Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
him: Why do you stop to charge it? Why not just put generators on the wheels and keep going?

me: Because generators consume more energy than they produce. It would reduce my range.

him: You're stuck in the old days. New generators are much more efficient.

me: Probably true, but not so efficient that they make more energy than it takes to turn them.

him: Well, you also probably think that I'm suggesting putting them on the drive wheels. Nope! You'd put them on the wheels that are otherwise just spinning and wasting all that energy.

I wish I were kidding.

Oh dood. You stole my next one! I've had the windmill suggestion several times over the years.

And heck, why not put bigger tire son the back than on the front so that the car is always going downhill??

Why didn't I think of that? If you combine both ideas (bigger back tires and a rooftop wind generator), then all you would need to charge it back up is a circular driveway! Combine those two ideas with Autopilot (and a sandbag in the driver's seat) and it could recharge at night while you sleep. Kiss the power company goodbye!

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
Why didn't I think of that? If you combine both ideas (bigger back tires and a rooftop wind generator), then all you would need to charge it back up is a circular driveway! Combine those two ideas with Autopilot (and a sandbag in the driver's seat) and it could recharge at night while you sleep. Kiss the power company goodbye!
A perpetual motion machine.

Reactions: focher
I don't hear a whole lot of dumb things.

I do find Jeremy Clarkson to be rather irritating about EV's though.

Where he claims he doesn't have time to fill up, and yet I bought an EV partly because I didn't want to be bothered to fill up an ICE car.

I'm far too lazy for that, and I love being able to plug in at home.
HUGE net time savings. Sure there are some people who insist that filling an ICE car takes 2 minutes, but they are idiots. I'll take my 10 minutes a week savings and take a 1 hour hit on my long trips twice a year.

In the early days of Tesla they had a slogan "Burn rubber, not gasoline!"

Someone asked a Tesla rep "where do I put the rubber pellets into the car?" :confused:

burned1.jpg

him: Why do you stop to charge it? Why not just put generators on the wheels and keep going?

me: Because generators consume more energy than they produce. It would reduce my range.

him: You're stuck in the old days. New generators are much more efficient.

me: Probably true, but not so efficient that they make more energy than it takes to turn them.

him: Well, you also probably think that I'm suggesting putting them on the drive wheels. Nope! You'd put them on the wheels that are otherwise just spinning and wasting all that energy.

I wish I were kidding.
Let us not forget this classic thread.