Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys Idk about you but I am anxiously waiting for more Tesla chargers in BC. I am talking about West & North Vancouver and White Rock, BC. The amount of Teslas in the lower mainland is insane. It is like the bay area! The 2 Tesla chargers downtown are garbage tbh, and the Surrey one is always full, the Delta charger is out of the way on HWY 99, Whistler charger is just a mess and the only good chargers IMO is Richmond, Squamish, and Abbotsford.

Richmond -> 20 Stalls all 150kW by CF center, pretty good
Squamish -> 12 Stalls 150kW such a good location for food and a break
Abbotsford -> 12 Stalls 250kW just of HWY 1, perfect

All the other chargers feel hard to access, super busy, and worst of all slow (72kW urban chargers) that are in a parking lot where the parking costs more than the charging (facepalm).

Do you think Tesla will soon start to come out with more chargers for BC because of the super-strong Tesla presence?.

Hope you have a safe drive softcoder.

The Burrard street Supercharger in down town has limited stalls, but parking (pay) is cheap there with great food court two floors above. Only had to wait a few times.

The Pacific Center has bad direction signs in both trying to find what was Canada's Largest Supercharger (22 stalls), and in trying to find the exit after you unplug to get out before you pass the 1 hour mark and get dinged more parking fees. (parking run by City of Vancouver).

No TSC in Burnaby. The one large mall that Tesla wanted to put them, it is aleged that the Mall wanted super high rent per month a TSC station. Needless to say, Tesla went elsewhere. Those Urban, it is suspected are then ones that ended up in the Surry expansion.

Surrey now has 20 stalls and no more line ups. I use it twice weekly.

Abbotsford is under ground, to the NW corner. Close to Hwy 1.

Squamish, great TSC's north of town.

South Delta, is where it is to charge folks coming and going from the Ferry's to the Islands.

Forget Whistler under the Fairmont Hotel. Usually ICE'ed and over prices parking.

Food for thought,
Cheers, Hugh-SG

Hope you have a safe drive softcoder.

The Burrard street Supercharger in down town has limited stalls, but parking (pay) is cheap there with great food court two floors above. Only had to wait a few times.

The Pacific Center has bad direction signs in both trying to find what was Canada's Largest Supercharger (22 stalls), and in trying to find the exit after you unplug to get out before you pass the 1 hour mark and get dinged more parking fees. (parking run by City of Vancouver).

No TSC in Burnaby. The one large mall that Tesla wanted to put them, it is aleged that the Mall wanted super high rent per month a TSC station. Needless to say, Tesla went elsewhere. Those Urban, it is suspected are then ones that ended up in the Surry expansion.

Surrey now has 20 stalls and no more line ups. I use it twice weekly.

Abbotsford is under ground, to the NW corner. Close to Hwy 1.

Squamish, great TSC's north of town.

South Delta, is where it is to charge folks coming and going from the Ferry's to the Islands.

Forget Whistler under the Fairmont Hotel. Usually ICE'ed and over prices parking.

Food for thought,
Cheers, Hugh-SG
Eventually, every (slightly big) city in the lower mainland will have a Tesla charging station. Due to the huge amount of new Teslas selling and doubling the cars on the road every year. Especially in BC where Tesla sales are booming!

To keep up with demand the chargers should hopefully double.

Reactions: Hugh-SG
Eventually, every (slightly big) city in the lower mainland will have a Tesla charging station. Due to the huge amount of new Teslas selling and doubling the cars on the road every year. Especially in BC where Tesla sales are booming!

To keep up with demand the chargers should hopefully double.

I quite enjoy the drive out to Guildford and the Surrey TSC. Gives the battery a chance to warm up. :cool:

FYI... I drove past Tesla's delivery prep center on Great Northern Way last Friday coming home from getting the FSD 3.0 Computer upgrade to my 2016 MX.

It was wall to wall Model-3's out front, too numerous to count. :)

Out of town, I feel the next places to get TSC 250kw's should be...

1... Cache Creek (which is at Permit stage) to enable scenic tourist drives up and down the Fraser Canyon from Hope TSC to Kamloop TSC. (and a staging point for all those Model-3's heading home to Prince George).

2... Tete Juane Cache and at least one other on the highway north of Kamloops (say Blue River), to enable access to the coming Jasper National Park TSC.

Two mid park at Rocky Mtn House Junction and Lake Louise would be nice as the long haul from Jasper to Canmor could be a bit of a nail biter.

Food for thought,
Cheers, Hugh-SG

I quite enjoy the drive out to Guildford and the Surrey TSC. Gives the battery a chance to warm up. :cool:

FYI... I drove past Tesla's delivery prep center on Great Northern Way last Friday coming home from getting the FSD 3.0 Computer upgrade to my 2016 MX.

