Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Virginia Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently negotiating a lease on a Model S. During my test drive yesterday, the salesman and I were talking about the Supercharger network, and he said one is coming to Charleston and might be operating by the end of 2016. He had no reason to lie to me because I hadn't brought up that location. I don't know if it's true, but I have no reason not to believe him (other than he's a car salesman :) ).

I'm currently negotiating a lease on a Model S. During my test drive yesterday, the salesman and I were talking about the Supercharger network, and he said one is coming to Charleston and might be operating by the end of 2016. He had no reason to lie to me because I hadn't brought up that location. I don't know if it's true, but I have no reason not to believe him (other than he's a car salesman :) ).
Unlike most cars sales people, Tesla employees are not on commission, so they have no reason to stretch the truth to meet a quota. Regarding the supercharger network, there are no defined schedules or defined future locations, but if you look at the supercharger map on Tesla's website you could infer there will one day be a supercharger near Charleston WV. Some superchargers only take a month or so to build, some take years (usually due to red tape from the town councils or permit issues or even citizen intervention.) But the lack of a supercharger in Charlston should not hold you back from buying your Tesla! :)

First trip to the Outer Banks was painful, I had to go down I95 and the over 64. It took me four extra hours, however two+ of them was the extra milage Baltimore and Washington DC. The last trip to OBX took maybe 45 minutes longer than normal and that was do to things being closed in and around Salisbury MD.

When we go greater distances were generally on vacation, so what is the hurry, will that hour or two break you.

I live in Charleston and the best location I believe would be off Exit 95 in Kanawha City (SE part of Charleston). At that point I64 and I77 are combined so east-west and north-south traffic would pass by. There is a mall area right immediately off the exit with Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, fast food, and some shopping. There are large parking lot areas available to site the SCs. The WV Dept of Environmental Protection headquarters is also in this mall area, so perhaps they'd lend a hand.

In Beckley, I agree that the Tamarack plaza would be the best location.

I own a Leaf right now since it has local service, but am a Tesla fan and shareholder. If Charleston could get a service center, I'd be very inclined to purchase, but a 3 hour drive/tow just isn't practical for service.

I live in Charleston and the best location I believe would be off Exit 95 in Kanawha City (SE part of Charleston). At that point I64 and I77 are combined so east-west and north-south traffic would pass by. There is a mall area right immediately off the exit with Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, fast food, and some shopping. There are large parking lot areas available to site the SCs. The WV Dept of Environmental Protection headquarters is also in this mall area, so perhaps they'd lend a hand.

I own a Leaf right now since it has local service, but am a Tesla fan and shareholder. If Charleston could get a service center, I'd be very inclined to purchase, but a 3 hour drive/tow just isn't practical for service.

Thanks for those insights. I've updated my WV Supercharger Speculative Map to reflect those possible locations.

Do you mind forwarding that excellent comment to the supercharging team just in case they still don't have a solid lead on a location?

Do you mind forwarding that excellent comment to the supercharging team just in case they still don't have a solid lead on a location?

Will do. The only folks that would have to go out of their way would be those traveling I64 to I79 or vice versa, but it isn't much out of the way, probably less than 25 minutes round trip. With three interstates converging in Charleston, it would seem to be a natural spot for a SC.

Incidentally, I was at the Tesla store in Cincinnati today and had a great visit. Very friendly and helpful folks. You could feel the enthusiasm of being part of the Tesla mission.

I forgot to mention that the mayor of Charleston owns (owned?) a Volt and has met with other EV owners in the past. He would likely be very receptive to helping out even in the face of WV's idiotic legislature. Actually, I think he likes to ensure that the city shows up backward state govt. My neighbor is also a city councilman, so I'd be happy to help however I can. I passed this info along to the Tesla SC team as well.

Mayor meets with fellow electric-car owners

Reactions: swengl
Without an incognito TMC profile, I'm not going to indicate why I'm posting this ;) but.... stay tuned in the next week or two for more info.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5792857,-79.951639,452m/data=!3m1!1e3

upload_2016-10-26_11-33-1.png

upload_2016-10-26_11-33-38.png

Now, what about Charleston?

Whew - tough crowd... Get one project rolling and the critics are already worried about the next.

In all seriousness, these 'projects' have proven to be black holes of 'spare time'. It took months just to get the right people talking in Morgantown and I live here. I tried to get in touch with some folks in Charleston that have the wherewithal and the proper real estate holdings, but haven't committed an equivalent amount of effort to it.

Whew - tough crowd... Get one project rolling and the critics are already worried about the next.

In all seriousness, these 'projects' have proven to be black holes of 'spare time'. It took months just to get the right people talking in Morgantown and I live here. I tried to get in touch with some folks in Charleston that have the wherewithal and the proper real estate holdings, but haven't committed an equivalent amount of effort to it.
Hey, I'm really sorry about how that came off. I'm super pleased that Morgantown will help a lot of Tesla owners. For me personally, it was Charleston that would shave 2.5hrs off our trip to South Carolina. So my intention was not to sound ungrateful, in fact, I think any progress in W. Virginia is great.

Reactions: jbumps
Hey, I'm really sorry about how that came off. I'm super pleased that Morgantown will help a lot of Tesla owners. For me personally, it was Charleston that would shave 2.5hrs off our trip to South Carolina. So my intention was not to sound ungrateful, in fact, I think any progress in W. Virginia is great.

No apologies necessary, whatsoever. I wasn't at all serious - good example of how hard it is to interpret tone/intent on a message board.

For me personally, this Morgantown site is of zero use. The time it would take to 'save' money by avoiding charging at home is a complete nonstarter. This being the first project of this sort I've attempted, it made sense to start on familiar turf. I, like you, cannot wait for a Charleston/Beckley site to pop up and open up the Wytheville SC and rest of the South East.

FYI, I did contact the Charleston mayor's office about coordinating with local business and regulatory agencies to site a Supercharger and I talked with the manager of the IHOP off of exit 95 since it is the only 24 hour establishment (other than a couple gas stations) off that exit. I would rather see it in the mall area on the other side of the interstate, but it would be slim pickings at night within a reasonable walk.

The IHOP manager said they'd talk to the district rep about it. So, we'll see if any of this goes anywhere. Might at least get a destination charger out of it

Reactions: swengl and 1101011
Please also contact Tamarak just off I77 as I have been working on them for some destination chargers. A bit more interest may help push them over the edge. Another business that is tentatively open to destination chargers is the Days Inn just off I79 in Flatwoods. While not a supercharger some 80 amp level 2 would be VERY helpful.

Without an incognito TMC profile, I'm not going to indicate why I'm posting this ;) but.... stay tuned in the next week or two for more info.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5792857,-79.951639,452m/data=!3m1!1e3

View attachment 200176

View attachment 200177

Any news on this? could do with a good Fast charging/Supercharger option in Morgantown. I drive DC to Wheeling, WV regularly (Family) and much prefer to go 68. Having a supercharger outside wheeling helps but there is too much road and mountains on 68 to get there in a straight shot.