Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s happened with the update frequency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i haven’t had time to run the analysis, but in my 18mths of ownership I don’t remember such a delay between software updates. 2018.48 was the last substantive release and we are coming up on a couple of months now. Should we expect a big one? Why do you think pace has slowed? V9 still has a number of bugs to iron out so would have expected those to be a focus of attention at least.

I wonder if their plans to lay off 7% of their workforce and shift efforts to making profits on the Model 3 has anything to do with their priorities on updates.

I wouldn't have thought so. Compared to the rest of the operation, I would imagine that the software teams are pretty small. They've had busier times in the past and still rolled out frequent updates.

With the fast rate that Tesla expanded last year, and with the increased automation for Model 3 production, coupled with the streamlining of the S/X options - some of the staff reduction may have been for excess capacity and some mis-hires (staff that didn't work out).

Though Tesla is still in "delivery/support hell" having to quickly add more customer support, delivery and service capacity to support the rapidly expanding number of owners & vehicles, and that's going to require more people, along with additional locations for service centers.