Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Audi A5 Sportback is not available in the USA, but if it was, it looks like it would compete with the Model S in style.
Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 2.45.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 2.45.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 2.47.01 PM.png

Please be a hatch, please be a hatch...

(like the Model S, not like the Bolt/Honda Fit/etc)

DON'T WORRY! It has to be a hatch just like the Model S and X just for aerodynamic considerations. Thankfully this design happens to look nice too. At this point I would venture out on a limb and say it's part of Tesla's design language.

- - - Updated - - -

Cute little car... I wonder what it'll look like when it grows up! :biggrin:

I was going to say a Prius, not a mini-Sprinter van, but whatever. :smile:

By the end of March the Model 3 will still be at the high left conceptual stage, prototype drawings are at least a year off. Don't expect any more than high level concept drawing.

Highly unlikely. Tesla has been actively working on the Gen III platform for Model 3 since 2012 (I read an article a long time ago where both Elon and JB were quoted saying as much). They were already working on clay models over 12 months ago, as part of a design finalization phase. I feel they have had enough time to build at least one pre-alpha prototype by now, just to drive out onto the stage.

But again, on second thoughts, I can't help but cross my fingers when typing this. Sigh! We will know one way or another in a month.

View attachment 112938

That is the direct competitor to Model ☰. The BMW 335i Gran Turismo -- sportback/liftback trunk, and very similar external dimensions to what Model will most probably have. Can someone superimpose a Model X front and Model S body on this?

Someone already has.
model-3-sketch-render.jpg

However, I think the Model will be just a tad smaller. It will probably have an approximately ~2 inches shorter wheelbase as the 3 Series gt has a wheelbase that is only 1.5 inches shorter than the Model S.

By the end of March the Model 3 will still be at the high left conceptual stage, prototype drawings are at least a year off. Don't expect any more than high level concept drawing.
The chances of the reveal just being prototype drawings are about as much as Elon broadcasting the release from Mars :biggrin:
Much more likely that it will be a very early prototype just as they did with Model S and X that may change slightly from production.
One or two exterior detail changes maybe but with a demonstration level interior that will change a lot - just like they did with S & X.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 112938

That is the direct competitor to Model ☰. The BMW 335i Gran Turismo -- sportback/liftback trunk, and very similar external dimensions to what Model will most probably have. Can someone superimpose a Model X front and Model S body on this?
I do like the styling of modern BMW's and this looks pretty good.
I was looking at those ugly door handles and wondering about the air flow and lack of efficiency - then I remembered that the underside of the car is an aerodynamic nightmare anyway so door handles would be the least of their worries :)

The chances of the reveal just being prototype drawings are about as much as Elon broadcasting the release from Mars :biggrin:
Much more likely that it will be a very early prototype just as they did with Model S and X that may change slightly from production.
One or two exterior detail changes maybe but with a demonstration level interior that will change a lot - just like they did with S & X.
I 100% agree with this. There is absolutely no way they aren't as least very close to the final design, and not a snowballs chance in Hades that they would do a reveal of just conceptual drawings. Tesla has been working on the Model 3 for a few years now -- they pretty much know what it'll look like. My guess is that they'll drive a prototype out onto the stage, in fact.

Elon has said he isn't sure if they will or keep their cards close. My thought was that meant we had too options. A rolling pre tooling alpha prototype. Or the skateboard showing motors and pack possible with seats and no other design cues other thing artist renditions. Just showing off the architecture of the next gen models.

Their will be substance if they are taking deposits but you might not see "the car"

Someone already has. View attachment 112944

However, I think the Model will be just a tad smaller. It will probably have an approximately ~2 inches shorter wheelbase as the 3 Series gt has a wheelbase that is only 1.5 inches shorter than the Model S.

I totally missed that. Thanks :)

I thought JB claimed the Model would be similar in size to the Audi A4. The A4 is slightly larger than the 335i GT in length and width. If you calculate the total volume of the 335iGT, it comes out to about 85% of Model S volume. Almost the same size as Model if you assume a literal 20% reduction in size.

I do like the styling of modern BMW's and this looks pretty good.
I was looking at those ugly door handles and wondering about the air flow and lack of efficiency - then I remembered that the underside of the car is an aerodynamic nightmare anyway so door handles would be the least of their worries :)

BMW design philosophy has always had one drawback. They go obsolete pretty quick. I mean, you hardly ever see a timeless classic from BMW, from a purely design perspective. It's almost as if their designs come with an expiration date. :tongue:

This has to hit the sales of the S pretty hard if you ask me. Even make it obsolete. Unless they bring out a revamped S with facelift and new features the 3 wont have.
Maybe they're trying to get people who would have stretched for a Model S (i.e. the former Camry owners with means who love the idea but really struggle with the psychological implications of spending that much) to stretch instead for two Model 3. Certainly helps the overall mission of the company...

This has to hit the sales of the S pretty hard if you ask me. Even make it obsolete. Unless they bring out a revamped S with facelift and new features the 3 wont have.

BMW 3 series cars come with pretty much the same features and options as their 5-series cars. In fact, the 3-series cars are faster than their 5-series counterparts. There still has been a healthy demand for the 5-series, purely because it offers more cabin and trunk volume. It is just more spacious, and is also more luxurious in fit & finish. That does mean a lot to some.

Talked with a Tesla employee today and he says he has seen a picture of the prototype. The front end looks like the model x and the backend looks like the model S. (similar but not exact copies) Its smaller than the S, but in a pic it appears to be about the size of an S.