Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I had a solution as well after 30+ pages of reading but sounds like Papa Elon is going to have to prioritize this one through software patch. Did notice that these last couple of weeks here in MD at least has been much cooler (mid 50s compared to 85F) and it would seem the buzzing sound is significantly quieter than during the hot days. As we all continue to speculate which "part" this could be emanating from it would lend more credibility to something cooling and or heat pump related vs. just the high voltage or battery system in general. Is anyone else able to correlate my findings with their own? Specifically -> lower outdoor ambient temperatures = less audible buzzing? To be clear, the buzzy whine is still there and thanks to "Golden Ears" training I know the frequency of whine remains the same. Just the amplitude (dB) seems quieter with cooler weather thus far.
No noticeable difference here is southeastern PA.

thanks to "Golden Ears" training I know the frequency of whine remains the same. Just the amplitude (dB) seems quieter with cooler weather thus far.
Hello fellow sound mixer! It's been a long time since I've heard (heh) of someone mentioning Golden Ears! What part of the industry do you work in? I'm Gator Audio, production sound mixer for film and TV.

Reactions: BuckminsterS
I noticed this noise immediately after driving my Model X Plaid back from the busy side of the highway where Tesla delivered it to me to my garage. It sounds like a high pitch dial tone. I live in a newer house with great insulation, but the ringing can be heard above the garage in bedrooms and in the hallway outside the garage. Even standing the yard outside the garage. I can hear my car in the parking lot of the grocery store sometimes before I even see it. I've had two model S' since 2017 and I've put a 100k miles on those two, I also have several family members with Teslas and I've had loaners .... none of these cars make this noise. This noise is not okay. Especially considering the price point and the history of these cars not having the issue. Here's a link from this evening. I think it may be getting louder. It's definitely a "refresh" issue -

Please fix Elon! I don't want my EV to be louder than a gas car when it's parked and off or driving around town. Help.

2018 75D / 2022 Model X Plaid = both Multicoat Red.

Reactions: GrnSqrl
If 2022.28.1 Started to really roll out in early September, does it stand to reason that the 2022.32 branch would have been early October based on release schedule, pushing 2022.36 closer to early November?
I do not think there will be a 2022.32, only one we see so far (not officially releases yet) is 2022.36 Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates

per the release history of releasing a version after announcement (check the list above of each old version and noticed the 1-2 week delay between announcement and initial release with the .1 sub version), it should be released this week but it could run late due to AI day

One more charge since last update and trend still down (someone reported it fluctuate per charge up and down so i would love to see screenshot of the trend from whatever App is being used)

Attachments

• 331F4E84-A3D6-416B-8984-50D56029E112.png
    331F4E84-A3D6-416B-8984-50D56029E112.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 168620E6-B1AC-43EC-BC32-10439F79FB0F.png
    168620E6-B1AC-43EC-BC32-10439F79FB0F.png
    239 KB · Views: 37
Everyday I check this page for updates, reminds me when I was waiting for my car. LoL :rolleyes:
It's funny you mention that. I was very active in the "Model X Refresh Waiting Room" thread from July 2021 (when I ordered my Model X) until last week when it finally arrived, 453 days later. I had that page bookmarked and would check in every day looking for clues as to when I might get mine. The day after I got mine I retired from that thread and deleted the bookmark on my browser.

Now we're a week later and I have this thread bookmarked on my browser and I visit it daily 😪

It's funny you mention that. I was very active in the "Model X Refresh Waiting Room" thread from July 2021 (when I ordered my Model X) until last week when it finally arrived, 453 days later. I had that page bookmarked and would check in every day looking for clues as to when I might get mine. The day after I got mine I retired from that thread and deleted the bookmark on my browser.

Now we're a week later and I have this thread bookmarked on my browser and I visit it daily 😪
I'm happy I'm not alone 😅

I noticed this noise immediately after driving my Model X Plaid back from the busy side of the highway where Tesla delivered it to me to my garage. It sounds like a high pitch dial tone. I live in a newer house with great insulation, but the ringing can be heard above the garage in bedrooms and in the hallway outside the garage. Even standing the yard outside the garage. I can hear my car in the parking lot of the grocery store sometimes before I even see it. I've had two model S' since 2017 and I've put a 100k miles on those two, I also have several family members with Teslas and I've had loaners .... none of these cars make this noise. This noise is not okay. Especially considering the price point and the history of these cars not having the issue. Here's a link from this evening. I think it may be getting louder. It's definitely a "refresh" issue -

Please fix Elon! I don't want my EV to be louder than a gas car when it's parked and off or driving around town. Help.

2018 75D / 2022 Model X Plaid = both Multicoat Red.
Please write to your service tech, and or on Twitter for awareness.

Hello fellow sound mixer! It's been a long time since I've heard (heh) of someone mentioning Golden Ears! What part of the industry do you work in? I'm Gator Audio, production sound mixer for film and TV.
Good catch on the reference! It has been ages since that CD was around. I'm not actively involved in industry at moment but was up in Vancouver, BC for some years doing some student film work and foley magic. Sound design for film and video has always remained a passion I'd love to revisit at some point. Not much of a thriving industry here in MD though. So much can be done in post production remotely now though... So I'm really just making excuses 😉

No noticeable difference here is southeastern PA.
To add a note, now that we're in "heating weather" the mysterious tones are back with a vengeance. Those few days when no heating or cooling was active the noise was better. Could further point to heat pump related voltage or temperature regulation. Frankly surprised no one's hooked any diagnostics up to CAN bus under the wireless charging pad to see if anything useful could be pulled. Where's GreenTheOnly when you need him!

Probably good. That’s week 20, of course - FSD build. As for 2022.36.x, not seeing anybody on TeslaFi with it so likely an employee.
Yup. It should be an older base software. Hopefully someone hasn't merged the bug into the fsd build.

Fun bug in the current fsd build... The interior lights are off when you are in the car and on when you get out. They managed to bring back an old bug from years ago. Throwback bug!

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve