Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Volkswagen XL1 is the best looking car that incorporates rear wheel covers that I've seen.

2013-Volkswagen-XL1-front-three-quarters-in-motion-6.jpg

Outside of being terribly engineered, impractical and expensive, the XL1 is actually very well designed aesthetically. It incorporates side cameras in place of mirrors which I believe Tesla is trying to get permission for as well. Also back wheel covers and a narrow backside.

Of course, on the other hand it is a diesel hybrid, thus it is a 2 seater, 0-60 in 12 seconds, only 70 hp and costs $100k+. I would be very happy if Tesla could incorporate their drive train and battery technology into a design like this for the Model 3.

I really would be ok with a 3/4 sized Model S. Keep the same design language. Loose the black nose cone.

I think they need to keep a design identity much like BMW has done with their cars. Adds value to the brand and makes it easily identifiable.

Based on Elon's comments this may not be the direction though.

Agree, plus I can see gazillion of problems with those wheel arches and snow. Please no, won't someone please think of the chi..Finnish! (and other nordics)
Yes! As I knock snowbergs out of my wheel wells every day before parking in my garage — to reduce the water and mud on the floor — I have to believe that those advocating covered wheel wells have never driven in snow before.

Yes! As I knock snowbergs out of my wheel wells every day before parking in my garage — to reduce the water and mud on the floor — I have to believe that those advocating covered wheel wells have never driven in snow before.

Wouldn't matter in the UK as roads and service close at 1mm thickness of snow. The first sign of a snowflake the Prime Minister abandons what he's doing and issue an alert and calls upon the army to be ready for the worst... 2mm of snow.

Wouldn't matter in the UK as roads and service close at 1mm thickness of snow. The first sign of a snowflake the Prime Minister abandons what he's doing and issue an alert and calls upon the army to be ready for the worst... 2mm of snow.
:biggrin: Hah! Different world here in the USA snow country. And, I presume, in the Nordic countries and Canada.

My tiny county, population about 4500, plows and sands the roads promptly after each snowfall. It is an expected public service in most parts of Colorado. The plow driver was already working on my remote rural cul-de-sac this morning even as I was still shoveling my long (400 foot) driveway.

Portland, Oregon and Seattle are that way. We get serious snow infrequently enough that cities don't have many snow plows. It's cheaper to roll up the sidewalks for the day or two it snows per year. Most people who move here from snowier places laugh at the locals until the second or third time it snows, then they learn to stay home and take a day off.

If there's snow just remove the wheel well covers and store them. You're unlikely to be driving at the speeds which would benefit that much from the improved aerodynamics anyway.

I live in south of Spain. Here it snow once every 50 years (not joking) and if the wheel covers are removable I will ask to discount the price of them of the car total price. I don't want wheel covers. I want a "normal" good looking car (and I'm sure most of people also want a normal good looking car). You can't pretend sell 500.000 cars every year and put wheel covers on it, because most people want "normal" cars, not weirdmobiles.

It's all just speculation based on an unconfirmed rumour that Tesla are aiming for a Cd<0.2. Wheel well covers have featured on low Cd vehicles in the past.
They would have to be removable since tires have to be changed, but maybe Tesla can achieve Cd0.2 by other methods. Or maybe the covers could be transparent.
Or maybe Model 3 will just look like a normal car and the Cd value can be similar to Model S.
Nobody knows. Fun times.

The weather forecast for tomorrow (Sunday) in the southern part of Norway is about half a meter snow.... :p
That's way more than I usually get in this near-desert climate at 38º N latitude. My record for a single storm over the last three decades is 64 cm last February (took me ten hours over two days to shovel my driveway). Nevertheless, the "el Niño" weather pattern has brought some decent snow this winter:

24190217532_49668855c2.jpg

Part of my long driveway yesterday.

23670175054_9a4f5a667e.jpg

The freshly plowed dirt cul-de-sac I live on. It isn't much snow compared to a place with serious winter, such as Norway! Still, I really dislike the idea of wheel well covers...

- - - Updated - - -

If there's snow just remove the wheel well covers and store them. You're unlikely to be driving at the speeds which would benefit that much from the improved aerodynamics anyway.
Yes, I'd have to take them off. So what's the point in having them anyway? Slightly better mileage for the sunbelt drivers at the cost of being seriously ugly? No thanks.

Don't ask ... :cool:

Model-3.jpg
When someone asked Elon Musk a question and referenced the "Model III", Elon replied with:

8z47ePnq_bigger.jpgElon Musk@elonmusk 15 Aug 2014
@awadsayeed Yes. Technically Model 3 or maybe three horizontal bars. Won't be three vertical bars.

That's when the forums started erupting with people writing it as "Model ≡" instead, similar to the "E" in the T≡SLA logo.

- - - Updated - - -

My record for a single storm over the last three decades is 64 cm last February (took me ten hours over two days to shovel my driveway).
And that, Sir, is why God invented snow blowers!

When someone asked Elon Musk a question and referenced the "Model III", Elon replied with:

8z47ePnq_bigger.jpgElon Musk@elonmusk 15 Aug 2014
@awadsayeed Yes. Technically Model 3 or maybe three horizontal bars. Won't be three vertical bars.

That's when the forums started erupting with people writing it as "Model ≡" instead, similar to the "E" in the T≡SLA logo.

- - - Updated - - -

And that, Sir, is why God invented snow blowers!
How do you do the three bars horizontally?