Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We really need multiple waypoints in the Nav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next year, when FSD is out, at least you'll be able to manually add your waypoints one at a time while underway without danger of crashing. Just the same way you'll be able to safely manually execute a playlist one song at a time from your USB device.

Probably not, since Elon was pretty clear that those features will all remain at Level 2 (Driver must always be in control and prepared to fully take over, with hands on wheel, at all times) until regulations catch up and that's very very very unlikely to happen next year no matter how good FSD gets by then.

You're never going to see it on the main screen.

The feature you're trying to use just sends your destination address to the built in Tesla nav, saving you the work of typing in the destination on the screen.

That's it.

it doesn't use WAZE in any way whatsoever for the actual navigation

RIght...I knew it wouldn't put Waze on the actual screen, but it doesn't send the navigation to my Tesla interface at all...when I click share, and click on the Tesla app I get an "unknown error occurred. Please try again later" message. I did a manual reset of the computer on Saturday and have yet to try it again. Hmm.

The waypoint work around I use is to plot the trip in segments.

Yeah but that doesn't help with the travelling salesman problem... (which Garmin also had solved in 2004)

If you have to go run errands to 5 different places, you can put them into a 15 year old Garmin and it'll plot the most efficient route to get between them automatically.

Tesla? You can't even manually add 5 stops. Or 2.

I remember the car I traded in for my 3 (Acura TL) was packed to the gills with all these crazy navigation features. Not just optimized multi-waypoint and alternate routes, but it could route around bad weather, you could set it to avoid certain streets or arbitrary areas (by drawing polygons on the map), it could search some X distance around a planned route for POIs, it had persistent "breadcrumbs" denoting your path when driving off-road, tons of settings and customization, and even a database of scenic roads to drive on. Of course most of these features were buried in a convoluted directory of menus and probably most users never even saw most of them, and you had $200/year map update DVDs, but it's still hard to see Tesla's navigation as anything but barebones. Hopefully it'll get some love in V10.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
most of these features were buried in a convoluted directory of menus and probably most users never even saw most of them

Featuritis ... Feature creep - Wikipedia ... if you can't get a feature in a system in a way the user can access simply and intuitively, then its rarely worth the complexity it brings, and can actually detract from overall utility once there's a bunch of such "features" layered on top of each other. While I agree with some level of waypointing, that Acura as you describe it sounds way over the top!

Reactions: robertmhoehn
Yep. Where I miss it most is when we are heading out in a longer trip but need to stop for food along the way. It's probably poor planning but sometimes you just want to get on the road and find food when you get hungry.

It would be nice to insert a destination while still keeping your original/final destination programmed in.
Agreed.

Yeah but that doesn't help with the travelling salesman problem... (which Garmin also had solved in 2004)

If you have to go run errands to 5 different places, you can put them into a 15 year old Garmin and it'll plot the most efficient route to get between them automatically.

Tesla? You can't even manually add 5 stops. Or 2.
I also use an app called inRoute. It is the most sophisticated route planner I've found. Very flexible. The basic program is free. You can export to other formats.

• Informative
Reactions: Jazz_MIII
To set waypoints to follow in the car I use the Tesla web browser and set A Better Routeplanner as a favorite. Then I set a non-linked ID/PW combination to remember routes between my tablet and car.

Then I explore routes on the tablet, charging points and different roads. When I like a choice, I save it on the tablet and recall it in the car for use.

To get the battery supercharger warming prep, I then use the Tesla navigation for each segment.

It makes for fun planning to set the arriving battery charge, for local driving, and to see charge times needed at Superchargers. With Tesla charging speeds increasing, the predicted times are too long, but the predicted charge amounts are correct.

I even adjust the watts per mile to see how driving a higher speeds affects the battery use. The settings in the routeplanner (ABRT) are useful.

It’s fun.
It's fun? None of that sounds like fun to me, just a complicated work-around requiring me to have a tablet.

Fun would be a Tesla Nav that allowed one to add way points; not just additional superchargers, but side trips off the arbitrarily selected route in Nav. I can do that on a cell phone on Google earth by dragging the offered route to an alternate of my choice (maybe a scenic route, or a side trip to Bodie, etc.). Should be simple for Tesla to add that little bit of code. After all, Nav can already re-draw its route in response to my ignoring part of its route.