Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I'm in Vernon tonight and never thought to go by and take a look when I drove by today. I'll do that on the way home. It will sure be nice when it's up and running since that last 20% takes so long. I charged to 99% in Hope today and got to Kelowna's SC with 18%, with the original estimate being 33%.

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch
I drove from hope to Kamloops last weekend (my first trip with my new s after picking it up from Vancouver and driving home to Calgary) and found that I was supposed to have approx 29% when I arrived in Kamloops. I ended up arriving with 16% I believe. What I found is that the first 20 minutes or so of driving out of hope is where the most energy was lost. It was pouring rain as well. After I saw how much range was lost so quickly, it really made me pay very close attention for the rest of my trip to Kamloops. Overall it was a great drive, but at each stop I was the only one charging. For those making the trip through field at the moment with all the work being done to repair the highway, I lost about 2% of my charge while I waited the hour for the highway to open up.

• Informative
I believe the energy estimation problem for the Coquihalla sections should probably be blamed on the Garmin side of the GPS system. It apparently believes there are significant stretches of highway that are signed slower than actual. Tesla does the energy calculation based on data from the canned Garmin GPS software and comes up overly-optimistic, thanks to slower assumed speeds. Garmin only updates once in a while, so I infer that the problem won't (can't) be solved by Tesla until Garmin provides an update to them.

Or at least that's what I think...

I haven't been too put out by it so far, but winter conditions will make it a tighter trip between Hope and Kamloops... not having to charge up as completely in Hope will be a time saver for sure.

I think the nav system now knows the correct speed limits, at least between Hope and Merritt and on to Kelowna. Last time I left Hope with the nav system set to a destination in Kelowna, the estimated time of arrival only decreased by 3 or 4 minutes with the cruise control set to the posted speed limits along the route. When I did the same time a year ago, the ETA would continuously drop, ending up about 20 to 30 minutes earlier than predicted on leaving Hope.

The supercharger in Merritt will be a welcome addition. I've always been able to make it between Kelowna and Hope when starting with a full charge (currently 410 km of rated range), but it's been (too) close a couple of times. Last winter I was approaching the Coquihalla summit with an indicated distance to Hope of 46 km and a remaining range of 42 km. Not comfortable even knowing that the next 20 or so km is downhill. That's the very worst energy usage I've seen and was done with a roof box on the vehicle and 3 passengers in winter conditions. Note that the actual distance from my home in Kelowna to the Hope supercharger is 254km.

Interestingly, I almost always use more energy going westbound than going eastbound. Probably because the prevailing winds are usually from the west.

I always plan to record my energy usage on each leg, but manage to forget until it's been wiped from the trip screen!

What I saw the last time I did the drive (two weeks ago) was the dash showing my limit as 100 km/h for quite a way out of Hope... instead of the posted 120. I believe a few other locations were messed up too, but I can't recall exactly where now. The wind friction between 100 and 120 is significant, so it wouldn't take too many km to throw the calculation out the window.

I'm going to be doing that drive again next week... I should remember to take a photo of the energy graph to show how the 'actual' dropped quickly below the 'projected' line, but then ran parallel for most of the rest of the trip.

beeeerock mentioning energy graphs reminded me of a question I was hoping someone might be able to answer. On my last trip to Vancouver I noticed that the peaks and valleys (significant changes in inclines) of the actual energy usage plot occurred a km or two after the peaks and valleys on the predicted usage plot. This leads to some big swings in the estimated battery percentage at the destination when traveling those few kms. It seems to me that the app must be using distance travelled to create the graph rather than matching the car's GPS with GPS points on the predicted usage plot.

Is this something others have observed?
IMG_20161018_123739 crop.jpg

beeeerock mentioning energy graphs reminded me of a question I was hoping someone might be able to answer. On my last trip to Vancouver I noticed that the peaks and valleys (significant changes in inclines) of the actual energy usage plot occurred a km or two after the peaks and valleys on the predicted usage plot. This leads to some big swings in the estimated battery percentage at the destination when traveling those few kms. It seems to me that the app must be using distance travelled to create the graph rather than matching the car's GPS with GPS points on the predicted usage plot.

Is this something others have observed?

Yup! I've pondered why but haven't come up with anything more than wildly speculative ideas... but I'm leaning toward inaccuracy or simply lack of detail in the canned topo data.

Made a trip from Vancouver to Kelowna this labour day weekend and have a few detailed data points regarding the trip from Hope to Kelowna and back. This was done in about 15degree weather, 400kg payload (5adults plus weekend luggage) and in a S70D 19" tires. Cabin at 22 degrees

Hope to Kelowna:
Starting range: 373km
Ending range: 47km
Rated Kms used: 326km
TACC set at 120km/h
Average of 215wh/km

Kelowna to Hope:
Starting range: 384km
Ending range: 67km
Rated Kms used: 317
TACC set at 130km/h
Avg of 209wh/km

Overall easy trip but hanging around hope for such a full charge gets boring. The supercharger in Merritt will be welcome.

Here are my calulations for Hope to Kelowna round trip I posted to the Vancouver to Alberta trip planning thread. Seems relevant to current discussions

Any news on the merritt supercharger? Will be driving down to cali on sat would be nice to have this open.
There is a risk it won't be open until the hotel is, which could be a while, but then again, anything is possible. Either way though, as it wasn't open a few days ago per Strathcorob I wouldn't count on it for this weekend.

• Informative
I believe it's supposed to be across from Chinook Centre near the LRT - somewhere in that industrial area along Centre St South.

I was at the store today to book a test drive, and they said the service centre would be "near Blackfoot". No clear timeline, maybe late this year or early next. Like all Tesla promises, I'll believe it when I see it.

As for superchargers, Fort MacLeod is opening "soon". Sweet Grass will probably be next, late this year or early next.