Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 map does look interesting, I note that many previous 2016 chargers are on there now (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, the ones south of ft macleod, etc)
But it also shows one half way between Revelstoke and Kamloops, (Sicamous maybe?) that's interesting, as well as one in what appears to be Nanaimo, that's a very nice addition.
I also note that south of ft Macleod it looks like they now plan 2 routes, one angled east, one west, that's appreciated.

"Opening Soon" for Calgary is interesting indeed. That usually implies that construction is well under way. Unfortunately Calgary is a much larger place to search for a charger than most of the small towns, but I may try looking in a couple of my "hunch" locations to see if I can find anything.

Of course the refusal to head East from Calgary is frustrating (though not nearly as frustrating as I'm sure it is for @S'toon )

The proposed superchargers in the Tonasket / Omak area and the Wenatchee area will complete a supercharged route along Hwy 97 from Kamloops south to California and onto the Mexican border (by a variety of routes in California). Also provides another supercharged connection to the I90 corridor.

Nice option for those in the southern interior of BC as Hwy 97 is essentially valley bottom down to Oregon (Wenatchee to Ellensburg being the exception).

Was hoping they would add something along the southern route near Princeton or Osoyoos and also along the Duffy Lake route in Lillooet or north towards 100 Mile House if Tesla is planning to connect to Alaska. At least there seems to be another SpC in Sicamous for 60kW people coming from Kelowna via Vernon and Armstrong.

I spy a Whitefish (or Kalispell) SC. Great news there. Very interesting they are putting one in Sicamous. Seems a bit overkill but that route will be busy when M3 is out so it's probably a good idea. Glad to see Seattle area is getting a bunch. It will make drives down there a lot easier.

If Calgary SC is under construction, how have we not found it yet?! It has to be somewhere to support North/South trips and West/East trips. Deerfoot/16th, Deerfoot/Stoney, Deerfoot/Glenmore. Near COP is another idea but that would mess up the North/South trips.

Reactions: doubeld
Great to see Sicamous (Assuming it's not Salmon Arm -- it's a good intersection of highways). Offers the ability to drive faster/skip certain SCs. Looks like Highway 1 east of Calgary will probably not be covered until at least the Model 3 starts rolling out. Again, much to @S'toon 's disappointment as he makes us aware of in every single one of his posts ;)

I think Osoyoos would be a great future location as opposed to whatever is immediately south of the border - again, it's a tourist stop, as well as a crossroads of two primary highways and the right distance from the Kelowna SC. Fortunately southern BC and the Okanagan valley specifically already have a decent amount of destination chargers. There are no popular E-W Interstates just south of the CA/US border from what I recall compared to CA HWY 3.

For Calgary, I think East Hills (Stoney Trail & 17th Ave SE) would be one of the best locations for travelers away from local users but I haven't seen any SC-looking construction there on my last few visits over the last month.

Reactions: derekasch
Great to see Sicamous (Assuming it's not Salmon Arm -- it's a good intersection of highways). Offers the ability to drive faster/skip certain SCs.
While I'd love to have a charger there eventually, in a world where you simply can't drive to many destinations, and where the existing superchargers are empty most of the time, adding additional capacity along that same route is a monumentally stupid decision. Save the money, put that charger in Brooks or Medicine Hat instead. At least then you're allowing new travel instead of allowing exactly the same travel but at more expense.

For Calgary, I think East Hills (Stoney Trail & 17th Ave SE) would be one of the best locations for travelers away from local users but I haven't seen any SC-looking construction there on my last few visits over the last month.
With no superchargers east of Calgary, forcing people to visit the east of Calgary to go between Canmore and Red Deer, or Canmore and Ft MacLeod would be positively insane. That would be a horrid location. Best locations would be the new development near COP, or CrossIron Mills (no one location will be good for travel in all directions, but at least you can pick one that isn't bad for all directions)

Now I did hear a rumour from a relatively reliable source about putting it at Deerfoot City (the old Deerfoot mall) Which, while not ideal, would also not be horrible. I've also heard pretty reliable information about putting it near Chinook Mall, or the new service centre (also rumoured to be near there) Both of which would be abysmally bad locations. However until I see evidence of SC construction I view all rumours with a bit of skepticism.

I did send an email to the Supercharger Team Congratulating them on getting the 2017 Map Plan up, but also shared the Disappointment that there was nearly no more Superchargers connecting Sudbury with Winnipeg, or Winnipeg with Calgary & Edmonton, as well as Edmonton with Prince George, and Hope With Prince George. I included suggested Cities and included a collection of images for those ideas, as well as a suggestion they not forget Northern Japan - Hokkaido!

