Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't tell in any of your pictures, but the important part, and part that normally slows things down the most, is whether or not there's a brand new power transformer on site yet. It will be green, quite large, and not in the Tesla enclosure. (I see what looks like one at the far end of the pictures, but I'm relatively certain that one's not big enough, so it's probably for something else...)

We've seen more than a couple of these get held up for a rather long time waiting for that final power company connection.

Transformer in place. Electricians working
IMG_20160923_143126.jpg

I did a quick snoop around the Merritt site on Saturday. Saw what might be the pad mount transformer base, but no way to know if it's for the Tesla gear or the hotel. The site is quite a way from being ready for pavement, even though the building is essentially at lock-up. I don't know if they'll push to pave before the asphalt plants shut down (usually between Halloween and Remembrance Day), but it looks kinda doubtful. Which is odd, because if it was me, I'd be pushing to get the paving done to clean up the site for the interior finishing work...

I note that the supercharge.info site doesn't show anything in Merritt yet. And I don't have anything solid enough to have it added either. Soon, I hope.

I did a quick snoop around the Merritt site on Saturday. Saw what might be the pad mount transformer base, but no way to know if it's for the Tesla gear or the hotel. The site is quite a way from being ready for pavement, even though the building is essentially at lock-up. I don't know if they'll push to pave before the asphalt plants shut down (usually between Halloween and Remembrance Day), but it looks kinda doubtful. Which is odd, because if it was me, I'd be pushing to get the paving done to clean up the site for the interior finishing work...

I note that the supercharge.info site doesn't show anything in Merritt yet. And I don't have anything solid enough to have it added either. Soon, I hope.
I'll be in Merritt this weekend for the Pacific Forest Rally, Where is it that you think a supercharger is going? I'm assuming somewhere up near the Husky on the highway?

Reactions: Morristhecat
I have my fingers seriously crossed for Merritt and Calgary to be up and running by July next year for our road trip to Drumheller.
I was crossing my fingers for Merritt before this weekend... but I sort of gave up on that a few months ago.
Luckily there are several good L2 chargers there. Unfortunately the one at the Husky (where I'll be spending most of my time) doesn't work, and the manager doesn't care (been broken since at least July 2015, probably earlier, and when I discussed it with the manager there in October 2015 she said she didn't know it was down, but refused to even check the circuit breaker, months later it was still down, and the latest on plugshare shows no change)

I was crossing my fingers for Merritt before this weekend... but I sort of gave up on that a few months ago.
Luckily there are several good L2 chargers there. Unfortunately the one at the Husky (where I'll be spending most of my time) doesn't work, and the manager doesn't care (been broken since at least July 2015, probably earlier, and when I discussed it with the manager there in October 2015 she said she didn't know it was down, but refused to even check the circuit breaker, months later it was still down, and the latest on plugshare shows no change)

The chademo charger was working well there in August if you have an adapter.

The chademo charger was working well there in August if you have an adapter.
Can't justify the cost as this is the only chademo I've ever seen that I'd have any reason to use. There are just so few chademos around, and the only one I ever wanted to use is supposed to have a supercharger installed nearby.

Additionally, as chademo is less than half the speed of a supercharger, it's only a little bit faster than the L2 chargers that are right beside it, don't require an adapter, and don't charge for use.

On a side note, I just checked plugshare, and it no longer sees the Merritt chademo?

Can't justify the cost as this is the only chademo I've ever seen that I'd have any reason to use. There are just so few chademos around, and the only one I ever wanted to use is supposed to have a supercharger installed nearby.

Additionally, as chademo is less than half the speed of a supercharger, it's only a little bit faster than the L2 chargers that are right beside it, don't require an adapter, and don't charge for use.

On a side note, I just checked plugshare, and it no longer sees the Merritt chademo?

It is showing up on my Plugshare. Weird. We also found that this chademo charged at about 270 km/hr. Not sure what the level 2s do but I don't believe they charge that fast. Also, if you ever want to travel along Hwy 3 in the southern interior of BC a chademo is a must. I have it for peace of mind.

