Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. On the whole the report was well done. The Tesla owner did a great job. The reporters are, as usual, clueless, but at least they didn't say anything too terribly dumb.
That Tesla owner has been known to be clueless and say dumb things too, thankfully they edited all those bits out. :) (That owner is me before I get flamed) The cameraman was actually quite knowledgeable about Tesla and the S, he's the one that asked to see inside the frunk. I would've liked them to not have used so much of the YouTube P85D clip at the start but I guess since it's all over social media now it's something that's "relatable" and "sticky" to non-Tesla people.

That Tesla owner has been known to be clueless and say dumb things too, thankfully they edited all those bits out. :) (That owner is me before I get flamed) The cameraman was actually quite knowledgeable about Tesla and the S, he's the one that asked to see inside the frunk. I would've liked them to not have used so much of the YouTube P85D clip at the start but I guess since it's all over social media now it's something that's "relatable" and "sticky" to non-Tesla people.

You did good Spurkey.. BTW was that you couldn't say on TV ?:wink:

Not like some of the media reporting that when you push the insane button the car immediately accelerates to 60 in 3 sec :rolleyes:
Yes, but for those motor heads, the way the kids cell phone in the back stayed half way up the seat on that YouTube clip has to be impressive.

I wonder when the supercharger in Canmore is going to open. The community art center is currently under construction, so no charging at this location at the moment.

i wonder if the team from the Vancouver tesla store will show up for the opening of the Canmore. If I'll in town I'll will attend.

my new tesla is arriving late March .

I wonder when the supercharger in Canmore is going to open. The community art center is currently under construction, so no charging at this location at the moment.

i wonder if the team from the Vancouver tesla store will show up for the opening of the Canmore. If I'll in town I'll will attend.

my new tesla is arriving late March .
i don't think Tesla has had any official opening for Alberta yet, maybe they should. Red deer might have been the best opportunity as it would be equidistant from Edmonton and Calgary though Canmore is a pretty nice location.

Does anyone have any news as to where/when the Vancouver supercharger is going to land? It appears to be on the map for 2015, and the tip of the pin puts it square in the City of Vancouver, but I don't think it'll be inside the city, will it?
Good question. I wonder if in Vancouver or Burnaby area. I suspect it will be off the highway somewhere.. Maybe between Hwy 1 and Hwy 99?

It appears to be on the map for 2015, and the tip of the pin puts it square in the City of Vancouver, but I don't think it'll be inside the city, will it?

Tesla's original plan was to only place Superchargers outside of cities (to facilitate long-distance travel and minimize abuse by locals).

They seem to have relaxed that policy of late though, as a way of accommodating owners who may not have access to home charging options. Toronto, Montreal, London, and New York are examples of this, so I wouldn't be surprised if they opt for something similar with Vancouver.

Hi guys,

I didn't see any recent pictures of the Superchargers in Canmore, AB so I thought I'd share photos I took about 3 days ago.

I was out visiting from Newfoundland to Calgary/Banff for a ski trip. I had never seen a Tesla Supercharger in person before, so on the way back from Banff I stopped in to Canmore to check them out. Everything looks finished to me from what I could see so it must be opening soon. It will probably be quite a while before our east coast Tesla makes it all the way out here!

BTW: I knew the cable was going to be pretty heavy duty considering the high power they can handle but I was really surprised on just how stiff the cable was. In addition, the cable is not very long and seemed like it would not be easy plugging into a Model S considering how far the concrete parking blocks are away from the chargers. Like I said, I've need used/seen a Supercharger before so not sure if this is normal?

IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

I was out visiting from Newfoundland to Calgary/Banff for a ski trip.

BTW: I knew the cable was going to be pretty heavy duty considering the high power they can handle but I was really surprised on just how stiff the cable was. In addition, the cable is not very long and seemed like it would not be easy plugging into a Model S considering how far the concrete parking blocks are away from the chargers. Like I said, I've need used/seen a Supercharger before so not sure if this is normal?

Yeah, Supercharging can be a bit of a "process" sometimes. They're designed to be approached a certain way and accessed a certain way and if you cannot follow said process for some reason, a bit of creative improvisation is often required.

The cables are definitely on the stiff side and not very long (presumably to minimize losses), so that part is typical. The cold weather likely wasn't doing you any favors because in warm weather they're quite pliable.

How was your trip? Did the weather behave?

Tesla's original plan was to only place Superchargers outside of cities (to facilitate long-distance travel and minimize abuse by locals).

They seem to have relaxed that policy of late though, as a way of accommodating owners who may not have access to home charging options. Toronto, Montreal, London, and New York are examples of this, so I wouldn't be surprised if they opt for something similar with Vancouver.

I imagine the other rationale is that for people traveling to a place like Calgary they may not have access to destination charging (I have helped with this on occasion). For example if you were coming in from the East to Calgary (and didn't know lots of TMC people who would lend their HPWCs) you wouldn't want to have to go all the way to Canmore to supercharge so you would have to find one of our few Level 2 chargers. Edmonton is worse on this score. Anyway I believe Calgary will be getting one this year and Edmonton next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys,

I didn't see any recent pictures of the Superchargers in Canmore, AB so I thought I'd share photos I took about 3 days ago.

I was out visiting from Newfoundland to Calgary/Banff for a ski trip. I had never seen a Tesla Supercharger in person before, so on the way back from Banff I stopped in to Canmore to check them out. Everything looks finished to me from what I could see so it must be opening soon. It will probably be quite a while before our east coast Tesla makes it all the way out here!

View attachment 71936

I think someone else mentioned the concrete block problem. Not sure if we can report this as it seems it will probably be an issue based on feedback from other supercharger threads.
Welcome to our parts. I have many fond memories of visiting the rock in a past life. Don't think I'll be driving out there in my Tesla any time soon.

How was your trip? Did the weather behave?

Trip was great. It was amazing that down in Banff and Canmore it was spring like (hovering around 3 degrees and basically no snow on the ground). Then as soon as you get up in the mountains, I skied Sunshine Village both days, there were piles and piles of snow.

Something else that amazed me about the west coast was experiencing a Chinook. We were driving from Calgary to Banff and within about 15 minutes of driving (say ~25 km) it went from -10 degrees C to + 11 degrees C. It was so bizarre!

Anyways the spring like conditions in Canmore should make it easy for finishing the supercharger construction. Looks like just a bit of asphalt left.

You did good Spurkey.. BTW was that you couldn't say on TV ?:wink:
"Supercharging is ****ing awesome!!!™" :) Now I can use the heater and I can drive the speed limit when it's -20° and the prairie wind is blowing, it only costs me a 10 minute stop in Red Deer now instead of over an hour.

EDIT: Awww, even TMC censors me. I trust you can fill in the blank.

Last edited:
"Supercharging is ****ing awesome!!!™" :) Now I can use the heater and I can drive the speed limit when it's -20° and the prairie wind is blowing, it only costs me a 10 minute stop in Red Deer now instead of over an hour.

EDIT: Awww, even TMC censors me. I trust you can fill in the blank.
Yes it is AMAZing
I have to make a trip to Red Deer today from Edmonton so I'll check it out

Well as I will finally get my car from the wrap shop (and the tire shop) on Friday - and as it's a long weekend, I definitely going to do a road trip. I was really hoping Canmore would be online but i could go to Golden and stay overnight at the travel lodge. I guess at least a trip to Red Deer might be in the cards. In 8 months of my previous Tesla driving I never saw a super charger so looking forward to it.