Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the one thing you like the least about your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bluetooth is an unreliable protocol upon which to base something as important as access to your car. My phone has been working flawlessly for several months now, but I know that I have to remember the key card just in case. So now I need TWO things, not just one. And the Tesla keyfob is a joke.

What? You wouldn't normally bring your phone with you? If you don't like the way BT works, then don't use it. It really is as simple as that! I don't for a minute believe that BT is not up to the task because it performs flawlessly for us on two cars with two phones and numerous software updates on both cars and both phones. It just plain works. And we picked up our first Model 3 back in May 2018 so it's been working perfectly for ages.

Speaking for myself, I love the excellent functionality of the BT proximity Lock/Unlock. It's a stand-out feature. But if you don't like it, for whatever reason, don't use it! I hope the bellyaching by people who have poor BT phones or poorly written apps messing with the reliability of the phone's BT NEVER cause this feature to go away. Personally, I think Tesla can see through all the complaining for what it is, a bunch of noise and bellyaching by people who have messed up phones. So I'm pretty sure it's here to stay! :cool:

What? You wouldn't normally bring your phone with you? If you don't like the way BT works, then don't use it. It really is as simple as that! I don't for a minute believe that BT is not up to the task because it performs flawlessly for us on two cars with two phones and numerous software updates on both cars and both phones. It just plain works. And we picked up our first Model 3 back in May 2018 so it's been working perfectly for ages.

Speaking for myself, I love the excellent functionality of the BT proximity Lock/Unlock. It's a stand-out feature. But if you don't like it, for whatever reason, don't use it! I hope the bellyaching by people who have poor BT phones or poorly written apps messing with the reliability of the phone's BT NEVER cause this feature to go away. Personally, I think Tesla can see through all the complaining for what it is, a bunch of noise and bellyaching by people who have messed up phones. So I'm pretty sure it's here to stay! :cool:

In fact, I often used to go out without my phone. And I almost never took my phone with me when I went into a store. I am not a slave to my phone. I like not having to have it with me all the time. Sure, I could just use the key card instead, and have to pull it out of my wallet every time I want to lock or unlock the car. The Prius key fob lived in my pocket. I never had to take it out and it never failed to work properly. Ever. I use the phone key because I don't want to have to pull anything out to open the car.

If I was the only person who ever had trouble with BT, you'd be justified in criticizing me, or maybe even my phone. But thousands of people have had their phones not work. It is not acceptable for a car maker to require buyers either to buy one of the few phones that work consistently (and have an encyclopedic knowledge of which apps must not be installed!!!) or pay an extra $250 for the crappiest key fob of any new car today, or make do with the even crappier key card.

I get it that you are one of the few people smart enough to buy your particular brand and model of phone, and clever enough to know exactly which apps not to install. You are brilliant. You are the elect and will surely be inducted into the heavenly choir when you die. But not everybody is as great or as brilliant or as clever as you are, and thousands of people, if not tens of thousands, have, at one time or another, had their phones fail to work because Bluetooth is a wonky protocol that works most of the time, but is not nearly reliable enough to allow the masses of Tesla owners to be able to always get into their car when they want to.

I wish it had cross traffic warning for backing up into traffic and an auto opening trunk in case your hands are full. I think we'll get the cross traffic in an update some day. The auto trunk should be added as an option or standard equipment on a newer model by Tesla IMO. I'm also not too happy with the phone holder. It can't handle thick phones with a case on them. It needs to be adjustable to grip the phone you have better.

Sure, I could just use the key card instead, and have to pull it out of my wallet every time I want to lock or unlock the car.

Actually, it's not necessary to pull your Key Card out of your wallet to use it. I keep mine behind my credit cards, driver's license, etc. and it never leaves that spot. If I'm puttering around the house and I don't have my phone with me when I need to unlock the car I just swipe my wallet on the B pillar and the car magically unlocks. No problem!

