Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. However, many people seem to think that suicide doors (or falcon doors for that matter) would be somehow "the thing" for the Model 3 - could you people elaborate what do you consider the benefits of them compared to traditional doors? Other than "they are so cool" which is an opinion matter?

I just don't see (enough) added benefits compared to the drawbacks.

Ease of access with a lower roof line. When the Falcon wing doors are open the roof line is removed while embarking and disembarking the passenger cabin. This allows a much lower roof line (frontal area for drag) and ease of entry. Also the door can open in tight areas where as a swinging door opening is limited by the doors length. The longer the door the less of an opening arc.

Also the Model X has demonstrated rain protection as an added benefit. Your sheltered in the case of vertical rain and when loading small children or cargo this is a huge benefit only before received by rear hatches on mini vans and suv's.

Also one Falcon wing door is simpler then two automated swinging doors, less drag potential and lease sealing for road noise. Tesla payed for the R&D with Model X sales to make production of the feature cheaper in the future.

Will the Model 3 have them? Probably not but I hope so. Will the next Gen 3 car have them? Probably.

Thanks for a reasonable answer, sometimes those seem hard to get.

Ease of access with a lower roof line. When the Falcon wing doors are open the roof line is removed while embarking and disembarking the passenger cabin. This allows a much lower roof line (frontal area for drag) and ease of entry.

I can get down with that on a SUV like the X, I'm not sure will you get the same benefit (i.e., as much of a benefit) in a sedan that isn't as tall as a SUV.

Also the door can open in tight areas where as a swinging door opening is limited by the doors length. The longer the door the less of an opening arc.

Maybe I'm too skeptical but I always see the cars being parked too close to each other for one to manage to squeeze oneself in the space. Maybe I just need to lose weight ;)

Also the Model X has demonstrated rain protection as an added benefit. Your sheltered in the case of vertical rain and when loading small children or cargo this is a huge benefit only before received by rear hatches on mini vans and suv's.

Fair enough.

Also one Falcon wing door is simpler then two automated swinging doors, less drag potential and lease sealing for road noise. Tesla payed for the R&D with Model X sales to make production of the feature cheaper in the future.

I'm skeptical that the model 3 will have automated swinging doors and first impression would be that is it really that much simpler, it seems like a quite complex beast? But then again, it's also true that the R&D has already been done so *shrugs*

Will the Model 3 have them? Probably not but I hope so. Will the next Gen 3 car have them? Probably.

Agreed on the next gen 3 car part. As for hoping for them.. well I'm hoping we both can get a car that will satisfy our needs :p

Do you have any quotes that support this?

No, this is just my speculation. But here you can hear him talking about that discussion, but this is while he still was taking about a more radical design. Later we have this:
http://www.rgj.com/story/money/busi...less-adventurous-model-technobubble/23301929/
Elon Musk: First Model 3 cars will be less 'adventurous' than Model X
When it comes to the upcoming Model 3, however, the Tesla Motors CEO plans to dial things down just a skosh.

"We got quite adventurous with the (Model) X," Musk said during a financial call on Wednesday. "We won't go super crazy with the design of the initial version of the (Model) 3."

And after this I have not heard anything more about "will look like no other car on the road" or anything like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon tweeted about that one of Model 3 and Model Y would get them, later to say he obviously was talking about the Model Y. Model Y is supposed to be the next Gen-III car - a SUV/CUV type.

I think it is going to look very similar to the Maserati Ghibli with Tesla elements to it of course.

260_main_l.jpg

260_p2_l.jpg

f231add7b1ab2bacd066f2967daaed33x.jpg

I'm skeptical that the model 3 will have automated swinging doors and first impression would be that is it really that much simpler, it seems like a quite complex beast? But then again, it's also true that the R&D has already been done

Mechanically speaking there is a lot less involved in the automated presenting doors than traditional doors. You just have an electrical servo, an electrical latch and a sonar sensor. In a mechanical system you have door handles that need reinforcements structurally, linkages for both handles. And a lock system. Not to mention the whole door now needs to be designed around giving these systems space along with the window glass and mechanism aswell as side impact reinforcement.

In the automated system the only thing in that space is a latch that's need to be there anyway. And very small room for the sensor. The servo can be incorporated either in the hinge or in the body. And these components just very little to manufacture as they are already being used in the model X and other non tesla vehicles.

Look how many peoples first comments on the interior of the Model X was how much door storage there was.

