Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird ChargePoint Electrical Inspection in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In hopes of getting reduced rates from PSE&G, I ordered and had installed a Charge Point CPH50 EVSE in my garage.

The OEM instructions require a licensed electrician to do the install and I had one do it. It required removal of an existing inspected and approved receptacle and replacement with a hard wired connection.

The only line that could be dedicated for the install was the 20A line that I was using with a plug in 240V/16A EVSE that could not get the reduced rate. The OEM manual had this on an installation menu of choices and required hard wiring. That was done, it was configured and tested out OK.

So today I had the scheduled inspection....................

Weird. Inspector and I just went thru it. He says because it CAN take 50A, it has to be run on a 50A breakered line. Because someone COULD just throw in a 50A breaker on #12 NMB and blah, blah, blah...................

This despite the OEM instructions on how to configure it for a 20A breaker and that it has to be configured for the size of breaker on the line, and per the instructions that it is now configured for a 20A breaker. Additionally, the NEC requires you to follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.............

He is now confused and says he has to call NJ DCA. He probably deals with folks who want the max amps possible and has never run into someone who doesn't want that.

I wrote to Charge Point about this and am awaiting their, and his reply.

Has anybody in NJ ever run into something like this??

He is an idiot. You did everything correctly and hopefully his supervisor will set him straight. It isn’t uncommon for people to use EVSEs on smaller circuits given that all hardwired EVSEs have mechanisms to set maximum circuit sizes.

This isnt the first we have heard of this, though. We saw some threads here with inspectors saying Gen 3 Tesla wall connectors had to be run on their max connection (60amp circuit) because they were not buying the "login and change the setting" interface. I dont remember where those threads are now but I remember at least a few like that.

Reactions: Rocky_H
At least he's checking. A lot of inspectors will just make a pronouncement and you're stuck. Definitely get Chargepoint involved. If anyone at the inspector's office has to be convinced, a major equipment supplier is much more likely to have the expertise and gravitas to do the convincing.

In hopes of getting reduced rates from PSE&G, I ordered and had installed a Charge Point CPH50 EVSE in my garage.

The OEM instructions require a licensed electrician to do the install and I had one do it. It required removal of an existing inspected and approved receptacle and replacement with a hard wired connection.

The only line that could be dedicated for the install was the 20A line that I was using with a plug in 240V/16A EVSE that could not get the reduced rate. The OEM manual had this on an installation menu of choices and required hard wiring. That was done, it was configured and tested out OK.

So today I had the scheduled inspection....................

Weird. Inspector and I just went thru it. He says because it CAN take 50A, it has to be run on a 50A breakered line. Because someone COULD just throw in a 50A breaker on #12 NMB and blah, blah, blah...................

This despite the OEM instructions on how to configure it for a 20A breaker and that it has to be configured for the size of breaker on the line, and per the instructions that it is now configured for a 20A breaker. Additionally, the NEC requires you to follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.............

He is now confused and says he has to call NJ DCA. He probably deals with folks who want the max amps possible and has never run into someone who doesn't want that.

I wrote to Charge Point about this and am awaiting their, and his reply.

Has anybody in NJ ever run into something like this??
Don't take offense but FWIW in my opinion anyone that purchases an EV should have 200 amp service with a dedicated 60 amp breaker and a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I disagree.
Same opinion. I have a 60 amp Tesla Wall Connector in a town home with 100 amp service.

I do have a Sense energy monitor and even when purposely trying to overload the house (electric garage heater, dryer, car charging, hvac on, etc), have only gotten close to 100 amps in my home. Sure I would like more, but with the size of my home, its really not needed.

Don't take offense but FWIW in my opinion anyone that purchases an EV should have 200 amp service with a dedicated 60 amp breaker and a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger.
Where I live, the average commute (pre-Covid) was 30 miles per day. Since so many work from home a day or two here and there, the average commute could be a little bit less than 30 miles per day now. A 20 amp circuit at 208v or 240v that will charge at 16 amps continuously is perfectly fine for most EV owners.

Sure, there are people that have longer commutes or there may be times when you may want to charge faster (for whatever reason). Those drivers can pay whatever the extra cost would be to get that faster charging circuit (if their panel has the excess capacity). But to wholesale upgrade to a 200 amp panel so you can install or upgrade the EV charging circuit to 60 amps is an expense that many people don't really need to take on.

given that all hardwired EVSEs have mechanisms to set maximum circuit sizes.
There are a few that do, but most don't. Most of the ones I've seen you just select the model by what level of circuit it's for and that's what it does, and it isn't configurable for other levels.

in my opinion anyone that purchases an EV should have 200 amp service with a dedicated 60 amp breaker and a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger.
Even EVs that only have a 32A onboard charger? Or even a non-Tesla car that has a port that doesn't fit the Tesla wall connector's plug? Jeez, that is a ridiculous absolute assertion on multiple levels.