Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Virginia Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do as I did and write letter to Ruby Tuesday to ensure their forthcoming fleet of Tesla Superchargers destination chargers includes their WV locations
I will. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is WV the ONLY state without any superchargers???

Edit: looks like Nebraska, North Dakota, Arkansas, and West Virginia are the only states without any Supercharger footprint at all.

Reactions: OregonHill
My concern is the lack of central West Virginia Superchargers along one of the busiest east/west US interstates

I've driven between Lexington VA abc Lexington WV probably 50 times by myself without a passenger...it's a gorgeous stretch of mountainous road but positively harrowing to navigate around 70MPH twists turns curves hills between and around all the semi-tricks on the WV Toll Road. There are numerous up-hill run-off ramps for trucks who lose brakes to use so they don't slide of the mountains. Scary

I never ever get onto that stretch of highway without topping off the ICE tank because I-64 is occasionly closed with little to no warning during fog conditions or inclement weather along the peaks of the two mountain ranges it climbs/crosses.

I hope the good folks of Nebraska, Arkansas, and North Dakota have a thread too but Wheeling SC has been there for years and doesn't help me get to my Ol Kentucky Home from my new home in Virginia.

Sorry for the rant but I'm very frustrated because this is a true safety concern not just convenience...and oh ya I want to feel that MS torque on those mountains ;-)

As mentioned in the article, increasing EV use would actually (at least currently) help WV.

POTUS efforts notwithstanding, a lot of electricity in the US is generated by coal. Increased EV use = increased electricity use = increased coal use.
In reality, you are not going to see much, if any, of a bump in electricity usage from EVs. For every EV that replaces an ICE powered car you just shift the electricity usage from the refinery to the car itself. In practice you will probably see a net decrease in electricity usage.

Please contact Tamarak just off 77 by Beckly as they are considering a destination charger. If many of us ask it will make the trip much easier. I have talked to them many times and they are on the fence. Another I have talked to is Days Inn at Flatwoods just off of I 79.

Last edited:
Coming from Cincinnati, I'd love to drive the tesla to the Greenbrier & Snowshoe. I really couldn't make myself take the ICE on a trip now. I'll just wait for the eventual supercharger in WV to make it possible. Hopefully it'll come soon.

Looks like it will be a long wait for us. I see nothing in the works for WVa. There is currently no reasonable option for traveling from Columbus to Roanoke other than my ice.
John McNeill was saying that they look at owner saturation in areas for supercharger deployment. But that doesn't entirely make sense because Tesla adoption the middle of Kansas is pretty sparse yet there is a path through that state. West Virgina superchargers would primarily be a way to traverse the state rather than go around it. And I don't think Tesla is aware of just how big of a migration there is between north and south via Virgina.

I've tried reaching out to my OA and DS on several occasions, seeking contact info for someone with more influence over the supercharger network. I've been stonewalled thus far.

As a resident of WV, I think an expansion with 1-2 SCs in the center of the state would serve to greatly increase the number of Tesla owners traversing the state (i.e. spending money here), in addition to exposing a much greater portion of the population to Tesla products.

North central WV is a quickly growing area with many residents having the wherewithal to purchase an S or X, yet it's alarming how few are even aware of the company's existence and it's product offerings. I'm afraid the degree to which folks are unaware will only become that much more magnified, once we start driving our X around the area.

If anyone has any contact info they'd be willing to share, please message me. As a lender, I work with a lot of folks whom I believe would be interested in working with Tesla on an install, in an area best suited to serve us, as owners.