Here are the images as saved:

12-18-2016_Winnipeg-to-British-Columbia_2017-Suggestions_Post-Tesla-2017-Map-Update.jpg

12-18-2016_Winnipeg-Sudbury_2017-Suggestions_Post-Tesla-2017-Map-Update.jpg

12-18-2016_Maine-plus-Eastern-Canada_2017-Suggestions_Post-Tesla-2017-Map-Update.jpg

12-18-2016_South-West-Ontario_2017-Suggestions_Post-Tesla-2017-Map-Update.jpg

Plus Japan - Hokkaido Suggestions:
12-18-2016_Northern-Japan_Hokkaido_2017-Suggestions_Post-Tesla-2017-Map-Update.jpg

I hope they pick at least some of the Canadian Suggestions to add to their 2017 & 2018 Game Plan! For our Sake of course! And - even dropping a Station in Sapporo, Japan, would show a bit of better support for Northern Japanese! Also asked if they could post the 2018 Plan Map by the Time the Start Delivering the Model 3's! (Hoping that Mine is ready to finalize about December, 2017!)

While I'd love to have a charger there eventually, in a world where you simply can't drive to many destinations, and where the existing superchargers are empty most of the time, adding additional capacity along that same route is a monumentally stupid decision. Save the money, put that charger in Brooks or Medicine Hat instead. At least then you're allowing new travel instead of allowing exactly the same travel but at more expense.

I agree with you. I would also bet that if Tesla crunched the numbers looking at their existing fleet travel directions (hard to calculate along routes that don't exist - I get that) it would probably be 60/40 in favour of some redundancy along the Hwy1 BC route. There is a LOT of RV/Boat/Snowmobile traffic coming from Alberta and heading to the Shuswap/Sicamous and such, and I would bet those Model X owners going from Revy to Sicamous/Salmon Arm and back would absolutely be thrilled to have the Sicamous charger. Pulling RVs is a huge drain for electric vehicles and more regular spacing will definitely help. I think it's a numbers/dollars game and Tesla must know what they're doing.
As someone that has family in Medicine Hat and Winnipeg, I'm also disappointed to see the lack of eastbound SCs. Looking at the www.model3tracker.info site shows a tiny bit of support (though nothing between Calgary and Moose Jaw) and obviously Tesla probably used their Model 3 reservation numbers/geodata to figure out if it would have been worthwhile to put in SCs east of Calgary. Again, chicken and egg problem but I don't know if those numbers work for them yet.

With no superchargers east of Calgary, forcing people to visit the east of Calgary to go between Canmore and Red Deer, or Canmore and Ft MacLeod would be positively insane. That would be a horrid location. Best locations would be the new development near COP, or CrossIron Mills (no one location will be good for travel in all directions, but at least you can pick one that isn't bad for all directions)

Now I did hear a rumour from a relatively reliable source about putting it at Deerfoot City (the old Deerfoot mall) Which, while not ideal, would also not be horrible. I've also heard pretty reliable information about putting it near Chinook Mall, or the new service centre (also rumoured to be near there) Both of which would be abysmally bad locations. However until I see evidence of SC construction I view all rumours with a bit of skepticism.

Yeah you're right, the East Hills location would possibly be a good secondary location if there was already something on the north or west ends of the city. Perhaps Beacon Hill? It's on the ring road and lots of shopping/restaurants but no hotels according to memory. I'm not sure what I would do with Calgary if I was Tesla. Ideally you might want up to 4 SCs - one on each end of the city (CrossIron, East Hills, COP, Okotoks/Aldersyde?)

I've been around Deefoot City a bunch and have yet to see any SC crates lying around.

I did send an email to the Supercharger Team Congratulating them on getting the 2017 Map Plan up, but also shared the Disappointment that there was nearly no more Superchargers connecting Sudbury with Winnipeg, or Winnipeg with Calgary & Edmonton, as well as Edmonton with Prince George, and Hope With Prince George. I included suggested Cities and included a collection of images for those ideas, as well as a suggestion they not forget Northern Japan - Hokkaido!