It is not acceptable for a car maker to require buyers either to buy one of the few phones that work consistently (and have an encyclopedic knowledge of which apps must not be installed!!!) or pay an extra $250 for the crappiest key fob of any new car today, or make do with the even crappier key card.

You are mistaken. There are hundreds of phones that work flawlessly if they are not corrupted by crappy apps. And the key fob is not $250, it's only $150, that's the most affordable key fob from ANY manufacturer! I don't want another device that needs regular battery changes so I didn't buy one, the phone/keycard combo works great. But Model 3 key fobs are not as expensive as you claim.

I get it that you are one of the few people smart enough to buy your particular brand and model of phone, and clever enough to know exactly which apps not to install. You are brilliant. You are the elect and will surely be inducted into the heavenly choir when you die.

Hey! No need to cop an attitude and attack the messenger. I can't help it if life mistreats you or you are unhappy for undefinable reasons. For your information, I already had the Samsung phone before we took delivery of our first Model 3. And I've always avoided crappy apps because I know how they can mess up the phone user experience - this is not unique to the Model 3, there are millions of poorly written apps out there.

Bluetooth is a wonky protocol that works most of the time, but is not nearly reliable enough to allow the masses of Tesla owners to be able to always get into their car when they want to.

Bluetooth is not a "wonky protocol that works most of the time", it's an industry standard for wireless communication that has been improved and had its capabilities expanded over the years with well-defined protocols manufacturers and software developers must adhere to. It is the industry standard for short-range wireless data and communication primarily because it is so robust using techniques like Adaptive Frequency Hopping and Advanced Error Correction to further increase the utility and reduce interference from other transmissions. Bluetooth is used in mission critical applications in space, oil and natural gas industries, manufacturing and automotive industries. If you are having issues, I suggest you get a phone that has Bluetooth that adheres to the standards and is not corrupted by poor app management.

Alternatively, use one of the three other methods Tesla has provided to unlock your car (key card, optional fob or the cellular network). If none of those are acceptable in your "glass half full" world, then perhaps you should go back to your beloved Prius that works exactly how you prefer.

Personally, I love the seamless functionality of my phone doubling as my proximity key authentication because it's one less device to carry or lose or replace batteries in. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution.

Actually, it's not necessary to pull your Key Card out of your wallet to use it. I keep mine behind my credit cards, driver's license, etc. and it never leaves that spot. If I'm puttering around the house and I don't have my phone with me when I need to unlock the car I just swipe my wallet on the B pillar and the car magically unlocks. No problem!

You are mistaken. There are hundreds of phones that work flawlessly if they are not corrupted by crappy apps. And the key fob is not $250, it's only $150, that's the most affordable key fob from ANY manufacturer! I don't want another device that needs regular battery changes so I didn't buy one, the phone/keycard combo works great. But Model 3 key fobs are not as expensive as you claim.

Hey! No need to cop an attitude and attack the messenger. I can't help it if life mistreats you or you are unhappy for undefinable reasons. For your information, I already had the Samsung phone before we took delivery of our first Model 3. And I've always avoided crappy apps because I know how they can mess up the phone user experience - this is not unique to the Model 3, there are millions of poorly written apps out there.

Bluetooth is not a "wonky protocol that works most of the time", it's an industry standard for wireless communication that has been improved and had its capabilities expanded over the years with well-defined protocols manufacturers and software developers must adhere to. It is the industry standard for short-range wireless data and communication primarily because it is so robust using techniques like Adaptive Frequency Hopping and Advanced Error Correction to further increase the utility and reduce interference from other transmissions. Bluetooth is used in mission critical applications in space, oil and natural gas industries, manufacturing and automotive industries. If you are having issues, I suggest you get a phone that has Bluetooth that adheres to the standards and is not corrupted by poor app management.

Alternatively, use one of the three other methods Tesla has provided to unlock your car (key card, optional fob or the cellular network). If none of those are acceptable in your "glass half full" world, then perhaps you should go back to your beloved Prius that works exactly how you prefer.

