Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welp, we're now a 2 EV household...............and the 2nd EV ISN'T A TESLA!!! (ZOMG111ELEVENTY111!!!!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up our 2nd EV, and I have to say that Tesla wasn't even in the running. Not because we don't like Tesla, because we do, but because we liked another EV better on balance - the Genesis GV60. Ours is the "Performance" trim, and the straight-line speed certainly lives up to that moniker, even if the handling doesn't quite.

IMG_1082.jpeg

We'd been thinking we'd need to order one and wait, but lucked out and found an available one in a color combination that SWMBO loved in stock at our local dealership. It's Matte White over Blue Nappa leather, with lime green trim on the seats and dash. Believe me when I say that I'd have NEVER thought she'd choose that color combination, but as soon as she opened the door she was like "I LOVE it - it's both luxurious and sporty!" (this is a woman who shies away from strong colors in every other aspect of her life, so it's truly stunning to me that she likes this, but 🤷‍♂️)

IMG_1086.jpeg

The drive experience is really nice - extremely smooth and quiet, with a comfortable ride and great seats. The adaptive/adjustable suspension does a nice job, though I must say that I'd personally prefer a slightly "tighter" overall demeanor. It's perfect for her though, so that's what matters.

It's not as practical (read: cargo room) as some of the competition, but as we're empty-nesters, practicality wasn't the most important trait.

The cabin tech has a fairly steep learning curve, but we're getting the hang of it.

The audio system sounds really good, and the driving assistance systems seem to work well.

Our first EA charging session went off without a hitch, and the charging speed was truly eye-popping. It was still pulling 137KW at 80% SOC, which is NUTS:

IMG_1110.jpeg

3 years of 30-minute DC fast-charging sessions are included in the purchase price, so for our rare road trips that will be nice. There are also 4 350KW EA chargers less than 20 minutes from home, so we may pop over there from time to time for some free juice.

I bought a Tesla Tap so we can charge the GV60 with our Tesla charging cable, and the charge port location even means that our cable reaches the car with no problem:

IMG_1090.jpeg

Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone has any, but it seems to be a really nice vehicle overall, and we're (she's) happy! ;-)

HEY ZCD, congrats on becoming a 2 EV family. We are too but both are Teslas.
The car looks very cool and a great color combination. I’m surprised you were able to find one in stock to take delivery. So a couple of questions.
- What is a Tesla Tap? Is that an adapter, reverse of a J1772 to Tesla which I use for my home ChargePoint Flex level 2 charger?
- How large is the interior of the GV60? Like the size of a model 3 or a model Y?
- I’d be interested in your comparison of Technology on the Genesis vs. Tesla. Just pros and cons.
- Are there subscription services required for connectivity or other things. Is a certain period of time included? Are there any other accessories/ services that you can or need to connect to?
- I’m not familiar with the pricing. What was the MSRP and is that what they charge for the car vs. a premium? I remember when I briefly looked at the KIA EV 6 before ordering my Tesla, they were charging at least 10k over MSRP.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the all EV family!

Brian

Reactions: Zcd1 and Adam3
You may not need one, but there are some EVSEs that are dual-headed -- they can charge two EVs at once, with power sharing. This is similar to networking two EVSEs (like two Tesla Wall Connectors), but would be simpler to install (or replace an existing EVSE). I haven't yet watched the full review, but one popped up recently of the Grizzl-E DUO:
Of course, it's likely to be simpler in the short term, and cheaper, to just charge one car at a time; but I thought I'd mention this since I saw a link to this review elsewhere.

HEY ZCD, congrats on becoming a 2 EV family. We are too but both are Teslas.
The car looks very cool and a great color combination. I’m surprised you were able to find one in stock to take delivery. So a couple of questions.
- What is a Tesla Tap? Is that an adapter, reverse of a J1772 to Tesla which I use for my home ChargePoint Flex level 2 charger?
- How large is the interior of the GV60? Like the size of a model 3 or a model Y?
- I’d be interested in your comparison of Technology on the Genesis vs. Tesla. Just pros and cons.
- Are there subscription services required for connectivity or other things. Is a certain period of time included? Are there any other accessories/ services that you can or need to connect to?
- I’m not familiar with the pricing. What was the MSRP and is that what they charge for the car vs. a premium? I remember when I briefly looked at the KIA EV 6 before ordering my Tesla, they were charging at least 10k over MSRP.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the all EV family!

