Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that really sucks, sorry about your misfortune. Last vehicle I sold (motorcycle actually) I went with the buyer to a licensing agency here in WA State and did the transfer with us both present. Doing an exchange in front of a police station or DMV isn't really going to solve this type of fraud unless the seller chickens out due to some perceived heightened risk.

Reactions: jwb2781 and nate704
Sorry to hear about this happening and hope authorities put some effort into finding the guy.

When I sold my Model S to AutoNation, I showed them proof that I unlinked the car from my Tesla account. OP, I don’t blame you for not knowing in advance but hopefully this helps future buyers. For future buyers, have the seller prove they actually have access to the car through the app and not just with the keycard (3/Y) or keyfob (S/X). The price did seem too good to be true but I suppose it’s good the scammer didn’t receive an even higher payment. Hoping that karma sets things right for you in life, and ditto for the fraudster.

Wow that really sucks, sorry about your misfortune. Last vehicle I sold (motorcycle actually) I went with the buyer to a licensing agency here in WA State and did the transfer with us both present. Doing an exchange in front of a police station or DMV isn't really going to solve this type of fraud unless the seller chickens out due to some perceived heightened risk.
That's what I meant by DOL, going in and putting it in your name to make sure everything transfers...which I have done on a few vehicles...but in CA, I didn't think I could as I am out of state....but either way...next tesla is going to be BRAND NEW....I have had my order for over a month...just have to be patient...and save up....as the money I spent was pretty much all I had....so, here's hoping I get my cashiers check money back.

Reactions: Corndart
Wow, so sorry for your misfortune and thanks for sharing the info. I think the morale for me is never pay by cash. I think the guy probably would have turned down the deal if you had proposed to pay the entire amount by cashier check.
Doing the transfer at the DMV in this case as OP stated would have either caused the fraudster to bail out, or uncovered the scheme on the spot. The payment method was somewhat orthogonal.

I will say this: Tesla's autopilot system works better then most humans....when we were driving up through the mountains, and there was fog....the autopilot kept us in the lane doing close to 70 mph...where I would not be able to...so I am a believer in the future of autopilot. Can't wait for the bugs to get fix...as I also had some phantom braking happen....which was no good...1 time when a car was coming on to merge. My old tesla was a 2012 model S, so it didn't have the tech the new ones have...but at this point I miss my Model S....but look forward to my next Tesla.

Reactions: WADan
I rented a Model 3 from Turo and the Supercharger charges were charged to the owner - not me. The car had no attachment to my Tesla account (which had no vehicles associated yet either)
So how the 'pretending' owner was driving this car?
Was he only using a Tesla key card?

Don't he shown you that he was able to access 'his' car with his Tesla phone App?
If not, this would have been a concern to me.

How did you plan to drive back this car to your home?
And what explanation did he provided for your charging.

Did you assume that the 'pretending' owner was going to sponsor your supercharger trip back?
I assume that when selling a car, the owner will immediately close the Tesla Account associated with it,
making it impossible to use a supercharger.

Did you also contact your insurance in advance to be able to dive the car?
If so, did you provide the VIN and previous owner information?

So how the 'pretending' owner was driving this car?
Was he only using a Tesla key card?

Don't he shown you that he was able to access 'his' car with his Tesla phone App?
If not, this would have been a concern to me.

How did you plan to drive back this car to your home?
And what explanation did he provided for your charging.

Did you assume that the 'pretending' owner was going to sponsor your supercharger trip back?
I assume that when selling a car, the owner will immediately close the Tesla Account associated with it,
making it impossible to use a supercharger.

Did you also contact your insurance in advance to be able to dive the car?
If so, did you provide the VIN and previous owner information?
It was a rental, so obviously using a key card.

Reactions: voxel
I paid $30K with cashiers check which has been marked fraud, and so far has not been cashed. I have to wait a couple months to get the money back. As for the $18K cash...I am sure the scammer just was happy to make that much from such little work. I also do have a few police reports..up here, and down there. Rental car company also has one going as well. Hope we catch that Rat.
When (not if) you do catch that punk, I have a very large taser that you can borrow.

You can imagine my disappointment when I got my “Real ID” license back and the only difference was a stupid gold star. I guess the difference is in the document check, but really, what a pointless exercise.

That might be the only visible difference, but there may be more information in the bar code on the back. Doing returns at Home Depot now I notice they just scan the barcode, rather than read and type in the DL# and name etc

I wonder what the barcoding on those fake DLs contained

Also (and this a little odd) the CA one in the picture has a star inside a gold bear and not inside a gold circle. Is that how CA licenses really are, because I thought REAL ID was a federal thing and not something the states would have much latitude with

ok, I looked it up:

Q. How should states mark compliant and non-compliant licenses so that screeners can easily distinguish between acceptable and unacceptable state-issued driver's licenses or identification cards?​

While DHS recommends that states adopt the general design marking (aka "gold star"), per the REAL ID Security Plan Guidance Handbook, states may submit for DHS review and approval alternative methods of marking documents to clearly differentiate a compliant card from a non-compliant card. Those methods could include differentiations in color, lettering, and/or format.

So it's a standard that isn't actually a standard. That's ridiculous

Last edited:
Reactions: robussc
Wouldn't the fbi want to be involved now since this individual was using fraudulent govt ids and across state lines.

How did this individual rent a Tesla through a rental agency, did he use fake documentation for that as well. Doesn't he need to provide insurance too?

OP: this sucks and I feel bad. Hopefully some positive resolution can come of this soon

Last edited:
Reactions: jwb2781
Wouldn't the fbi want to be involved now since this individual was using fraudulent govt ids and across state lines.

How did this individual rent a Tesla through a rental agency, did he use fake documentation for that as well. Doesn't he need to provide insurance too?

OP: this sucks and I feel bad. Hopefully some positive resolution can come of this soon
He used the NV drivers license, and probably a fake credit card. funny thing is, his NV license says he is 6'4", and lets be honest if you are 5'11"...shouldn't that be suspicious? He 100% isn't 6'4"...maybe 6'1" max. ..but I think he is 5'11. I appreciate all the support....I hope he gets caught, and isn't able to do this ever again.

This is very common. I’m a police officer in Fremont Ca. People do this all the time where they rent vehicles fraudulently then turn around and sell them. Almost more times than none, unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to get the cash back. Unless there is a good enough investigative lead. As for the fraudulent driver license, you will have better luck contacting your local law enforcement agency and having their fraud conduct follow up. They will creat a Track Flyer and push the image out to neighboring agencies and chances are, someone has dealt with the suspect before. Therefore, they can get them identified.