Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're not dumb, it's just that people need time to adapt. They're fed misinformation all the time by vested interests, and only seeing and experiencing the state of the art in electric vehicles is going to change their minds.
Thanks alb. That’s really what I was thinking. People aren’t really dumb, but in many cases misinformed. I try to help where I can..

Reactions: APotatoGod
Me I have a generator.

How do you get fuel for your generator if the power goes out? :D

People worry about the most theoretical things. If the power is out for long enough to impact your transportation, there are probably more pressing questions. Of course, the most disaster resistant solution of all would be to have an EV and a solar system capable of charging the car off-grid. Then the question becomes "What do you do if the roads are all buckled and the bridges are all down? Personally, I'm not married to my car, I have two legs.:rolleyes:

Him: That's all good, being electric and all, but how do you fill up if the power goes out?
Me: How do you fill up your gas car if the power goes out?
Him: Dumb, speechless look.
With solar and Powerwalls, anyone can easily produce their own electricity when the grid is down. Not too many people can refine their own gas at home. :)

All from the same guy (window tinter). They really do good work though, just couldn't quite grasp the EV concept...

Guy: Is this an electric car?
Me: Yep, all electric.
Guy: How many cylinders does it have?
Me: None. It doesn't have an engine, only two electric motors and a big battery.
Guy: Oh, wow! . . . So how big is the gas tank?
Me: It doesn't have one, it only has electric motors and a battery pack.
Guy: OK, but, like, how many spark plugs does it have?
Me: Here, I'll pop the hood and you can check it out. [POP] See, no engine, just a small extra trunk and no engine.
Guy: [CRICKETS]

He then got called away to do something. I don't know whether he ever did get the concept of an EV.

I’ve run across the same exact situation once or twice a week. Best analogy I’ve used is “it works just like really big R/C car with the steering wheel and pedals as the controls”, they get that concept quickly and move on to range, charging etc.

Your phone is your key? What if somebody steals your phone?
My answer What if somebody steals your key?
Dumbest? There was a guy on the Bimmerfest forums insisting that the electrical motors would cause physical ailments due to electromagnetic interference. He claimed that he had health problems when driving a Prius that cleared up when he got back into a BMW.

Now that's pretty dumb. Probably wears one of those magic bracelets to 'balance the ions in his blood using magnetism'.
Even when I drove a BMW I thought most people on bimmerfest were idiots.

With propane and propane accessories.

Seriously though, once I do get a generator it will be a dual fuel one that works off of propane. Propane doesn't go bad after sitting a while like gas and it still fairly easy to obtain during a prolonged power outage situation.

With propane and propane accessories.

Seriously though, once I do get a generator it will be a dual fuel one that works off of propane. Propane doesn't go bad after sitting a while like gas and it still fairly easy to obtain during a prolonged power outage situation.
Awesome PoitNarf. Love it. My generator uses natural gas. Goes as long as needed.

People worry about the most theoretical things. If the power is out for long enough to impact your transportation, there are probably more pressing questions. Of course, the most disaster resistant solution of all would be to have an EV and a solar system capable of charging the car off-grid. Then the question becomes "What do you do if the roads are all buckled and the bridges are all down? Personally, I'm not married to my car, I have two legs.:rolleyes:
Great last resort Stealth. Feet. Who da thunk.

This one is technically true (regarding manufacture) but after 6-18 months of actual use (depending on the EV and amount of use) it has evened back up, and all EV use after that is heavily in favor of the EV.
That is a lopsided argument about the battery manufacturing, if one were to an apples to apples comparison, the length of incremental efficiency increase that brought ICE manufacturing to the current efficiency needs to be taken into account. It took a better part of last 100 years to develop ICE and it's infrastructure to the current efficiencies, let's say from a emission point of view.
If I take the emissions of those 100 years of ICE into account, then based on the length that the auto batteries have been in production for, the battery emissions argument has no legs to stand on, ICE has been far far worse.