Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm torn apart tonight. As my first post here I have to show you the picture I stumbled accros on my linkedin, just right now.
I cannot say if it is a very nicely done rendering or the real deal, but it looks like the f.. real deal ! (and it doesn't look like a S, nor a X.)
model3 bis.png

Can any of you confirm or unconfirm it ?

The text with the post is saying, I quote :
Tesla's Model III goes 320km per charge and costs $35,000 This is the one we've been waiting for. I think we're going to try to do something more radical," says Elon Musk, creator of Tesla Motors, whose charging stations will power your Tesla for free, forever. This one, the Model III could be available in 2017, but more likely the middle or end of 2018. It's 20% lighter than the Model S and much cheaper."

Thanks

Weel it was too good to be true.
It seems I've been mislead after some more digging.

This is an early S model. Sorry folks.

My bad...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tesla_Model_S_Indoors_trimmed.jpg

No worries. I'm with some of the earlier commenters; I fully expect the Model 3 to use the X's nosecone, not the S's. Hmm, that makes me wonder, though...will they upgrade the Model S P100D's nosecone, so that on March 31st, they have all 3 models with the same nosecones?

That looks generally OK to me, except for the front. That front looks really unaerodynamic to me, more like a brick than something cutting through air. Believe me, I know what it's like driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. I used to drive an '81 Toyota Land Cruiser. Driving that thing on the highway...

Are you going to line up in Calgary/Vancouver for march 31st MODEL 3 booking

Are you going to line up in Calgary/Vancouver for march 31st MODEL 3 booking
No. It would be an over 12 hour round trip. I've been taking an evening class, and I have a class that night. So it's online booking for me. I might stay up past 1am to get in on the midnight Pacific time. Assuming reservations start at midnight Pacific time.

I think it will look something like this:
View attachment 113994
But with a pointy nose for drag coefficient
and suicide doors to save space.

As it doesn't look like a poop-mobile i'll be happy.

This one is sooooo ugly and weird, the only thing I lose is the front which is a MS with MX nose cone copy.But the rest of the car is UUUUGLYYY, disproportional, cheap loooking.It makes me vomit
The M3 will definetly NOT LOOK THIS UGLY FUGLY

Looking at your link, this looks more like a $32K Tesla than anything I've seen yet. I PRAY it looks even remotely close.

View attachment 113749

I like the look of this too but didn't Elon state it wouldn't look like other cars? Not sure what he meant by that but could mean the nose cone is a departure (X looks a bit strange) and maybe Coach (Suicide) doors. Maybe X style windscreen although Citroen did that first. Hmmm, can't wait.

I like the look of this too but didn't Elon state it wouldn't look like other cars? Not sure what he meant by that but could mean the nose cone is a departure (X looks a bit strange) and maybe Coach (Suicide) doors. Maybe X style windscreen although Citroen did that first. Hmmm, can't wait.

He did state it will look like no other car on the road which has my praises and my worries. For one, it won't look like a BMW i3 or a Scion iQ, but on the other hand it may not look like the render in the pic because that is VERY close to an S. However, the "insider" info stated it DOES look like an S so I'm simply just going to wait and see. At this point there's so much excitement and guessing that no one knows what to think any more. Just like everyone, I just hope it's not an abomination of a designer's mad brain on a day there was no coffee in the pot.

Agree -- very unattractive rendering!

As for suicide doors -- I just can't understand why so many people think the Model 3 will have them? They're a pain to deal with, and most people won't buy a car with them. Nope, not gonna happen on a Tesla. Ever! Too classy a vehicle to ever go that route.

He did state it will look like no other car on the road which has my praises and my worries. For one, it won't look like a BMW i3 or a Scion iQ, but on the other hand it may not look like the render in the pic because that is VERY close to an S. However, the "insider" info stated it DOES look like an S so I'm simply just going to wait and see.

To me it looks like they have had several design they was working on, and that Elon early was voting for an unconventional design. Later (about a year ago) it seems like they changed their minds and said "GO" on a more conventional/traditional design (probably looking more like the Model S). The statements about "will look like no other car on the road" was made before this potential change of mind, and not been repeated afterwards.

To me it looks like they have had several design they was working on, and that Elon early was voting for an unconventional design. Later (about a year ago) it seems like they changed their minds and said "GO" on a more conventional/traditional design (probably looking more like the Model S). The statements about "will look like no other car on the road" was made before this potential change of mind, and not been repeated afterwards.

Do you have any quotes that support this? Just wondering because I'm in the mainstream look camp. Although feel there will be no grill or door handles as those are the steps they have been taking. But I have not heard anything suggesting that they changed their mind on "looking like nothing else on the road". The Model X today looks like nothing else on the road. The model S always looked similar to a very popular Jaguar.

Elon or Van stated awhile ago it takes steps to draw people from iconic ICE features like the grill. That's why they had to place a false one on the S and then shaved that back greatly on the X. I see nothing that supports their plan to stall Tesla design at this stage.

As for suicide doors -- I just can't understand why so many people think the Model 3 will have them? They're a pain to deal with, and most people won't buy a car with them. Nope, not gonna happen on a Tesla. Ever! Too classy a vehicle to ever go that route.

Agreed. However, many people seem to think that suicide doors (or falcon doors for that matter) would be somehow "the thing" for the Model 3 - could you people elaborate what do you consider the benefits of them compared to traditional doors? Other than "they are so cool" which is an opinion matter?

I just don't see (enough) added benefits compared to the drawbacks.