Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web reservations given priority over line standers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a couple more reports in other threads from people who ordered online getting invites today (12/14). I'm perplexed why Tesla isn't just going in chronological order. Why invite online orders before you're done with in-store owners who put money down hours before?

Reactions: MountainRoad
There have been a couple more reports in other threads from people who ordered online getting invites today (12/14). I'm perplexed why Tesla isn't just going in chronological order. Why invite online orders before you're done with in-store owners who put money down hours before?
Who knows. Maybe they're going chronologically... within each piece of database that's spread across multiple servers. Maybe they're going reverse alphabetically for owners that reserved anywhere on the first day. Maybe they're going by which options (specific options? total option price?) of your previously owned Tesla. Maybe it's just completely random given a certain set of qualifying factors (CA, first day reservation, owner). Maybe each of these things are given a certain weight. Maybe they think they can deliver X cars to Southern California by the end of the year, so they gave out that many invitations, and as we get closer to the end of the year, more will go to Northern California where there's zero shipping time. Who knows. Could be any of the above. Could be different rules for each batch of reservations. But I assure, there are some sort of rules, even if the outside-looking-in result is "haphazard". Also remember that we get a very very small sampling of the data on these forums for both the invitations set, and the overall reservation holders set. Probably not big enough to draw conclusions on what the full data set _actually_ looks like.

Reactions: Colasec
I got my invite to configure about 3 weeks ago, having been a current CA owner and 7th in line on that fateful day.

This in spite of having responded to a previous email received in the last 6 weeks-ish and selecting AWD as a preference.

I again selected AWD 3 weeks ago.

Logged into MyTesla (newly named something I forget) last night. Was invited a 3rd time to configure. Again selected AWD. Which is to say late Q2/early Q3 2018. “Hold my place in line” it said - which is just not an accurate portrayal of what would happen but that’s another matter. Perhaps they mean that when and if I decide to move forward, I’ll get slotted into the production queue at that time,

That probably is intended to supersede the verbiage in the reservation paperwork about being able to defer one time for 6 months.

In any case, this should give them plenty of time to follow through with the “something special” for line waiters that was specifically tweeted by Elon and was wholly separate from the artwork for reservation holders that some received.

Am strongly leaning toward a CPO AP1 car for the next 2-3 years both to get out of this AP2 car that’s proven to be a disappointment this past year especially relative to AP1, and to give the Model 3 time to improve. A lot of exciting things are coming (including but not limited to: interior refresh, more range, AP2.5 —-> AP4). So buying a new one in 2021 sounds like a good plan while driving a CPO AP1 car in the meantime.

Reactions: israndy
It does seem to be the case that some online reservers are getting config invites before line waiters, assuming all else is equal.

I am an owner since 2013, I stood in line on 3/31, I live in Southern California, I have first production selected on my delivery estimator, and I have not received an invite to configure.

• Informative
Reactions: MountainRoad
I guess I should not look again for at least 18 months as I have just place my order for the trouble n strife and I live on the East Coast.
I am however on my 2nd Model S

I read current owners will get a bump in the que does the fact if you have owned more than one give you preference over people who own one and how will I know if the "owner" scenario is being applied to my order.

Maybe the two on line orders were early Tesla owners versus the line stander?
Not... I (Robert of Talking Tesla) owned my first Model S since June, 19 2013 having placed a deposit earlier in 2012, the earliest of all 3 of us on the show. I'm not upset, I'm still a fan of Elon & the Tesla team because I'm driving on SolarPower (when not Supercharging) & am delighted that others stuck in ICE cars are going to get their Model 3's and reduce their carbon footprint (and hopefully use solar PV +/- Powerwall). For the record Tom, Mel and I live in LA, had at least one reserved Model 3 as "First Production" and enjoy Solar City PV installations (Tom & Mel had theirs installed before mine). I seek to understand the pattern that's emerging because I'm concerned it injures Tesla's trustworthiness. I look forward to following the discussion. Thanks Mountainroad for starting the thread.

Not... I (Robert of Talking Tesla) owned my first Model S since June, 19 2013 having placed a deposit earlier in 2012, the earliest of all 3 of us on the show. I'm not upset, I'm still a fan of Elon & the Tesla team because I'm driving on SolarPower (when not Supercharging) & am delighted that others stuck in ICE cars are going to get their Model 3's and reduce their carbon footprint (and hopefully use solar PV +/- Powerwall). For the record Tom, Mel and I live in LA, had at least one reserved Model 3 as "First Production" and enjoy Solar City PV installations (Tom & Mel had theirs installed before mine). I seek to understand the pattern that's emerging because I'm concerned it injures Tesla's trustworthiness. I look forward to following the discussion. Thanks Mountainroad for starting the thread.
Thanks, Robert! I agree that this could undermine Tesla’s trustworthiness, but I also continue to be a huge fan of Tesla and Elon. Every day I drive my Model S instead of an ICE vehicle is a better day for it. I just want them to get this right, especially when it comes to delivering Model 3 to folks who are not already Tesla owners.

Keep up the great work on Talking Tesla! And let us know when you finally get your invitation to configure a Model 3.