Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All from the same guy (window tinter). They really do good work though, just couldn't quite grasp the EV concept...

Guy: Is this an electric car?
Me: Yep, all electric.
Guy: How many cylinders does it have?
Me: None. It doesn't have an engine, only two electric motors and a big battery.
Guy: Oh, wow! . . . So how big is the gas tank?
Me: It doesn't have one, it only has electric motors and a battery pack.
Guy: OK, but, like, how many spark plugs does it have?
Me: Here, I'll pop the hood and you can check it out. [POP] See, no engine, just a small extra trunk and no engine.
Guy: [CRICKETS]

He then got called away to do something. I don't know whether he ever did get the concept of an EV.

People always complain about the lack of engine noise. They tell me car is fun to drive but would really miss engine winding out and transmission shifting.
A few years ago I was at a stop light with only one car behind me and squealed the tires all the way across the intersection. Big cloud of smoke! All the pedestrians looked a the Honda behind me like he did it!

Sadly, this is partially factual, at least for my 2012 Nissan LEAF. After 7 years it’s range is about half the original EPA range, and about ⅓ of the range for which the car was marketed. The “fix” is a replacement for $8500 plus labor, for a vehicle with a market value of less than half that number.

Similar situation here. Luckily within 5 year warranty period and Nissan replaced at no charge. Sold it for 5K and got the 3.

People always complain about the lack of engine noise. They tell me car is fun to drive but would really miss engine winding out and transmission shifting.

This may be dumb to you and to a lot of folks on here, but I personally don't think it's a blanket dumb statement.

Engine noise and exhaust notes are a very guttural part of ICE vehicles, and are one aspect of higher end vehicles that manufacturers spend a good portion of their R&D developing. It's not just a sound that is emitted; you can definitely tell the general performance level of an ICE engine by the sound it outputs, which is why they are tuned by manufacturers and hobbyists alike.

Third party outfitters such as Saleen even are going as far as tuning the electric motor whine that comes from their modified Saleen Model S vehicles.

As far as transmission goes, I don't think that is dumb at all either. I've driven exclusively manual transmission vehicles since I've been able to drive, and their is a lot of enjoyment in being physically connected to the drivetrain of the vehicle. Gears are necessary to optimize power output in a variety of machines, and without the modern transmission cars would be terribly inefficient.

EDIT: Here is an excellent video explaining why EVs generally don't have transmissions, and also showcases a situation where a champion Formula E team used a transmission when generally it isn't considered optimal.

Racing teams are usually where cars will inherit technology from, so it isn't far fetched to say that a mass produced EV sports car with a transmission may be seen in the future.

Last edited:
They tell me car is fun to drive but would really miss engine winding out and transmission shifting.

I agree though mostly for performance cars. I could never go back to ICE as a daily driver but if $10M showed up in my bank account I'm buying another AMG. They have teams of people tuning the engine and exhaust to give off celebratory crackles and pops and it's a totally different experience.