Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We really need multiple waypoints in the Nav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the navigation pane, after the last point it will display a round trip percentage If you turned around after your destination and re traced your steps. Check again. You should see it.

Thanks for pointing that out. It does show round-trip percentage for some trips. However I just tried re-entering the trip I took a couple of weekends ago, and reported on above. It showed that I'd arrive with 5% range left, and a warning about driving under 65 mph to do it. There was no display of round-trip percentage. Meanwhile, this being the San Francisco Bay area, I drove past probably a dozen or more Supercharger sites, including the Tesla mothership in Fremont, along the way...

• Informative
Reactions: Buddy
I remember last year there were leaked screenshots of the fall V9 software update and there was going to be multi-waypoint support, but then it was released with no multi-waypoints. And here we are almost a year later, and they're still MIA. What's funny is even Tesla's browser-based Trip planner (Go Anywhere | Tesla) supports multi-waypoints, and I guess uses the same routing engine.

To set waypoints to follow in the car I use the Tesla web browser and set A Better Routeplanner as a favorite. Then I set a non-linked ID/PW combination to remember routes between my tablet and car.

Then I explore routes on the tablet, charging points and different roads. When I like a choice, I save it on the tablet and recall it in the car for use.

To get the battery supercharger warming prep, I then use the Tesla navigation for each segment.

It makes for fun planning to set the arriving battery charge, for local driving, and to see charge times needed at Superchargers. With Tesla charging speeds increasing, the predicted times are too long, but the predicted charge amounts are correct.

I even adjust the watts per mile to see how driving a higher speeds affects the battery use. The settings in the routeplanner (ABRT) are useful.

It’s fun.

Last edited:
Another piece of info that would be nice when navigating to a destination is the predicted SOC at arrival. Unless I’m doing something wrong this is only available in the overview mode. Wish it was constantly there and easy to read in the Heading Up and North Up modes. If find myself always switching back and forth to see if its changing and whether I’ll make it to the destination easily or have to adjust the speed or power usage.

Reactions: Blucenturion
In case you weren't aware, the "TESLA NAV" button on ABRP will send the next Supercharger to the Tesla NAV system for just that purpose.

But aren’t you then using a Tesla Car ID/PW to talk directly to the car? I don’t allow third party apps to have access to the car. Ok, yes, Tesla App and STATS app, but one has to stop somewhere...

Wow I did not know it worked with Waze...super excited to read this!!! Thank you :)

Yes you can send a Destination from waze. On the iPhone waze app, there are a couple places where you can touch a ‘share location’ button. Then touch ‘more options’, then touch the Tesla icon.

Waze sort of works from the cars built in browser. But doesn’t seem to be able to access the GPS receiver. Also the builtin browser doesn’t just minimize pages - it reloads them. So one has to re-enter the route. Better to just run waze on the phone. Same with ABRP.

But aren’t you then using a Tesla Car ID/PW to talk directly to the car? I don’t allow third party apps to have access to the car. Ok, yes, Tesla App and STATS app, but one has to stop somewhere...

Fair enough. I guess I take ABRP at their word when they say they don't store my login credentials/token on their server and it's only stored in the local browser. For me, the benefit of allowing ABRP to access my car and the increased functionality it provides is worth the risk that they are really lying to me and collecting the data to sell to nefarious parties that might want to honk my horn in the middle of the night. But I get that others may be more risk averse.

Fair enough. I guess I take ABRP at their word when they say they don't store my login credentials/token on their server and it's only stored in the local browser.

Thank you for your explanation. My concerns are not that an app developer might be lying, but rather that there are unexpected consequences of their code, server and storage. If someone hacks their system or your browser and acquires the ID/PW, then the control of the car is easily locating it, unlocking it and driving it way. The vandalism of overheating the car or playing obnoxious music are available too. It just that if more apps have access to the car, then ALL their security control mistakes, accidental or otherwise, risk exposing the ID/PW.

Cyber security tech is so complex and variable that I just try to minimize exposure in systems I cannot control. But it would be nice to link ABRT to the car. I hope Tesla improves their nav system so I won’t remain tempted to make that link.

Yes you can send a Destination from waze. On the iPhone waze app, there are a couple places where you can touch a ‘share location’ button. Then touch ‘more options’, then touch the Tesla icon.

Waze sort of works from the cars built-in browser. But doesn’t seem to be able to access the GPS receiver. Also, the builtin browser doesn’t just minimize pages - it reloads them. So one has to re-enter the route. Better to just run Waze on the phone. Same with ABRP.

so I tried this, and I get an error saying to try again later....I load my route, click the share icon, then select more...find the tesla app and then the error pops up. But! I can still use Waze and have it talk to me over Bluetooth, I just don't see it on the main screen, only on my phone...

...?...I'll try a reset and see if that fixes things, I have a few issues that I need to address anyway and I am hoping the reset will do the trick :)

so I tried this, and I get an error saying to try again later....I load my route, click the share icon, then select more...find the tesla app and then the error pops up. But! I can still use Waze and have it talk to me over Bluetooth, I just don't see it on the main screen, only on my phone...

...?...I'll try a reset and see if that fixes things, I have a few issues that I need to address anyway and I am hoping the reset will do the trick :)

You're never going to see it on the main screen.

The feature you're trying to use just sends your destination address to the built in Tesla nav, saving you the work of typing in the destination on the screen.

That's it.

it doesn't use WAZE in any way whatsoever for the actual navigation

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
You're never going to see it on the main screen.

The feature you're trying to use just sends your destination address to the built in Tesla nav, saving you the work of typing in the destination on the screen.

That's it.

it doesn't use WAZE in any way whatsoever for the actual navigation

Correct. Waze (and other) app on the phone can send the destination to the Tesla nav in the car.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
I know it's been said before but not having the ability to add a waypoint while in route to your original destination seems to be an obvious feature to add on a car that's so technology-forward. This feature has been in most basic navigation systems for years now!

It's odd to me that they spend time tweaking the UI and adding video games while simple/valuable things such as this remain mysteriously absent.

I love my car and likely won't have anything other than a Tesla for a long time BUT... there is still room for improvement.

One good thing about the nav however is the ability to use Google Maps on your phone to send an address to the car. It will immediately receive it and start routing you to your desired destination while you're in motion. Pretty cool!
In before, “tesla is too busy adding beach buggy 2” comment. Haha. I agree there’s a few pretty sensible features but for some reason it’s not in there yet.

Voice control (they say it’s coming)
Energy charged automatic calculation (we have a tablet interface this is so easy to add)
Smart charging, be at xx% by 6am for example.
Review sentry mode clips at the tablet.

Reactions: turnem