Brian

Hey, thanks!

We were surprised to find one in stock too...
  • Tesla Tap ($209 on Amazon) connects to the end of the Tesla charging cable to allow it to charge J1772 EVs (read: basically every non-Tesla EV)
  • Interior size is between the Model 3 and Y. Back seat is more comfortable than the 3 because the seats are higher off the floor. Cargo space is also in between the 3 and Y, though it really doesn't have a "Frunk" at all.
  • Tech comparison: That might be better as a separate post if anyone else is interested. I will mention that it has a heads-up display which is nice, and it has Apple CarPlay, which I don't really care about, but many people really like. You can also tell that the car was designed by a legacy manufacturer, in that there's a "Start" button (why?!?!?) and the shifter is on the console. The shifter itself is that glowing orb visible in the interior photo, which then flips over when the Start button is pressed to reveal the shifter. Is that feature "theater for the sake of theater"?? Yep, but it's also kinda neat.... ;-)
  • There are indeed connected services, with the first 12 months included with the vehicle purchase.
  • There's a mobile phone app that allows controls over most aspects of the vehicle function - similar to but maybe even more capable than Tesla's app.
  • GV60 Advanced starts at about $60K. Performance about $9.5K more, so in-line with Model Y pricing. No ADM, no additional fees, no games played at all by the dealer, which was nice. The sales dude was also very nice - a refreshing change from the last time I visited a legacy mfrs. showroom.
  • Also included Genesis Concierge services - meaning should anything go wrong, they come pick up the car and provide a loaner, and bring it back when it's fixed. Sorta like Tesla used to do, before they got busy... ;-)

You may not need one, but there are some EVSEs that are dual-headed -- they can charge two EVs at once, with power sharing. This is similar to networking two EVSEs (like two Tesla Wall Connectors), but would be simpler to install (or replace an existing EVSE). I haven't yet watched the full review, but one popped up recently of the Grizzl-E DUO:
Of course, it's likely to be simpler in the short term, and cheaper, to just charge one car at a time; but I thought I'd mention this since I saw a link to this review elsewhere.
srs, interesting, but I don’t think really needed for most with 2 EVs. Besides the fact that my wife doesn’t drive her car as much as me, charging the cars on alternate nights is never a problem. Also, charging two cars on the same charger, would diminish the charging by half for both cars. There are Chargepoint chargers at our 2nd home and when two cars are connected to the same post (with 2 charge handles) they charge soooo slow (about 10 MPH). Our ChargePoint Flex charges well at 40 amps and about 35 MPH for either car.

How does it do with identifying charge locations on your route? I test drove an early Ioniq 5, really wanted to buy it but I couldn't find how to have it find routes through chargers when I routed past its range. When i searched it gave me charge locations near where I was not where I will be...
Having owned teslas I assumed every ev would have this feature. I actually passed on buying that car because of this. I'm hoping ioniq ev6 gv60 have the feature by now...

We just picked up our 2nd EV, and I have to say that Tesla wasn't even in the running. Not because we don't like Tesla, because we do, but because we liked another EV better on balance - the Genesis GV60.
The Genesis sedans are the line I’m most looking forward to seeing “electrified.” It’s not the same as a “from scratch” EV, like my M3, but if one is interested in diversifying away from Tesla sedans a bit, Genesis seems promising.

Congrats!

Hey, thanks!

We were surprised to find one in stock too...
  • Tesla Tap ($209 on Amazon) connects to the end of the Tesla charging cable to allow it to charge J1772 EVs (read: basically every non-Tesla EV)

Tesla Tap.

One other cool feature is that the car audibly says "Charging started" via its external speaker so you know that charging has begun.

Also the lights left of the charge port illuminate to indicate SOC, and the uppermost row of lights flashes while charging as a further indicator of SOC progress:

IMG_1172.jpeg