Mechanically speaking there is a lot less involved in the automated presenting doors than traditional doors. You just have an electrical servo, an electrical latch and a sonar sensor. In a mechanical system you have door handles that need reinforcements structurally, linkages for both handles. And a lock system. Not to mention the whole door now needs to be designed around giving these systems space along with the window glass and mechanism aswell as side impact reinforcement.

In the automated system the only thing in that space is a latch that's need to be there anyway. And very small room for the sensor. The servo can be incorporated either in the hinge or in the body. And these components just very little to manufacture as they are already being used in the model X and other non tesla vehicles.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The falcon doors really aren't any more complicated than a traditional door, they're just different. Each version has it's own benefits/drawbacks, cost, construction and design but the bottom-line difference isn't going to be as big as most perceive it to be.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The falcon doors really aren't any more complicated than a traditional door, they're just different.

No, they are definitely more complicated than a traditional door, requiring powered actuators, sensors, two sets of hinges, and apparently seals which are very difficult to get right. You won't be seeing them on the Model 3, and I'm glad of that. On the Y, maybe, and that's fine.

Hey everyone, new to the site. Been reading up on posts over the last week or so. Had an epiphany about my car-driving future about two weeks ago. I wouldn't consider myself to be in the market for a new car, but 18 months from now, I may certainly have considered moving on from my Hyundai Sonata that'll be well over 100,000 miles by then. I've read up on just about everything there is to know (obviously not much yet, officially) on the Model 3, I test-drove a Model S this past weekend, and just this morning I got clearance from my bosses to come in late on March 31. I'll be in line early to put my deposit down for the Model 3.

After driving the Model S, if you told me it was the exact same car as my Sonata but could drive itself the way the Model S is ALREADY capable of, I'd tell you it was worth the $40K+ price difference, so when you throw in all the other advantages, there's no way I'm ever buying another car. Living in LA, I'm motivated every day to reduce my carbon footprint, and in the last two weeks, I've come to pity the millions of people around me who spend $60k-100k on these gas-guzzling high-end cars. What a waste of money. Not to mention the time to act toward saving our planet was yesterday, so I can't make the switch soon enough.

Having seen quite a few mock-ups for the Model 3 thus far, and having heard it compared to a smaller Model S, I'm more than happy to put my money down sight-unseen, especially considering it's fully refundable. The chance at a significant tax incentive is motivation enough for me to stand in line on March 31. I'm also the guy who's up at midnight to pre-order every new iPhone, so the sooner I can get my hands on this car, the better.

Thanks to all the active members on here who have informed my admittedly fast-tracked transition into the Tesla customer base. Having never seen a Tesla before I moved to LA two years ago, I haven't spent long considering one for myself, but I'm looking forward to capitalizing on what appears to be the most perfect of storms. Looking forward to being part of the conversation going forward.

Reactions: MrBoylan
No, this is just my speculation. But here you can hear him talking about that discussion, but this is while he still was taking about a more radical design. Later we have this:
http://www.rgj.com/story/money/busi...less-adventurous-model-technobubble/23301929/

And after this I have not heard anything more about "will look like no other car on the road" or anything like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon tweeted about that one of Model 3 and Model Y would get them, later to say he obviously was talking about the Model Y. Model Y is supposed to be the next Gen-III car - a SUV/CUV type.

A lot about Model 3 that Elon said was before the whole Model X falcon wing door design fiasco that is currently under litigation and led to the last delay. I'm sure they learned a bitter lesson from that and they're doing everything they can to keep it simple and manufacturable in order to meet their stated production schedule of late next year.

After driving the Model S, if you told me it was the exact same car as my Sonata but could drive itself the way the Model S is ALREADY capable of, I'd tell you it was worth the $40K+ price difference
Welcome :smile: Not that I've been here long at all myself but I sure do love my ride.

I had to wait only a few months once I determined I could make mine work, before that I had just pretended the whole Tesla thing didn't exist :tongue: so I don't envy your wait ahead esp. if there are any delays #whataretheodds ;)

And right there shows exactly why Elon was right about Falcon wing doors

The difference here is that Tesla doesn't show concepts, they show what will make it to production. As cool as that BMW concept is, it will never see the light of day.

"Really hate it when companies bring out an awesome show car and then you can never actually buy it. So lame." Elon Musk. Nov 19 2014

Prosecutor: Your Honor, may I approach the bench?

Judge: You may.

Prosecutor: [Hands photographs to judge] People's Exhibit A, your Honor.

Judge: [Grimacing] Good heavens, counselor. What is that?

Prosecutor: Weirdmobile, your Honor. Weirdmobile.

Judge: Well get it out of my courtroom. I'll have none of that in here.