It is showing up on my Plugshare. Weird. We also found that this chademo charged at about 270 km/hr. Not sure what the level 2s do but I don't believe they charge that fast. Also, if you ever want to travel along Hwy 3 in the southern interior of BC a chademo is a must. I have it for peace of mind.
I see why I couldn't see it, I had pay chargers hidden, now that I turn that on I do see it.
270km/hr? that seems highly unlikely on a chademo. Unfortunately though plugshare has removed the volts and amps listings they used to show on all the chargers, so I can't see what that one is capable of. Only one person has quoted a charge rate in their comments, and that was 68km/hr. The CS-90 beside it will give about 25km/hr so more than a third, and although the extra speed sounds like it would be important, at either of those speeds you're there long enough you need to find something else to do anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I see why I couldn't see it, I had pay chargers hidden, now that I turn that on I do see it.
270km/hr? that seems highly unlikely on a chademo. Unfortunately though plugshare has removed the volts and amps listings they used to show on all the chargers, so I can't see what that one is capable of. Only one person has quoted a charge rate in their comments, and that was 68km/hr. The CS-90 beside it will give about 25km/hr so more than a third, and although the extra speed sounds like it would be important, at either of those speeds you're there long enough you need to find something else to do anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
That is what the car told us the charge was coming through at. We were pleasantly surprised. We charged for about 40 minutes and obtained 200 km of additional charge.

The Chademo, assuming it maxes out all 62.5kW of the chademo spec, can reach about that charge rate (though most chargers in the wild are nowhere near that high) That said, I made a mistake earlier, the L2 CS-90 charger next to it should be able to do about 90km/hr of charge, so still about a third.

Either way, I'm in town all weekend, I'm sure I can get enough juice to get back to Kamloops without the chademo.

I have used both the Chademo and the CS-90 there, and the CS-90 will be the one quoted as giving 68km/hr as it is only 69Amps. The Chademo is quite impressive there and I totally believe the rate being over 200km/hr, depending upon where you are in the charging curve. It costs $.35/kw as I recall, and a $5 top up between superchargers is really quick and handy.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmt489
I have used both the Chademo and the CS-90 there, and the CS-90 will be the one quoted as giving 68km/hr as it is only 69Amps. The Chademo is quite impressive there and I totally believe the rate being over 200km/hr, depending upon where you are in the charging curve. It costs $.35/kw as I recall, and a $5 top up between superchargers is really quick and handy.
I am pretty sure the charge rate changed after we left the vehicle. This was simply what we noted when we started to charge. It was well worth the $9 for the peace of mind.

Hmmm. I seem to remember seeing blue S60 at the Hope SC this summer and we chatted about the Merritt charger.:)
I tried the CHAdeMO in Nanaimo and Langley. Both gave me 194km/hr rate, around 400v 80-90 amps.

For what it's worth, I've been told that "the Merritt Supercharger construction is well under way!" Not sure where it will be, but green1 might want to check at a second new hotel at the end of De Wolf Way if there is no sign of a supercharger on Crawford Ave. That's on the other side of the Coquihalla nearer to the Dairy Queen and Starbucks.

Reactions: cmt489
I have my fingers seriously crossed for Merritt and Calgary to be up and running by July next year for our road trip to Drumheller.

I drove the Vancouver to Drumheller and Dinosaur Provincial Park route this summer. The good folks at Chinook Mall were kind enough to allow me to charge as I headed both east and west. A supercharger in Calgary would certainly make the trip easier.

For what it's worth, I've been told that "the Merritt Supercharger construction is well under way!" Not sure where it will be, but green1 might want to check at a second new hotel at the end of De Wolf Way if there is no sign of a supercharger on Crawford Ave. That's on the other side of the Coquihalla nearer to the Dairy Queen and Starbucks.
It's actually going in at the Best Western Plus under construction, near the Husky and Boston Pizza. Superchargers will be installed on the end of the property closest to Gordon Street, near the Old Princeton-Kamloops highway. The goal is for it to be active at the end of October, but based on the state of the site last weekend, the goal is ambitious. Possible, but ambitious. Supposedly 4 active at the start, with capacity to add 4 more.