Personally, I love the seamless functionality of my phone doubling as my proximity key authentication because it's one less device to carry or lose or replace batteries in. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution.
My iPhone works 100% of the time, every time. As does my iPod touch and the 3 other key cards I have.

I have an iPhone XS Max. BT is not 100% reliable for me. Most of the time it works, but occasionally I have to take it out my front pocket for whatever reason, and even less occasionally have to toggle Airplane mode on or off to make it unlock.

Bluetooth is not a reliable protocol at the best of times, but it does work most of the time, and all modern phones have it, so it makes sense to use it.

I have an iPhone XS Max. BT is not 100% reliable for me. Most of the time it works, but occasionally I have to take it out my front pocket for whatever reason, and even less occasionally have to toggle Airplane mode on or off to make it unlock.

Bluetooth is not a reliable protocol at the best of times, but it does work most of the time, and all modern phones have it, so it makes sense to use it.

The protocol works just fine, it has been tested more than probably any other modern wireless protocol. But it can't work if your phone has put the Bluetooth radio to sleep. I had to change the settings on my wife's phone to keep Bluetooth active at all times. Bluetooth LE (low energy) hardly uses any energy so my phone battery still lasts 1 1/2 days on a charge.

Fixed glass roof! Can't remember the last vehicle I owned that didn't have a moon roof that opens/tilts. Would have loved at least a tilt open feature to get fresh air in better. I prefer that to opening windows.

Well, it’s a trade off. Yes, you could likely have had a sunroof but it would
The protocol works just fine, it has been tested more than probably any other modern wireless protocol. But it can't work if your phone has put the Bluetooth radio to sleep. I had to change the settings on my wife's phone to keep Bluetooth active at all times. Bluetooth LE (low energy) hardly uses any energy so my phone battery still lasts 1 1/2 days on a charge.

I use Bluetooth extensively every single day. It’s not a flawless technology. Not really sure why you bring up the BT radio sleeping as that’s not relevant in my case.

Anyway, I’d wager most people have not had flawless experiences with BT working 100% of the time to unlock the car. Close to 100% I’d believe. But 100%? Na.

The phone key. It’s inconsistent. It fails to work at least 5 times a week.
Strangely my phone key is super effective, comes on every time without a hitch, I have a Galaxy s7 active, and partner has s7 Edge, both work flawlessly with car, I often turn off my bluetooth and if I forget to turn it on it connects to the car basically instantly, as soon as bluetooth is on I can open the car...I think it depends on the type of phone you have.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I use Bluetooth extensively every single day. It’s not a flawless technology. Not really sure why you bring up the BT radio sleeping as that’s not relevant in my case.

Anyway, I’d wager most people have not had flawless experiences with BT working 100% of the time to unlock the car. Close to 100% I’d believe. But 100%? Na.

There's no such thing as a flawless technology. Even a "flawless" diamond has flaws. And I didn't say the technology was flawless. Certainly, some of the implementations are not flawless. But Bluetooth is a well known technology that has matured and been proven over many years. It works 100% for unlocking both my car and my wife's car for over a year. I'm suggesting that Tesla's implementation of it is robust and well thought out and it's not up to Tesla to ensure that every other Bluetooth capable device and software is perfectly designed to the Bluetooth standards.

When BT is properly implemented, as it is on my phone and my wife's phone, it certainly is a great feature! I'm not holding Tesla's hand to the fire if it's discovered some phones are either corrupted or not up to the task to begin with. Who would blame Kodak if their cheap Praktica camera jammed the film? No reasonable person. As long as Kodak film was manufactured to the proper spec, it's up to the camera maker to ensure a reliable feeding mechanism. That's why we have standards.

The thing I like least is the media coverage of Tesla and the general population repeating the views of the media.

“They catch on fire”
“Terrible quality”
Etc..

Most people don’t intentionally hold those views, it’s just what they hear so they repeat it. After talking with them, they usually walk away with a more positive view. (The open minded people at least)

• Helpful
Reactions: RobbL