loud. Will do. My wife & I went around the continent last year: S from the SF Bay Area to Palm Desert; E to Ft. Lauderdale across the deep south; N to VT and ME; back across Canada to Vancouver; then back down the west coast to home. Supercharging mostly, but also using TDCs and other L2s at selected hotels for overnighters. The only time we nearly ran dry was going to "west west Texas" to visit Terlingua & the Rio Grande. This year looks harder. We want to drive Rte 50 all the way from SF (Sacramento, officially) to Ocean City, MD (my teen home, sort of). There's lore.

Thanks, Loud. Will do. My wife & I went around the continent last year: S from the SF Bay Area to Palm Desert; E to Ft. Lauderdale across the deep south; N to VT and ME; back across Canada to Vancouver; then back down the west coast to home. Supercharging mostly, but also using TDCs and other L2s at selected hotels for overnighters. The only time we nearly ran dry was going to "west west Texas" to visit Terlingua & the Rio Grande. This year looks harder. We want to drive Rte 50 all the way from SF (Sacramento, officially) to Ocean City, MD (my teen home, sort of). There's lore.

Sounds entertaining. A CHAdeMO (or CCS...) adapter will definitely help. Be sure to get your "Loneliest Highway" passport for the Nevada portion. Get it stamped at some spots along the way, send in the postcard, and receive a certificate and pin.

That sounds amazing.

I went to Terlingua a few years ago with my brother-in-law and his kid in my Jeep. I've been thinking about returning in a Tesla ever since. How was charging in the area? Did you use RV locations or have something available at a hotel?

That sounds amazing.

I went to Terlingua a few years ago with my brother-in-law and his kid in my Jeep. I've been thinking about returning in a Tesla ever since. How was charging in the area? Did you use RV locations or have something available at a hotel?
We used a free charger at the campground just outside Marfa before driving down to Terlingua, but barely had enough to get back (driving below the speed limit, which the car advises you on, but does not make you friends on the road). Couldn't make the superchargers on Rte 10. There's a TDC private to a rental Airstream trailer, which if I had it to do over again, I'd've rented. There's also an RV park .. for which I did not have the requisite TT30 and 14-50 adapters. This year, just got the TT30 today; hoping for a semi-affordable CCS from Tesla (as opposed to $610 from Lectron); and Tesla is also out of stock on the 14-50, though they have the whole kit of seven for $245.

We drove US 50 through Nevada last year in an ICE but checked out the CCS/CHAdeMO stations along it. Some were quite dilapidated and not obviously usable. With care and patience to use 14-50 at RV parks, it should be possible though.

We used a free charger at the campground just outside Marfa before driving down to Terlingua, but barely had enough to get back (driving below the speed limit, which the car advises you on, but does not make you friends on the road). Couldn't make the superchargers on Rte 10. There's a TDC private to a rental Airstream trailer, which if I had it to do over again, I'd've rented. There's also an RV park .. for which I did not have the requisite TT30 and 14-50 adapters. This year, just got the TT30 today; hoping for a semi-affordable CCS from Tesla (as opposed to $610 from Lectron); and Tesla is also out of stock on the 14-50, though they have the whole kit of seven for $245.

Personally, I recommend the entire adapter kit. It’s come in handy several times.

• Informative
We drove US 50 through Nevada last year in an ICE but checked out the CCS/CHAdeMO stations along it. Some were quite dilapidated and not obviously usable. With care and patience to use 14-50 at RV parks, it should be possible though.

I did it in 2019, along with two other Teslas in our tour group of about 30 cars. Supercharged in Wendover, and we spent the night in Ely - 14-50 charging overnight at the Ely KOA. The other two Tesla did some 14-50 charging at the Silver Sky RV park in Eureka while we explored the town a bit. We also did some 14-50 charging while eating lunch at Cold Springs Station. Then CHAdeMO in Fallon - where we spent the next night.

Since then, the State of Nevada has installed those charging stations along the way - though PlugShare reviews are mixed. There is even a Supercharger site planned for Ely later this year. So it is gradually getting a lot easier.

Personally, I recommend the entire adapter kit. It’s come in handy several times.

You've certainly been doing this a lot longer than me with a lot more miles, but the only adapters I've used away from home are NEMA 5-15 and L5-30. I even use NEMA 14-50 in the garage at home with full expectation of using it abroad and never have. I'm curious what your various use cases have been.

I suppose the marine 50A adapter would have been nice - I could have even used one that converted to NEMA 14-50. And the 10-30 and 14-30 could have been good for a couple houses we stayed in with the laundry room near the garage, but I'd still have needed an extension cord as well. But in truth we were typically sat still long enough that 15A was good enough - even when it was 4°F outside. Otherwise there was a Supercharger relatively nearby.