Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Hope is waiting on BC Hydro. The electricians were attaching the nozzle cables on the charging pedestals this morning and the wiring to the pedestals appears to be complete.

However, there is no BC Hydro transformer on site; just a nice concrete pad.

I fear this will be the sequence with every BC installation! BC Hydro certainly can drag their feet!

I don't remember there being significant delay (once construction had begun, anyway) at the Squamish site. You would think, if anything, subsequent sites would go faster.

Yes, I think there will be improvement, but signs are that BC Hydro held up Squamish for weeks after the permit had already been approved by the municipality. It was to that unpleasant memory that I was referring. I don't mean to be cynical about Hope, Kamloops, Revelstoke and Golden, just cautious!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410739654.648351.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410739670.330336.jpg

Waiting on hydro is the word from the team

Thanks again, nleggatt, for the updated pics.

Get off your arse BC Hydro! I guess on the bright side, at least that Crown corporation part of our government is working, unlike the Ministry of Education. I have three kids still on summer vacation because of the teacher's strike!

Does anyone know whether Alta Lake Electric is starting construction on another SpC ?

I don't know for sure but hope the Alta Lake Electric crew continues heading east. As of last week no work had begun at the Kamloops Visitor centre, Revelstoke municipal hall hadn't heard anything new (i.e. whether a specific site had been selected) and Golden said things were still in the planning stages and that no permits had yet been applied for. I expect the person who really knows where things are at is the fellow from Black & Veatch that Canmore town hall has indicated is scouting around but he seems to be deflecting inquiries to head office.

Tesla SC site guy.png

If Tesla has chosen the Best Western location in Revelstoke, that's very disappointing. There is nothing to do there and that parking lot is subject to ICEing, particularly by jacked up F450s towing trailers full of sleds in the winter time. The downtown location is much better for amenities, and when the owner of the Best Western suggests it over the Best Western location, I've got to wonder if anyone is listening.

As for why the SCH charger doesn’t get used as much as the Best Western would like, put it down to a $6 fee and 5 hours of charging to add 150 km. That charger is really only useful if you are staying overnight at the Best Western, or if you are desperate.

Permit from City of Revelstoke website:

https://revelstoke.civicweb.net/Fil...014-08 DP-2014-08 1925 Laforme Boulevard .pdf

Looks like a hybrid.

Item 6.1 in permit:

6.1. The applicants are proposing to construct an electric vehicle charging station that includes the installation of equipment for four charging stands and construction of an accessory building for associated equipment (see Figures 5 & 6). Two of the charging stands would be for Tesla vehicles only and two would be for any electric vehicle.

Last edited:
So are the 2 non-Tesla spots being built by Tesla? That is a first isn't it?

It would be, but that seems to be a misunderstanding. The actual drawings in the permit file (above) show a normal 4-stall supercharger, with no wiring or conduit for any additional charging equipment, just a notation that posts 1A and 1B are "Dedicated" while 2A and 2B are "Enabled" - which normally simply means different signage permitting ICE parking in the other 2 stalls.

The covering note by the Council officials seems to have interpreted that as "any other EV" rather than "any other vehicle".

Yes, good point @arg, the permit document does indeed say only other EV's can park there, not charge. Hopefully that will minimize ICE'ing concerns as pointed out by @DasRad, and the signage will be appropriate.

Below is an excerpt of the permit drawings showing the sloped roof over the equiptment encloser on the rendering. Note that it is south facing, perhaps for future solar panels?
B+V1.jpg

Below is another excerpt of the permit drawings showing some of the interesting details. I don't think I have seen any of these sorts of drawings before. The whole permit drawing set is quite interesting.
B+V2.jpg

I also noticed that the rendering drawing was done out of B & V's Kansas office, while the detail drawing was done out of their Nova Scotia office.