Here are the images as saved:

View attachment 206371
View attachment 206372
View attachment 206373
View attachment 206374

Plus Japan - Hokkaido Suggestions:
View attachment 206375

I hope they pick at least some of the Canadian Suggestions to add to their 2017 & 2018 Game Plan! For our Sake of course! And - even dropping a Station in Sapporo, Japan, would show a bit of better support for Northern Japanese! Also asked if they could post the 2018 Plan Map by the Time the Start Delivering the Model 3's! (Hoping that Mine is ready to finalize about December, 2017!)
Awesome suggestions...I agree with all of them. I'm not sure Tesla does......
Of note: I live near Orangeville Ontario....where you suggest a SC on the way to Owen Sound. I have an HPWC on Plugshare and i get (especially in winter) a number of Teslas stop in on the way home from Owen Sound or Collingwood, who NEED to charge. Good call on the SC placement here, as few would put it on the map.

Definitely calgary is much needed recently did a 10,500 km trip down to San Francisco/AZ area and back and the main place which held me up was waiting on a 80amp charge at Carl's Jr in Calgary. Only other issue was in San Mateo were all 12 superchargers were being used (most not charging) although lots of other superchargers were relatively close.

Definitely calgary is much needed recently did a 10,500 km trip down to San Francisco/AZ area and back and the main place which held me up was waiting on a 80amp charge at Carl's Jr in Calgary. Only other issue was in San Mateo were all 12 superchargers were being used (most not charging) although lots of other superchargers were relatively close.
Theoretically you can get from Red Deer to Canmore on a charge, but I know it's a bit tight.

If the supercharger map was perfectly accurate, it would appear to be around the intersection of the Stoney Trail NE and Trans Canada Highway but is there anything around there? I think your Deerfoot City is more likely, but someone would have seen the construction there. Near the Co-op (South of the Scotiabank) at 68 Street NE and the Trans Canada Highway (16 Ave NE) might be viable? Alternatively, near Stoney Trail NE and highway 1A.

Last edited:
If the supercharger map was perfectly accurate, it would appear to be around the intersection of the Stoney Trail NE and Trans Canada Highway but is there anything around there? I think your Deerfoot City is more likely, but someone would have seen the construction there.
The supercharger map is simply not accurate enough to come up with that level of estimate. By my reading they simply put the dot at the intersection of hwy 2 and hwy 1, despite the fact that it's highly unlikely to end up at that location (there's nothing there) As to where it really is, either someone will spot the construction/crates, or we'll have to wait until they open it and update the page.

Well I took the plunge,
ordered an inventory model S.
Beating the cutoff to free supercharging pushed me over the edge :D
Also getting a big discount (presumably because of AP1)
put it close to a super upgraded 3, (I'm guessing)
SO YES ELON YOUR EVIL PLOT OF THE S60 WORKED.
Now if I can only fit it in my garage...
Literally will have to use summon because I will be unable to open the doors in the garage,
and have to cut out one step to the house.
So..... My point is happy these SC are on the map,
looking forward to Montana access and maybe something near cranbrook to take the US route

• Funny
Reactions: Vger
... obviously Tesla probably used their Model 3 reservation numbers/geodata to figure out if it would have been worthwhile to put in SCs east of Calgary. Again, chicken and egg problem but I don't know if those numbers work for them yet.
I think Tesla needs to see that a Supercharger route across Canada would have benefits beyond what those numbers may show. Aside from the practical benefits, wouldn't it be great marketing to be able to say that Canada is connected from west to east? The above-posted maps suggest that a minimum of twelve additional SC sites are needed to join the existing and planned SCs. That's substantial, but not huge compared to what Tesla has already done. Of course, that's not including additional sites to connect the Maritimes.

Also, on a personal level, had we been driving a Tesla on our most recent road trip to Canada, the suggested SC site at Saskatchewan River Crossing, AB (between Banff and Jasper) would have been particularly helpful. EDIT: Just realized that there's no dot there - the dot I was seeing is a bit west of the parks. Having plenty of charging in and around popular parks is generally a great thing, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekasch
Also, on a personal level, had we been driving a Tesla on our most recent road trip to Canada, the suggested SC site at Saskatchewan River Crossing, AB (between Banff and Jasper) would have been particularly helpful. EDIT: Just realized that there's no dot there - the dot I was seeing is a bit west of the parks. Having plenty of charging in and around popular parks is generally a great thing, nonetheless.
I agree that sask crossing would be an excellent supercharger location, I'd also like to see one in Rocky Mountain House. That said, Given a choice, I'd rather they reach towards Saskatchewan first as it's more likely to help more people.

I've often felt that Tesla has an issue with prioritization. I mean take a look at where the first Canadian Supercharger was, Squamish! While not an entirely unreasonable place eventually, it's such a low priority compared with any of the others as to be laughable. It was not put in to allow Canadians to road trip, it was put in to allow Americans to ski at Whistler. I realize Tesla is an American company, but they need to start looking at the Canadian map from a Canadian perspective.