It was wall to wall Model-3's out front, too numerous to count. :)

Out of town, I feel the next places to get TSC 250kw's should be...

1... Cache Creek (which is at Permit stage) to enable scenic tourist drives up and down the Fraser Canyon from Hope TSC to Kamloop TSC. (and a staging point for all those Model-3's heading home to Prince George).

2... Tete Juane Cache and at least one other on the highway north of Kamloops (say Blue River), to enable access to the coming Jasper National Park TSC.

Two mid park at Rocky Mtn House Junction and Lake Louise would be nice as the long haul from Jasper to Canmor could be a bit of a nail biter.

Food for thought,
Cheers, Hugh-SG
Just wondering, what is a TSC?

Someone added this location on PlugShare earlier today. Whoever added it placed in Creston’s public parking lot which also has a BC Hydro DCFC. I’m thinking this is legit because he also added locations in other cities which are said to get Superchargers this year at the right location. I’m asking around right now to confirm. Thoughts?
76ABD9B7-C3D3-4228-953D-495095D6E9C6.jpeg
1CEBA131-14FE-46B1-806D-58E685050578.jpeg

Someone added this location on PlugShare earlier today. Whoever added it placed in Creston’s public parking lot which also has a BC Hydro DCFC. I’m thinking this is legit because he also added locations in other cities which are said to get Superchargers this year at the right location. I’m asking around right now to confirm. Thoughts? View attachment 560070 View attachment 560072
Thoughts: Anyone in those areas to see if the permits went through and construction started?

Thoughts: Anyone in those areas to see if the permits went through and construction started?

Osoyoos, Grand Forks, and Castlegar show no sign of being constructed - I went through each of those in the last few weeks. I'm going through Creston in a few weeks and can check on the ground. No permits that I'm aware of aside from Osoyoos, but apparently it is hung up with someone on mat leave (according to a post in the Osoyoos thread).

Note I don't see any of these on Plugshare - so were they already taken down?

Nope.

You have to toggle the “Coming Soon” locations on your map filters

I had that filter on yesterday. Toggled it off/on today and still not seeing them. But, I’m also not seeing a L2 charger that I know exists in Grand Forks... so maybe something is amiss with my PlugShare app.

edit: I selected ‘show incompatible plugs’ and turned on CCS; the kissing L2 turned up, but still no ‘coming soon’ Superchargers.

I had that filter on yesterday. Toggled it off/on today and still not seeing them. But, I’m also not seeing a L2 charger that I know exists in Grand Forks... so maybe something is amiss with my PlugShare app.

edit: I selected ‘show incompatible plugs’ and turned on CCS; the kissing L2 turned up, but still no ‘coming soon’ Superchargers.
PlugShare generally deletes community added Super Charger locations. They only use official Tesla data. So maybe it was there but the admins deleted it.

[QUOTE="Poobearcretu, post: 4783986, member: 81646"

Do you think Tesla will soon start to come out with more chargers for BC because of the super-strong Tesla presence?
.[/QUOTE]

Well, BC and QC are Tesla's biggest markets in Canada now and they're also where Supercharger construction is most sluggish. Unfortunately, it appears Tesla takes these provinces for granted to a certain extent. They're where the incentives are greatest and the highest percentages of people believe in climate change, so Tesla may believe they don't need to market there as much. :(

Even Quebec having a ZEV law hasn't moved the needle. (Tesla sales of QC ZEV credits may have been the difference in turning a Q1 profit, but still only one new Supercharger there in 18 months).

• Helpful
Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
Drove the Hope-Princeton highway this weekend. Princeton and/or Osoyoos SCs are badly needed. I have a Chademo adapter and managed to hit Manning Park on the way, but it's a single charger and very busy. Other EVs need it to get over the park I think. Hope Slide is a nice 2xL3 spot and a cool lookout spot.

Beyond that Princeton, Keremeos, and Osoyoos all have L3 DCFC, but the rates they charge are comical... $0.35min. For ~40kW on my adapter? Pass.

Well, BC and QC are Tesla's biggest markets in Canada now and they're also where Supercharger construction is most sluggish. Unfortunately, it appears Tesla takes these provinces for granted to a certain extent. They're where the incentives are greatest and the highest percentages of people believe in climate change, so Tesla may believe they don't need to market there as much.
Uncoincidentally, they're also where there has been the most investment in 3rd party fast charging infrastructure (by government and other businesses). So, while superchargers are way better than having to use the pricey and speed-limited CHAdeMO adapter and are therefore needed to improve the experience for Tesla owners in these areas, it's still true that the absolute need for superchargers has been much less in terms of providing coverage to major routes that didn't have any other fast charging options.

That said, I don't disagree with your base premise that Tesla needs to get back to building more superchargers in areas of dense ownership where they had been put off during the push to get the TCH finished.